Computer Help forum

General discussion

help :(

by slians / April 2, 2008 8:36 PM PDT

hi just need a little help
i just installed a soundcard cd and then it tells me to restart the pc for the changes to take place so i restarted it and then it just keeps restarting it got up to the point where the xp loads and then just restarts again so i put it into safe mode and (how do i explain this) loaded the pc from a few days ago so it wasnt installed if you get me.... well anyway so i finally fixed it and then reinstalled the cd again and same thing happened but this time i went into the BIOS setup and pressed a few things :S i think i put it into fail safe mode or something...... and now the pc wont even go into the post screen so i cant get into safe mode or anything Sad
plz help, thanks in advance.
O.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: help :(
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: help :(
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Just A Thought... Since You Changed the BIOS ...
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / April 3, 2008 1:48 AM PDT
In reply to: help :(

.. you might be able to reset it to the default settings by removing the CMOS battery for 5 minutes, then replacing it.. Restarting the computer should now be possible, but maybe only Safe Mode again, as long as the BIOS reverted to the default settings.

Are you adding a sound card or just updating the drivers?

As to the sound card drivers, you'll need to provide us with a little more information for us to be much help.. What type of computer? Laptop/Desktop/Brand name/Model number? Which XP? No service pack, SP1, SP2, Home, Pro? Which sound card?

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
thanks
by slians / April 3, 2008 7:57 AM PDT

thanks for that yeah i ended up taking the battery out and yeah got it sorted
but still having problems with the sound card i have the Creative SB X-Fi Xtreme Gamer Fatal1ty Pro, 64MB and an amd motherboard so i put the cd in and install it and then it just has to restart but when i do i ***** up Sad need any more info let me no i just dont get why its not working
another thing i can dl the drivers off the webby but then i dont get the creative volume controls Sad help

Collapse -
(NT) Visit The Creative Site..Find An Older Or Newer Driver..
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / April 4, 2008 2:45 PM PDT
In reply to: thanks
Collapse -
thanks
by slians / April 4, 2008 9:00 PM PDT

yeah i dled the drivers off the webby and just the volume controls from the cd and it worked out fine.... thanks alot for your help with this.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.