Computer Help forum

General discussion

by freakyjord2025 / May 21, 2006 5:28 AM PDT

Some reason, my fuckn HP Pavilion ze5470us notebook wont startup and i have to restore it but i need to get the files before i completely lose them by recovery. I want to transfer them to my desktop but dont know how? How can i transfer files from my cant startup notebook to another computer?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: help!!!
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: help!!!
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Many ways.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 21, 2006 5:43 AM PDT
In reply to: help!!!
Collapse -
How Do You Plan To 'Restore' It?
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / May 21, 2006 5:49 AM PDT
In reply to: help!!!

You mentioned that it won't "start up". Does it not start at all" (No POST info.) Does the power light come on? Do fans and hard drive sound like they're running? Or does it simply not start in Windows?

Have you tried rebooting into Safe Mode and will it do that? If you can restart into Safe Mode, then simply make copies of all your files while in Safe Mode.

If it won't start at all, then your best bet is to remove the hard drive and place it in an external HD enclosure and plug it into a working computer.. The files should be able to be retrieved assuming the hard drive works at all.

Hope this helps and let us know more.

Collapse -
re: How Do You Plan To 'Restore' It?
by freakyjord2025 / May 21, 2006 6:01 AM PDT

i appologize griff for not including details, just so pissed at HP. anyways, it will turn on, but when the windows xp load screen starts, it stays there a long time and when it finally changes to black screen before the welcome screen, it gives an error that hard drive stopped or something, im trying to repair xp with my OSD but its not working. rite now im doing a chkdsk but dont know how much that will help. I do want to use a usb hd enclosure kit to connect my win98 desktop and retrieve my files, but i cant buy one rite now so im trying to fix the notebook w/o restoring yet. any ideas on how to get it to startup so i can burn data discs and then restore?

Collapse -
Sounds dangerous to me.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 21, 2006 6:05 AM PDT

Doing ANYTHING other than saving the files usually results in file loss. The offer to make restore CDs appears to have been passed up as well but maybe a blessing here since one false move and the files get clobbered.

Be sure of your goals and ask your friends here about the safety of your actions.

Collapse -
re:Sounds dangerous to me.
by freakyjord2025 / May 21, 2006 6:42 AM PDT

ok, i tried letting xp load but it has an error saying session 3 boot or something. I want to get my files from my notebook's hard drive to my win98 desktop, so i want to get a usb hard drive enclosure kit. can you point me out to a good, pretty cheap hd enclosure kit that will allow me to just plug in my notebook to my desktop and use my desktop to retrieve files from the notebook>?

Collapse -
While cheap is nice...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 21, 2006 7:45 AM PDT

I'd budget at most 50 bucks and shop around. I don't know what country you're in but I've used many such housings from and

A bugaboo will crop up in that the hard disk will likely be a NTFS volume and Windows 98 will have little to do with that even with NTFSDOS. We do have a workaround in KNOPPIX since it can read NTFS just fine and write to FAT32 jimdandy.

Collapse -
re: While cheap is nice...
by freakyjord2025 / May 21, 2006 9:52 AM PDT
In reply to: While cheap is nice...

50 bux is perfect for me. i reside in MD, USA and I was looking at for one but not sure if they are plug and play so i can just connect my laptop to the desktop. I'll probably use my lil bro's xp media center pc to transfer. im going to bestbuy tomorrow, so would you know a good brand by chance that is plug and play so the desktop can just open the laptop hard drive through "my computer"?

Collapse -
Remember that it's likely NTFS so no plugplay for you.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 21, 2006 10:44 PM PDT

1. Windows 98 is not plug and play so you would add a driver.
2. Said driver will NOT work out since it's nearly certain the drive is in NTFS which windows 98 will not have anything to do with.
3. KNOPPIX however could boot, automatically add said drive to it's explorer like tool and you could copy the files out. I would use KNOPPIX to get the job done.
4. Best Buy would not be where I'd get said housing. I'd order from or and save a 20.

Collapse -
Is the Windows 98 box a desktop?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 21, 2006 10:51 PM PDT gets you the under 10 buck solution (I have one of these).

I install this and again, boot KNOPPIX to copy the files out.

Setup is only a little tricky since you must use CABLE SELECT, 80 conductor IDE cables and know about such setups. Thank goodness you can read up on about that.

Popular Forums
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
Laptops 21,181 discussions
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
Phones 17,137 discussions
Security 31,287 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?