Computer Newbies forum

General discussion

Hello Grif and Others!-Question

by Sue Coleman / October 9, 2005 4:17 AM PDT

Grif
I finally got another pc but not a new one. I have installed AVG and so far I "think" I'm ok ...holding my breath ..lol
I want to install Yahoo Messenger but I'm too afraid to try 'cause I don't want to mess this PC up...just yet !!!!
My question concerns something I know NOTHING about and I hope you might be able to help me.
I have a photo stored in my documents that I want to "cut in half"...in other words take off the body and leave the head.....don't LAFF now ...lol
and I have no clue if this can even be done. Can you help me? If so, you know you'll have to go step by step....slowly with me !!!!
I'd like to leave the picture from the waist up.
I'd appreciate it so much if you will take the time to explain where I go, and what I do, to accomplish this task.
Thanks
Sue

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Hello Grif and Others!-Question
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Hello Grif and Others!-Question
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
MSPaint can do that
by TONI H / October 9, 2005 4:24 AM PDT

by using the CUT option as you draw a dotted outline around the part you want to get rid of or save instead. It will leave your original intact and you can save the end result with a new file name.

The help file for MSPaint can give you some pretty good, simple instructions on how to use the various 'buttons' to do what you want.

TONI

Collapse -
ue, Personally, I Prefer The FREE Irfanview Program
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / October 9, 2005 4:45 AM PDT

But there are a number of programs that will do the job.Here is a link to the Irfanview website.

http://www.irfanview.com/

Irfanview is a picture viewer that allows you to easily resize or crop pictures such as the one you're using. After Irfanview is installed, open the program, choose "File", then "Open" and browse to your picture and open the picture. After the picture is open, then simply place your mouse cursor on a corner of the area you want to crop, hold down the left mouse button, and "trace" the area that you want to crop. You'll see an outline of your crop created. When you've outline the area to crop, click on "Edit", choose "Crop Selection, then click on "File", choose "Save As", then save the new picture to a folder of your choice.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
UNDO feature for all graphics programs
by TONI H / October 9, 2005 5:00 AM PDT

I forgot to mention that this is a real timesaver for mistakes to start over with....it's normally in the Edit button of the graphics program toolbar.

Makes it easy to experiment with various other features of graphics programs while you are in the 'learning curve' of ones you aren't familiar with.

TONI

Collapse -
RE
by stewart6 / October 10, 2005 1:42 AM PDT

The undo feature Toni mentions is indeed a lifesaver but on some programs you have to undo immediately after the operation you want to cancel. If you make another entry before you hit the UNDO button you're out of luck. But then you knew that:-) Stewart

Collapse -
Some programs I've used
by TONI H / October 10, 2005 1:57 AM PDT
In reply to: RE

have the UNDO feature actually keep going backwards each time you click it to undo previous steps, too. It was a pleasant surprise to find that there are some programmers out there who realize that we aren't always quick enough to undo only the last step and build more undos into that option now.

TONI

Collapse -
Hi Toni
by stewart6 / October 10, 2005 3:10 AM PDT

As you say the newer editing programs do have succesive undo roll back that is a giant leap for mankind but the ancient program I use sometimes doesn't so if someone is not familiar with PP programs I like to warn them about the possibility. Regards Stewart

Collapse -
It doesn't harm at all ...
by Kees Bakker / October 10, 2005 7:03 AM PDT
In reply to: Hi Toni

to do an occasional File>Save, or File>Save As before doing a critical change. All you've got to do is a little bit of disk clean up afterwards, maybe.

But Sue doesn't even have a program to DO what she wants, I think. So all this talk about UNDO is somewhat premature.

Kees

Collapse -
picasa
by Kees Bakker / October 9, 2005 7:00 AM PDT

Sue,

I wonder if MS Paint will save the 'half' picture in jpg-format again (might very well be in XP, but you might lose resolution) and I doubt if irfanview will let you take a part of a photo.
If not, try free picasa from www.picasa.google.com
It can do much more than you want, but it surely can take a part of a picture.

Hope this helps.

Kees

Collapse -
MSPaint
by Sue Coleman / October 9, 2005 8:03 PM PDT

well hell fire !!! I can't get MSPaint to even LOCATE the durn picture....it's in my documents but it says it's NOT there?
Maybeeeee I just need to take another Pic.....LOL

Kees......I can't use Picasa...my system is not compatable....I'm in W98....but thanks for trying !

Grif......I'm gonna try the site you sent next.
My fear is over loading this small hard drive with too much stuff and causing it to CRASH !!! If I can "fix" this picture ....I'll go back and Un-install the program.
I'm in such FEAR of tearing up this machine now cause it's just not strong enough........
Dear Santaaaaaaaaaaaaa Don't forget meeeeeeeee lol
Thanks Guys
Sue

Collapse -
Re: MSPaint
by Kees Bakker / October 9, 2005 9:35 PM PDT
In reply to: MSPaint

Sue,

MSPaint in Windows 98 won't recognize anything else than bitmaps, not jpg's. That's a later addition to the program (in Windows XP). But you can use irfanview (very nice program, very harmless) to convert (Save as) the jpg (or whatever it is) to a bmp. Just try. But try using irfanview itself for selecting a part of the file first.

Any picture that has been through MSPaint gets the resolution of the screen (i.e. 800 x 600 pixels). In practice, you can only use it on the screen or on your website (if you have one), not to print on paper.

Let's hope Santaclaus finds $500 for an new XP machine for you. He might be able to find secondhand one (say: 4 years old) for $100 if you're willing to keep using your current monitor.

Kees

Collapse -
Really Simple
by Paul Roantree / October 10, 2005 8:06 AM PDT
In reply to: MSPaint

MWSnap. Takes a snapshot of any graphics/photos, any size and choice of resolution. Just like an instant camera with zoom.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.