General discussion

Helen Thomas' plea to save an anti-gang program that works.

Don't chop what works in dealing with gang violence.
(Chronicle login: semods4@yahoo.com; pw = speakeasy)

>>There are a lot of things that Laura Bush can do to spotlight the growing problem of youth gangs. For starters, the first lady should look at some programs that her husband's administration wants to cut from the federal budget next year.

For example, the president wants to slice money for an eminently worthy program that starts preparing underprivileged middle school students ? sixth and seventh graders ? and works with them all the way through high school to bring them up to college-entry level.

The program ? called GEAR UP ? is now in its sixth year. It serves 1.4 million children from low-income families. Its current federal budget is $308 million ? a drop in the bucket compared to the spending for new weapons and the war in Iraq. The private sector, foundations, businesses, universities and communities match that sum.

Administration officials contend they are only putting programs on the chopping block that are ineffective. But GEAR UP is popular ? and it works.<<

-- Dave K, Speakeasy Moderator
click here to email semods4@yahoo.com

The opinions expressed above are my own,
and do not necessarily reflect those of CNET!

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: Helen Thomas' plea to save an anti-gang program that works.
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Helen Thomas' plea to save an anti-gang program that works.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
anti-gang program that works

With a White House press operation that won't let Helen Thomas ask any questions, do you expect that this administration will bother even hearing anything she has to say?

- Collapse -
Sounds like a pantload.

EVERYONE wants their program to be kept. If it's working so well, why is the problem getting worse? We have pumped over three trillion dollars of taxpayer money into programs and their are more poor and gangs now than at the start.

- Collapse -
Increasing inner-city unemployment, perhaps?

Unfortunately you can't save everyone, Jerry -- but this program has a much better success rate than "DARE," frinstance.

-- Dave K, Speakeasy Moderator

The opinions expressed above are my own,
and do not necessarily reflect those of CNET!

- Collapse -
Just to be different...

Just to be different, let's take a look at the actual program and try to get an idea of what it does instead of taking somebody's simple good/bad analysis of it. Link to the government site for it: http://www.ed.gov/programs/gearup/performance.html
It's all well and good, but I can't see increasing SAT scores or increasing math scores in school an being a major factor in reducing gang violence.

- Collapse -
Perhaps

The position, confidence, and sense of belonging that they are now getting because of improved school performance is replacing those feelings that came from being in a gang.

You want to cut a program that increases test scores?

Dan

- Collapse -
Anecdotes to the affirmative:

Middle school [7th/8th grade here] is considered the tough one because high school has only those who washed out of 'delinquent training;' not in jail or dead. Anyway, when I get a disrupter I try to get time to sit next to him/her- their level- and give specific help. Amazing how often they respond and appreciate. Zits are nothing compared to being considered "stupid" by peers.

"Time" is the key: Our small town- and probably most bigger ones- can't afford teacher/student ratios that would work. Why do I get to do it? Because no one expects much of a sub, and I don't have a career to risk. Happy The regulars have to stay right with the program, which locks out the Bart Simpsons. Give me (or anyone) J-Lo's agent's. cut for her next gig and we could transform this place.
Regards, Doug in New Mexcio

- Collapse -
I didn't see the increasing SAT scores ...

... did I miss something at the link?

Micronesia?? LOL.

Utah?? There is a gang violence problem in UTAH??

Taking the SAT's is not a huge achievement. Anyone can TAKE them. If the national average is 1000, then 44% scoring over the national average is not all that impressive. That means that 56% scored under 500 on one or the other SAT.

Under Success stories:

The number of discipline referrals in ONE of the School Board of Alachua County's GEAR UP schools has decreased 12% since GEAR UP has been in operation (from 1999 to 2001).

Begs the question, if gear up was working in ALL the Alachua County schools why not better success stories.

Such things as increasing enrollment in college tuition assistance programs, developing a one credit Zoology course, etc. seem totally detached from gang violence!

Evie Happy

- Collapse -
Helen's been a little upset...

Helen's been upset with the White House ever since it decided that the President will say when a press conference will end and not Helen Thomas. When she was "dethroned" as queen of the press conferences she pitched a "purple kitten" loudly and publically, and eventually found herself ignored. She found that a lot of the press corps didn't like her and prefered it when she wasn't in the front row being "in charge".

- Collapse -
Attack the messenger.

Done.

Next?

Dan

- Collapse -
Gotta wonder...

Gotta wonder, just how many members of the press corps have you known? How many years did you work in network TV and/or dealing with the Washington Press Corps?

- Collapse -
Do you mean your attack on Ms. Thomas

is based on me not knowing her or other members of the White House press corps?

Dan

- Collapse -
It means...

It means that my opinion is based on things that I saw. Your attempt to discredit my opinion or observations are based on your personal politics.

- Collapse -
It means

your attack is not based on the content of the article but on your personal differences with the author. That was just my point.

My discrediting of your attack was based on my observation of your behavior.

Dan

- Collapse -
No, Dan, it means...

No Dan, it means that you don't know what went on. Helen did her end the press conference thing, but the President wanted to talk some more. When he did, she objected. He made it clear to her that he, and not her was in charge. She griped and the ill feelings went on from there.

- Collapse -
All that

having nothing to do with the content of the article.

Dan

- Collapse -
conservative mantra

...which goes back to the conservative mantra of attacking the messenger instead of the message, thank you very much Dan.

- Collapse -
'The real reason"
But the reason behind Bush's double dissing of Thomas isn't directly related to his basic contempt for White House beat reporters. Bush ignored Helen Thomas because she is no longer the Helen Thomas of yesteryear, a deadline artist writing news for tens of millions of UPI readers. She left the waning wire in silent protest, after convicted felon Rev. Sun Myung Moon's News World Communications rescued it from collapse in 2000, and took a job at the Hearst News Service. There, Helen Thomas the Pundit writes a sharply partisan syndicated White House column about what she thinks?as opposed to Helen Thomas the Reporter, who wrote about what she'd learned. How bad is the column? Only a couple of Hearst papers, the Seattle Post-Intelligencer and the Houston Chronicle, publish her pieces with any regularity.

http://slate.msn.com/id/2080034/

She was a White House reporter for 57 years, and has won many prestigious awards and honorary degrees.

She is a widow, and my guess is that work is what keeps her going in her 80+ years. Though I look upon her like I do a formerly great athlete who doesn't retire at the height of his career, I can, as a senior myself, understand why she did not.

In with the new, out with the old.

Angeline

- Collapse -
Bush can't stand independent thought or slightest criticism.

Why else do you think he keeps trying to insert tame reporters into the press pool? He wants to know the questions in advance so he can give scripted replies. This is another reason I have doubts about his MBA.

Rob Boyter

- Collapse -
he keeps trying to insert tame reporters into the press pool

One reporter that "snuck in" to ask an "editorialized question" in Bush's favor FOR A CHANGE (as opposed to the myriad of bashing questions from the rest of the cabal), does not make your assertion ring true Sad

CNET Forums

Forum Info