Computer Newbies forum

Resolved Question

Hello again

by itsdigger / September 21, 2012 4:51 AM PDT
itsdigger has chosen the best answer to their question. View answer
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Hello again
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Hello again
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Best Answer chosen by itsdigger

Collapse -
Is this your PC?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 21, 2012 5:22 AM PDT
In reply to: Hello again
http://www.dell.com/us/dfh/p/inspiron-530s/pd

Video cards can be any number of bits wide in the GPU so we don't have to discuss that. I see the model at link has a 250 Watt PSU so the ATI 5450 1GB cards are the usual best we can do unless we go deep to replace case and power supply.

Bob
Collapse -
Yes sir
by itsdigger / September 21, 2012 5:26 AM PDT
In reply to: Is this your PC?

that is the computer. I'll purchase that card and thank you for your time.........Digger

Collapse -
Let us know how it turns out.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 21, 2012 5:35 AM PDT
In reply to: Yes sir

I think the model I linked before has both low profile and normal brackets so double check that.

Keep in mind these 5450's are as good as I see when I have limited power and space in the machines. They really do work far better than most onboard graphics and usually let the owner "get by" until they decide to go get some gamer machine.
Bob

Collapse -
I'll let you know
by itsdigger / September 21, 2012 5:44 AM PDT

how it turns out. You basically know the history of this machine, it was given to me for free, I cleaned it up as per your instructions , reloaded the OS and added Ram, now I'm taking it one step further so my niece can play some simple games, this is as far as it's going though, Thank you for your time Bob......Digger

Collapse -
Hi Bob
by itsdigger / October 3, 2012 10:44 AM PDT

I installed this GPU today, Wow what a difference it made. Niece came by and played her game and loved it. Colors are much brighter and there's no choppiness to it at all. All I had to do to install it was change the bracket to the low profile, there were only mounts for two of the three connections so I had to make a mount in one the spare slots for the crt connector. It's a thing of beauty. Everything went smoothly , I booted up and Windows downloaded the drivers ! I didn't even have to do that , It worked right away. I ran the install disc anyway just because I have it . Any way I wanted to thank you again for another job well done , You Get An ATTA Boy Today !! ......... I'll be bothering you again soon I'm sure........Digger

Collapse -
Now you know.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 3, 2012 11:46 AM PDT
In reply to: Hi Bob

Now you know why moderators and I note that model card. It fits the bill for specific machines. That is, I'll repeat it.

Low power since some don't want to swap the power supply, both normal and low profile brackets so I don't have to guess if it fits. The full One GigaByte of dedicated video ram and about 30 bucks.

It's a fine last hurrah for many machines.
Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?