Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

help!!

by lucky499 / May 31, 2008 11:54 PM PDT

hi my name is jordan and im ten ive got a prob with my old computer we installed windows xp on it a few years ago because it was running 98 it was running really slow so cheked it and found that 98 was running underneath xp is there anything i can do about it

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: help!!
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: help!!
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
"98 running underneath XP"
by Kees Bakker / May 31, 2008 11:58 PM PDT
In reply to: help!!

Two remarks:
1. Odl computers that happened to run Windows 98 might be real slow with Windows XP, depending on their specs (processor and RAM). Tell about those.
2. I think you misinterpret your findings about 98 running underneath. Can you tell the facts as you found them and why you interpret them this way?

Kees

Collapse -
PS.
by Kees Bakker / June 1, 2008 12:01 AM PDT

Don't they teach the use of full stops and capitals where you live? That makes posts much easier to understand.

The basics:
- Each sentence ends with either a full stop(.), a question mark (?) or an exclamation mark (!).
- Each sentence starts with a capital.

Ask your teacher for some exercises.

Kees

Collapse -
Sadly no
by Jimmy Greystone / June 1, 2008 1:06 AM PDT
In reply to: PS.

Even when I was in the K-12 range, after I got to about this kid's age, the school just stopped bothering to teach any kind of grammar. So no spelling, nothing on proper punctuation use, nothing like that.

It's sad, but schools today just don't teach these very fundamental things. And when you really think about it... K-12 teachers are some of the most important people out there. We literally entrust them to educate future generations, and teach them what they need to know. Problem is, we pay them next to nothing. And don't even THINK about proposing an increase in the local sales tax to improve the school system. Everyone wants to live in the parts of the country with the lowest crime, the best schools, etc, but no one wants to PAY for these things. I don't really know where it is they think the money comes from to pay these things, and I guess they don't really care so long as it's not out of their pocket.

It's not just spelling either. American schools have major shortfalls in several areas. Our illustrious leaders aren't really prepared to do anything about it either. They rush through that idiotic No Child Left Behind bill which fails to provide any kind of increased funding for schools, and basically forces schools to teach to a test. So, the one thing that has always been one of the greatest assets in America, that sort of free spirit inventor and innovator, is being systematically done away with because if schools don't get some magic number with test scores, they lose funding which makes it even HARDER to educate kids. It's not like the government is prepared to step in and pay to have kids in these areas bussed to another district, or reimburse parents for the cost of attending a private school after the public school is shut down. And what happens when private schools are flooded with all these kids from public schools, and those small class sizes explode?

Where I went to school... Somehow the boys football and basketball teams, and wrestling team, never had to use the same equipment for more than a couple of years. The administration also kicked out the special ed class because they wanted air conditioned offices, and the special ed classrooms were air conditioned while the rest of the school wasn't. Meanwhile, the textbooks for the place were literally falling apart after being used for 10-15 years, when the teachers were allowed to buy new books they often couldn't afford to buy enough for everyone, the school itself was in not so great shape after only about 20 years. Naturally the Gymnasium was kept up wonderfully, along with the little concession area off to the one side, even though it was almost never used. And a lot of the top administration were driving brand new cars, while the teachers all tended to have cars held together with string, duct tape, and a prayer. Most of the teachers worked second jobs, just to make ends meet.

Since I've already gone off on a rant, I may as well at least finish it. So on the assumption that there's other schools like that out there... I'd say the focus needs to be on making sure money allocated to schools isn't being misappropriated. The school I went to had a number of very suspicious things going on, and while I can't prove anything, I would be willing to bet good money that there's some embezzlement going on, or funds meant for things like textbooks, are getting diverted to things like the athletics departments.

In the end... Who really deserves to be making a million dollars a year? A CEO who sits in his/her office, largely oblivious to the day to day operations of the company, or a teacher who is tasked with educating tomorrow's CEOs, doctors, scientists, politicians, etc?

Sorry for the rant... Carry on.

Collapse -
Sorry but more than just money
by Steven Haninger / June 1, 2008 2:54 AM PDT
In reply to: Sadly no

Kids enter school with no respect for any adult...let alone a teacher. Of course they do have a cell phone with a speed dial button to their lawyer in case they're caught misbehaving. Well...maybe not that bad, but almost but what they've learned up to that point...even on "educational" TV is that learning is done through entertainment. The reality is that school teachers aren't the Muppets the kids are used to. I could go on and on but this isn't the place.

Collapse -
hi
by lucky499 / July 31, 2008 8:56 PM PDT

No they do teach us i was in a hurry.

Collapse -
Specs
by lucky499 / July 31, 2008 9:09 PM PDT

Its a Packard Bell,it has 128mb of ram,its got a pentium 3 proccesor its about 400mhz to 600mhz, its 8 years old and thats about all i can say.

Collapse -
I ran Windows 2000 on a P3 600MHz, 256MB
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 31, 2008 10:10 PM PDT
In reply to: Specs

And it booted in 2 minutes after I replaced a slow hard disk (was 4 minutes!)

With XP you'll want the full 512MB but it will run.
Bob

Collapse -
thanks
by lucky499 / August 1, 2008 5:21 AM PDT

Thanks for the advice

Collapse -
To lucky499.
by Kees Bakker / June 1, 2008 3:43 AM PDT
In reply to: help!!

Don't be impressed too much by the above off-topic rants. Just answer my questions from post #2 and we can continue. It would be nice to know if the machine has always been slow with XP or if it is a recent development. Or maybe it came gradually?

Kees

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.