Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Help!

My connection signal strength keeps going "low" when its usually high. I have disabled the router access thing in administrative tools. But this hasnt solved my problem. I keep getting disconnected. Any ideas would be appreciated.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Help!
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Help!
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
A few things:

In reply to: Help!

1) Any 2.4ghz devices conflicting with the router?
2) Move the router closer to the wireless device
3) Latest firmware of the router?

Collapse -
RE:

In reply to: A few things:

I have had no problems at all before now.. Just recently this problem has started occuring. Are you saying that some kind of device might be interferring?

Collapse -
What Michael...

In reply to: RE:

was saying is that any wireless device (i.e. phones) that operate on the 2.4ghz frequency can interfere with your wireless device. Changing locations of the devices can either strengthen or weaken the signal. Just walking between the remote and the router can interupt the signal. If you don't have any of these issues it is recommended you get a signal enhancer and place it between the devices. It should work then.

and life goes on...

Jack

Collapse -
hmm

In reply to: What Michael...

but how come this problem has only just started happening? its been fine up until now.

Collapse -
Well you really haven't answered the questions....

In reply to: hmm

concerning firmware, distances or devices.

If the problem has recently started, you can ask yourself what has changed since it last worked?

Hardware or software additions/subtractions (not to mention spyware/virus') can cause changes that are reflected in devices no longer working properly.

A test, is to use another PC to connect and see if the problem still exists.

Collapse -
WHAT has CHANGED?

In reply to: hmm

What is different now than when you weren't having the problems?

It can be as simple as in the past a specific door was always open but now it is closed.

Look around and see what is different.

Collapse -
Can

In reply to: WHAT has CHANGED?

your router also accept hard-wired connections, if so, it may be a good idea to hard-wire ALL your peripherals to the computer and the router. Another way is to put new wallpaper up and use a lining of ordinary metal foil (kitchen foil) to block outside signals.

Collapse -
Can

In reply to: Can

This is a problem, usually found when a neighour moves in with a lot of Wi-Fi equipment. The cheapest way around it is to electrically insulate the room(s) you're using.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

Enter to win* a free holiday tech gift!

CNET's giving five lucky winners the gift of their choice valued up to $250!