General discussion

Help: 3.5mm to Speaker Terminals. Possible?

Hi,

I have a Yamaha receiver that has 6ch speaker terminals. I got 5.1ch speakers as a gift which has three 3.5mm jack cables: orange (center/subwoofer), green (front) and black (rear). Each of the front and rear speakers has an RCA cable which is hooked up to the subwoofer, which in turn has those three stereo jack cables.

I know that the speaker terminals are for unamplified speakers and my 5.1ch speakers have an internal amp, but is there any way I can still use these 5.1 speakers with my Yamaha receiver? Or do I need to buy something else? I wouldn't want the speakers to go to waste since it's a giftSad

I appreciate your help!

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: Help: 3.5mm to Speaker Terminals. Possible?
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Help: 3.5mm to Speaker Terminals. Possible?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
You are mostly likely SOL

But understand, unless you post the exact make/model numbers of all equipment involved <grumble, grumble>, it's hard to be 110% certain there is no workaround for a specific scenario. Please post more complete info to get the best help here.

- Collapse -
Re:...

Yeah I thought so...but here are what I got: Yamaha Receiver HTR-5540 and Creative Inspire Speakers A500 5.1ch. I don't know much about these speakers but I'm thinking they're for PC not for home entertainment.

IF, the main L/R, rear L/R and center speakers don't amplify themselves then could I just cut the RCA jack part and hook up the wires directly to the speaker terminals? If I could do that, since the receiver has an RCA subwoofer out, I could probably make it all work....

- Collapse -
Correct

Those are PC speakers, so you are out of luck unfortunately.

- Collapse -
If you must, you could do it if you are handy enough.

If I were just to guess, you may have a little trouble with only one speaker, the one that house the amplifier. The others should be just speaker only. If you look carefully you might find how to get to the one with the amplifier (of course we can't be much help from here though). Good luck.

CNET Forums

Forum Info