Storage forum

General discussion

Help!!!

by sportsstud35 / January 22, 2008 1:34 PM PST

I have a seagate external hard drive that was working just fine, then all of a sudden its not on my computer when pluged in. I check the devices manger and it has a error of 10 - it can't be started, also
The mass storage controller has the yellow ? with the yellow and back "!" with an error of 28. Any ideas on how to get it running again?
Also when i reboot my comp with the hard drive pluged in it keeps cycling the restart, gets to the windows xp screen then restarts, but if the hard drive isn't plugged in i get no problems,
And ideas?
The stuff on the hard drive is important and i need to access it ASAP

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Help!!!
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Help!!!
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
As you've now found. . .
by Coryphaeus / January 22, 2008 8:10 PM PST
In reply to: Help!!!

hard drives are temporary storage only and they can die at the worst moment. Do you have backups on optical disk? If not you can Google data recovery to find a company that might be able to recover your data. In short, the drive is dead.

There is the off chance that the case has died. You might try putting the drive into another case or as a slave in your PC.

Collapse -
Not a word on the PC?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 22, 2008 11:04 PM PST

Did you try another computer?
Do you hear the drive spinning?
Did you try the read USB ports?

It's not lost yet but in your hurry to post you didn't tell all.

Bob

Collapse -
sorry
by sportsstud35 / January 23, 2008 10:29 PM PST
In reply to: Not a word on the PC?

Sorry,
The drive works fine on other computers, and I'm having trouble on all the ports, my usb mouse works fine in the one its in - scared to try to move it.
It gives me the error 10, but on the uub controller I have a error 28- thats whats causing the problem I'm guessing.
Also another thing I noticed is on my computer there are no network connections, even tho I can see my printer on the network and have internet. But no way to accsess it

Collapse -
Still no word on the PC.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 24, 2008 5:15 AM PST
In reply to: sorry

Try our forum note as to what to post about it:

Note: If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

Collapse -
Sorry
by sportsstud35 / January 24, 2008 8:27 AM PST

Okay sorry
I have a gateway laptop, running windows xp sp 2. has the 4 usb 2.0 ports, not sure what else there is, Under device manger

Other devices has a yellow "?"
then mass storage controller that is under that has a yello"?" with a yellow and black "!"

Then at the bottom there is an unknown tab with:
1294 Net Adapter
Broadcom 802.11g network adapter - with a yellow "!"
blaodcom 802.11g adapter = packet scheduler miniport
direct parallel
MArvel Yukon 88e8036 pci -e fast ethernet controller
Marvel Yukon 99e9036 pic-e fast ethernet controller- packet scheduler miniport

WAN Miniport(IP)
Wan Miniport (IP)- scheduler miniport
WAN Miniport (L2TP)
Wan Miniport (PPOE)
Wan miniport (PPTP)

Also while i am connected to the internet, nothing shows up in my network connections....

Collapse -
Ok, here's a small BIOS setting change.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 24, 2008 10:57 AM PST
In reply to: Sorry

You can change it back if you need to later.

-> Look for "USB LEGACY SUPPORT" and turn that off.

Bob

Collapse -
hmm
by sportsstud35 / January 24, 2008 1:29 PM PST

It didn't do anything, so i changed it back, my external is recognized now, but I still have the yellow "?"'s and "!"'s and also nothing in my networks folder....

Collapse -
So one problem down?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 24, 2008 10:36 PM PST
In reply to: hmm

As to the network issues, it sounds as if drivers or maybe some firewall like Norton, Mcafee took a dive. But let's start a new discussion on that.

Bob

Collapse -
cool
by sportsstud35 / January 25, 2008 8:40 AM PST
In reply to: So one problem down?

Cool, on the new decsussion, but any idea what the "?"'s mean?

Collapse -
(NT) Usually means disabled device or missing driver.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 25, 2008 11:16 AM PST
In reply to: cool
Collapse -
back to square one
by sportsstud35 / February 18, 2008 2:37 PM PST

So today I went to turn on my laptop, and it keeps restarting after the gateway screen, so i unplug my external HD, and it boots up fine.
I plug in my external, and doesn't work, ahve the yellow "?" for it. any idea's?

Collapse -
That's caused by a few things.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 18, 2008 9:53 PM PST
In reply to: back to square one

1. The bios has usb set to be bootable.
2. There is a corrupt file on the root directory of the usb drive.

You may solve this soon.

Collapse -
would that fix..
by sportsstud35 / February 19, 2008 1:15 AM PST

If i go in and change that - how would i?
Woud that fix the fact that i cant find the harddrive on my computer when its plugged in?

Collapse -
From the top.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 19, 2008 1:29 AM PST

Reply to the top when we hit the depth limit.

"If i go in and change that - how would i?
Woud that fix the fact that i cant find the harddrive on my computer when its plugged in?"

