Attention: The forums will be placed on read only mode this Saturday (Oct. 20, 2018)

During this outage (6:30 AM to 8 PM PDT) the forums will be placed on read only mode. We apologize for this inconvenience. Click here to read details

Laptops forum

General discussion

Hell me choose a laptop.

by ComputerLover96 / January 8, 2011 7:40 AM PST

I will use lots of Photoshop and Illustrator (maybe other graphics programs too, such as Corel draw), and I'd like to be able to play a game every here and there. I'd like suggestions, but here is what I was thinking:

HP Pavilion dv7 4060em
HP Pavilion dv7 4100em (better processor than the upper guy IMO)

and then I found this refurbished laptop on bestbuy.com

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/HP+-+Factory-Refurbished+Envy+Laptop+/+Intel%26%23174;+Core%26%23153;+i7+processor+/+15.6%22+Display+/+6GB+Memory+/+500GB+Hard+Drive+-+Silver/Black/1485521.p?id=1218262491771&skuId=1485521

It's got a better graphics card than the other 2, but only 1,6 I repeat, 1,6GHz processor speed (?!).

Which one from the 3 is best. Is there any other laptop you would suggest me (for less than 1000$)

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Hell me choose a laptop.
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Hell me choose a laptop.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
The model with the core i3
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 8, 2011 7:47 AM PST

Is not a bad choice. My wife has the hp dv7 core i7m quad core and you must be ready for the steady stream of hot air and short 2 year life spans for that model.
Bob

Collapse -
by ComputerLover96 / January 8, 2011 6:58 PM PST

Thanks R.Proffitt. I hear lots of people complaining about HP's short life span, but I've got two HP's and they are both working just fine...

I'd like to hear some more advice please.

Collapse -
4280us
by ComputerLover96 / January 8, 2011 8:17 PM PST
In reply to: Reply
Collapse -
Dead link
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 9, 2011 1:30 AM PST
In reply to: 4280us

But the i5 and switchable graphics really make the difference in heat and may extend the life a few years.

That 17 inch display is great on a desktop but if you carry it daily I'd reconsider the 15.x to 16.0 inch size machine.

As to naming schemes your guess is as good as mine. Sometimes it's for "US" and then you see them break that convention.
Bob

Collapse -
shipping
by ComputerLover96 / January 9, 2011 4:02 AM PST
In reply to: Dead link

I just figured that bestbuy doesn't ship to Europe, and neither does Amazon.... does anyone know if there is a online store that ships to Europe?

Collapse -
Where are you?
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / January 9, 2011 4:05 AM PST
In reply to: shipping

If in the UK there is http://www.amazon.co.uk

I bet most other European countries have their own Amazon web sites.

Mark

Collapse -
Re: online store.
by Kees_B Forum moderator / January 9, 2011 4:29 AM PST
In reply to: Where are you?

Hi Mark,

In The Netherlands we do have amazon.nl, but it redirects to the co.uk site. But we have numerous chains of computershops (like dixons or dynabyte or mycom or paradigit) that also have real shops in main street where you can get advice from real sales persons and see and touch the laptop you want to buy. And even smaller independent shops (both webshops and real shops).

I bought my new W7 desktop in such a local shop: I ordered it at 12:00, they assembled it immediately (the special thing was a 64 GB SSD disk as c:-drive) and I had it at home at 17:00 the same day, including a 2 year warranty. That's very good, isn't it. If I needed a laptop I'd certainly consider buying it with them.
No issues until now. I'm busy copying files, installing programs and setting all settings as I want them. Not ready yet.

Kees

Collapse -
Excellent
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / January 9, 2011 7:41 PM PST
In reply to: Re: online store.

You've moved to Win 7 at last. How are you finding it, with it's Libraries and Junction Points?

Not so sure about the SSD though. I reckon they will be mainstream and replace disk storage eventually, but still feel they are 'experimental' at the moment. My own Vista PC rig, an Alienware, has gone back for the 2nd time for repairs in less than 2 years. The SSDs (two, 128GB each, in Raid 0 setup), failed again. When I get it back I am going to have to learn how to disconnect the SSDs and connect up the two remaining hdds to SATA ports 0 & 1, so the BIOS will recognise them as bootable disks. I just don't trust the existing setup any more. That will be hard work for me.

But I suspect I went too far with SSD in RAID, so with luck your SSD will be fine.

Mark

Collapse -
The thrid one isn't at the link anymore
by orlbuckeye / March 1, 2011 9:14 PM PST

because it was a refurb and probably sold. With the i series processors you don't need to go by the 1.6 GHZ because if it has turbo boost it will automatically overclock. Typically the i series processors that are listed as under 2.0 are the ones that have turbo boost so the key to look at in those models is the max GHZ. The DV7 4100em has a i3 @ 2.4 ghz it doesn't have turbo boost so it doesn't overclock. That means you get consistent processing speeds. The i3 is actually a nice processor.

I have the previous generation quad core DV7-2180US. It's 3 years old and hasn't needed a repair after 3 years. I did calll support once because i was getting a loud fan noise and they told me to restore to default bios and it went away. I recently updated the bios and the fan noise isn't to bad. I would have prefererred 1080P resolution but i do get 720p. I'm able to connect my HDTV using a HDMI cable and get a full screen projection in Hi Def.

Collapse -
how can i buy
by adilali99 / March 3, 2011 4:32 PM PST

can anyone guide me that how can i buy the Apple`s Laptop

Collapse -
Re: how to buy an Apple laptop
by Kees_B Forum moderator / March 3, 2011 5:17 PM PST
In reply to: how can i buy

Four ways:
1. Your local Apple store. www.apple.com/retail/locator/ finds them in the USA.
2. Another local shop that sells Apple products. The yellow pages might find them.
3. The Apple store online: store.apple.com/us is the US one.
4. Any other online store that sells Apples where you live.

Kees

Collapse -
Choosing a laptop
by BrotherTN360 / March 8, 2011 3:44 PM PST

Definitely, you have to be careful in making a decision when oit comes to the best laptop deals. Look for the features that you need and be particular about its compatibility with equipments like your printer or scanner and that should guide you right in making the best choice.

Collapse -
Choosing a laptop
by BrotherTN360 / March 8, 2011 3:47 PM PST

Look for the features and its interface to maximize its use.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!