General discussion

Held hostage!

This is killing me! I am running CPU XP3000 with 1gig of memory; windows Xp SP2. Why is it a gig doesn't help me do more than one thing at a time?
If I am making a CD or something and go online to pass the time away, everything comes to a crawl. It runs like I am using 32megs instead of 1 gig.
Any ideas? I have two 512meg sticks, one 2700 the other 3300..TIA

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: Held hostage!
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Held hostage!
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
The most common issue is that XP is in PIO IDE Mode.

And a bug shows IDE channels to be in DMA. To be sure, you change it to PIO, OK it, go back in, set to DMA, OK it. No reboot needed.

But that's a software issue. What hardware is suspect?

Not told is if you have some WinModem. These are notorious for turning the fastest machines into hand calculators.

Bob

- Collapse -
Are you using NERO?

If you're using Nero to burn CD's, that might be the culprit. Nero is notorious for hogging resources.

- Collapse -
Roxio Media Center 7.0

It is not just when burning a CD. If I am decripting a DVD, running Norton Win Doctor,
It becomes so slow, even the sound system sounds like it is sick (system sounds)

Frustrating part is, I had 512megs with XP2400 and it ran better then this config....

- Collapse -
PIO?

Please explain just a bit more.
I am running "roadrunner" cable not a winmodem

- Collapse -
Robert is speaking about the Mode [speed]

that your drives are running at. PIO is the oldest slowest. He is saying that in Win XP it will as using DMA when it actually isn't. So if DMA change to PIO mode and run a moment and go back in and set it back to DMA.

You Optical [ATAPI] drive has "burn Proof" technology, so if the data isn't keeping the burner's input buffer suffiently full the burner slows the burn rate so as not to get a buffer underrun and create a coaster. If burning from CD device to another CD device with a slow computer, many cannot bew doing anything else on the computer in order to keep the burn rate up.

- Collapse -
thanks for all the info

I did go and place into PIO and then back to DMA.

I did notice that it really isn't a memory problem. There is still 630megs available(norton's system doctor)

I then checked out the running processes and found that my cpu is cranking at 98% with decrypting software and burning software too. I guess I can't do much about that. I guess that when you burn a disk you learn that is what you are doing and that's the only thing you'll do successfully....when I closed out the software, my CPU runs at 2-5%... thanks people for your help

- Collapse -
CD Burning

It's been my experience that burning requires most of your resources and shouldn't be interfered with. Most cdrw drives are capable of much faster speeds than the current processors can achieve. That's why they stopped at 52x a few years ago. There was no need for faster drives without faster processors. The processors are gaining ground, and, maybe someday we'll see 100x cd burning. For now, I burn at 24 times. Try slowing the burner down a little. You want notice the difference in the time it takes to burn a cd, and it can reduce errors in burning.
When I burn a cd, I don't do anything else. I ususally leave the room until the process is completed.
Best of Luck

- Collapse -
I hear you

Yes you are right. And, burning DVD's even take more resources, right?
I was thinking that adding another 512megs of memory would end my problem. Live and learn. Well at least I paid under $100. Paid $90 for 64megs once...

CNET Forums

Forum Info