First, you would read your Gateway manual on the BIOS changes.

Next, the drive appears to be still dead or corrupt. At some point you had it working so that was the time to get your files out and to a safe place.

Scanning your discussion it looks like some motherboard or other driver has gone missing. Who installed this OS?

Bob

Collapse -
Yes
by sportsstud35 / February 19, 2008 3:53 AM PST
In reply to: From the top.

All of the stuff on the External HD Is backed up to where I can get it - Just easier on the external.
As far as installing the OS, That was done by Gateway, Haven't touched it sense i got it.

As for the BIOS changes, I can't seem to find where to go in the BIOS, as I don't have the manual anymore - been about a year now and 2 moves.

Collapse -
You have contridicted yourself.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 19, 2008 4:10 AM PST
In reply to: Yes

Above you wrote an answer to "Look for "USB LEGACY SUPPORT" and turn that off." that told me you had done that. Now you claim you don't know how to get into the BIOS...

Something's fishy.

The manual is up at gateway.com

Bob

Collapse -
Sorry Miss understood
by sportsstud35 / February 19, 2008 5:45 AM PST

Sorry I guess I didn't write it correctly, I did turn off USB LEGAcy SUPPORT, But now in the BIOS Menu, I can't find where to turn off the Boot from USB. I can't find the option to turn that off anywhere in the BIOS.
Sorry for the mis wording, I will look at the Manual right now, and try to follow it when i get off work in an hour

Collapse -
I understand. But be aware I can't read your manual.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 19, 2008 8:33 AM PST
In reply to: Sorry Miss understood

I went through this discussion twice and couldn't spot the model number of this gateway laptop. It's very important to give such details in your first entry so that others can fetch the details. As it is I can't check for a manual or point to a page number, suggest a driver, etc.

Collapse -
I feel dumb
by sportsstud35 / February 19, 2008 9:46 AM PST

But really appericate your help,
I have the Gateway MX6440 laptop.

Collapse -
Don't feel that way.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 19, 2008 9:49 AM PST
In reply to: I feel dumb
Collapse -
Gateway's docs are not helping here.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 19, 2008 11:16 AM PST

"If available, change the BIOS settings for the hard drive sequence, making sure the USB device is at the top of the list above all other hard drives. Not all BIOS Setup Utilities have this option."

I can't find the exact screens for your BIOS so I will not be able to guide you on how to disable the USB boot process.

Bob

Collapse -
no luck
by sportsstud35 / February 19, 2008 12:06 PM PST

Bob,
I tired to find it but I can't find it in my BIOS, I don't think mine has that option,
Also It kept turning off on me in the BIOS, the first time I had about 5 min worth of time to look, then it shut off, i figured i hit something, then Had maybe a mintune, then down to lucky to get 15 seconds before the machine turns its self off, but when I boot to windows its fine...
well except the missing wireless and External

Collapse -
reinstall
by sportsstud35 / February 20, 2008 9:53 AM PST
In reply to: no luck

Would it be worth it to reinstall windows? would that fix my problems? As I don't want to do it but its starting to look like i have no other choice

Collapse -
What if we don't use this external drive?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 20, 2008 10:53 AM PST
In reply to: reinstall

I've reread this missive and are we still talking about the external hard disk issue?

Collapse -
yes kind of
by sportsstud35 / February 20, 2008 1:03 PM PST

In the long of it yes, I still can't get the external HD to work on this computer, I also have the problems with my wireless card in the computer. I have thought that reinstalling windows would set it all to the way it was before any of this started as it would get back to factory settings, I would just need to spend a day or two backing up all my files like music and school work onto DVD's = something I don't really have the time or engery to do. and that would be a last resort If you can think of anything else, in the other thread you asked If i have norton = i do not for anti virus I use McAfee and AVG with Ad=aware for anti spyware.

I do appericate all your help and willingness to try to help find out what is causeing this

Collapse -
Oh and Also
by sportsstud35 / February 20, 2008 1:06 PM PST
In reply to: yes kind of

I work at OfficeMax, and was able to get another External - got a Maxtor one touch and have the same problem with it, So its not the drive as the drive works on the other 3 computers I have access to in my house

Collapse -
This points to the motherboard chipset driver
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 20, 2008 9:46 PM PST
In reply to: Oh and Also

Have you installed the latest version of that?

Collapse -
I will
by sportsstud35 / February 21, 2008 12:23 AM PST

I haven't touched anything that says motherboard, as I know thats a big deal to the computer and not knowing a whole lot didn't want to mess up something even worse, I will download the driver tonight and see what it does.
Can a driver just stop working like that?

Collapse -
Yes.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 21, 2008 1:02 AM PST
In reply to: I will

Let me fish (re-read) your post and I'll see if I can give up a link on the driver I'd install.

Bob

Collapse -
See the download marked "Motherboard Downloads"
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 21, 2008 1:45 AM PST

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!