Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

HELP

So, my computer had a critical error in the windows operating system, do not know exactly what it was, and it really doesn't matter anymore, but i had to do a fresh install of windows...

well now when i start up that computer it looks as though it is in safe mode, but it isn't. It wont let me change resolution settings, and wont let me install the drivers i have from the dell cd... Ohh yeah and i can't access the internet (on a friends computer) any help would be great because i have no clue what else to do with this...

i have done a re-instillation of windows before and have never encountered this problem... help me

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: HELP
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: HELP
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
this should help

In reply to: HELP

The Reason:

You need to install video drivers for your video card in order to change your resolution settings.

The Solution:

Sense you can't access the internet on your computer download some video drivers for your video card on your friends computer make sure you check to see if it's the right video card if it's ati or nvidia go here http://www.ati.com/ or http://www.nvidia.com/ download the right drivers and put it onto a cd if he has a cd burner then reinstall the drivers onto yours.

Internet Solution:

Try going to control panel then click on internet options click on the connections tab under it click on setup then follow the directions of what you have.

if it doesn't work then damn

Collapse -
Many times the resource CD from

In reply to: HELP

Dell will contain drivers for several video cards so it can be used by many different configurations. You need to know which card is installed on your computer, select those drivers/software from the CD and install. Check the device manager and find out which card/onboard video you have. That will be also the case for the other hardware installed. If your modem or audio aren't working properly, you will need to install the software or drivers for them as well. You can also find what drivers are needed and download them by going to Dell.com.

Your ISP should be able to help you get your internet service restarted. Some companies supply software that will set it up for you. Other companies require a manual setup. Call and find out what needs to be done.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

Enter to win* a free holiday tech gift!

CNET's giving five lucky winners the gift of their choice valued up to $250!