Web Hosting, Design, & Coding forum

General discussion

Hello everyone,

by ABDELMOUNIM / May 22, 2014 7:40 AM PDT

In your opinion, what is the best Domain (.COM) (.ORG) OR (.NET)?

Thanks

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Hello everyone,
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Hello everyone,
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Wouldn't that be what you want to send as a message?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 22, 2014 7:49 AM PDT
In reply to: Hello everyone,

I'll wait to hear what message you are trying to send but each tends to send us a subliminal message.

Collapse -
Depends on Purpose
by vempatisripada / May 22, 2014 9:20 PM PDT

The extension depends on the purpose of your website, it it is for business then .com is preferred or if yours is a local company related to one country then that country extension is preferred, like this the extension depends on the web purpose and all are having equal importance.

Collapse -
I'd say it's between
by Sovereign Forum moderator / May 27, 2014 6:01 AM PDT

.com and .org, depending on use. If it's a commercial site, then .com would be appropriate, but if you are an organization, like a non-profit, then .org would be suitable.

.net is for networks, but often used as an alternative if .com is already taken.

At the end of the day, people will go where you tell them and more often than not, people will search for your business via a search engine, meaning the URL becomes less relevant.

~Sovereign

Collapse -
Which is the best
by shreyanshthegreat / June 13, 2014 2:08 AM PDT
There's a common belief that the graphic to the left is the hierarchy of domain extensions for SEO. I'm not sure that is still true and it is possible to get favorable rankings for any domain extension.
But yet it seems that most of us want the domain extension .com. It's an intuitive desire and that's probably because most the sites we visit and know about are .com sites. When I'm searching for a domain name for a website I want to create, I always go after the .com name first for two reason. The first reason is that when I verbally tell somebody my domain name most people will assume that it is a .com domain. If my URL is SEO.net, instead of SEO.com, people who know me are likely to remember SEO, but they may forget the site is a .net and automatically enter SEO.com and not reach my site. And if somebody else has SEO.com they are going to get traffic that was intended for me.
Because the .com is so popular it has created an entire business of speculators buying up popular domain names and then attempting to sell those domain names to entrepreneurs who greatly desire a specific name. Often the domain name you want isn't available, but when you enter the URL into your browser you see that there isn't a website or the site is "parked" displaying a page full of ads.
Fortunately Google has started to do something new. If somebody searches SEO.com and if a speculator has bought the domain name just to resell it, and somebody else has SEO.net Google will produce a page that says essentially that SEO.net doesn't exist, do you mean SEO.net, so the person who couldn't buy the .com name and had to settle for for .net still has a fair chance at getting traffic intended for them, that is until somebody actually buys and develops the .com name.
CoolWinkBlushGrinHappyLaughSilly
Collapse -
Hii
by joomlaites / June 25, 2014 12:11 AM PDT

According to me the best domain is (.com) , but it also depends that what is the purpose of your website.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?