Computer Help forum

General discussion

Help!

My laptop has been unable to boot for about 6 months now, and last night, I just felt like trying it again, so I started it up, and was able to boot into safe mode. I'm using Windows XP Home SP2, with a 25gb hard drive, 224mb of ram, Celeron processor at 2.2ghz. The virus that is on my laptop has created an administrator account that is not visible under "user accounts", though is visible (but inaccessable) from the XP login page, consistently turns off my anti-virus software (sbc-yahoo online protection package), has taken away my access to windows installer with an error message that states "the system administrator has set policies to prevent this installation". gpedit does not work. I cannot go online. "administrator *" is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program, or batch file. I REALLY do not want to try to reboot it, seeing as how it's the first time I've gotten it to boot in 6 months. Any suggestions?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Help!
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Help!
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Let's talk about that administrator account.

In reply to: Help!

XP Home HIDES that account and all that is proper. Sadly I find many to never read a book, take a class or ever ask about this. At least you asked in a round about way. Here's an article about the Administrator account that only shows up during safe mode and a few other places and times -> http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20080616155205AAfqCiA

" gpedit does not work. "

GPEDIT was NEVER included with XP Home. Again, this could be where the fine manual (which didn't come with the machine) would be handy. If you must do this read http://forums.pcpitstop.com/index.php?showtopic=129347

In closing, what do you do for warranty and support?
Bob

Collapse -
a

In reply to: Let's talk about that administrator account.

umm, my warranty with dell is long passed, and sbc yahoo has a support line that will charge my ungodly amounts, and likely wont be as help as the 7 forums im posted in now (plus, you guys speak english), thanks for the articles, i'm getting on them now.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

Enter to win* a free holiday tech gift!

CNET's giving five lucky winners the gift of their choice valued up to $250!