Computer Help forum

General discussion

HEEELLPPPP- "the application has failed to start because..."

by AnuOcto14 / August 31, 2010 5:30 AM PDT

hey all

i have xp pro sp2 64bit
i have all the required drivers and software installed

i have ms office 2007, photoshop cs3, 3ds max 9 installed

few days before they were working just fine.
then, may be, due to any version of vc++ redist installed via any game or other software the applications i've mentioned above have failed to start with following error-

" <system path of the application>

the application has failed to start because the application configuration is incorrect. Reinstalling the application may fix this error. "

i browsed through some forums and came to know that its related to c++ versions and could be repaired by reinstalling the correct version.

so i downloaded and installed vcredist 2005 and 2008 for x64 but no use.

3ds max doesn't start(without error) but it's seen in the task manager processes, same with corel painter 11

while photoshop and ms office doesn't start and give the above mentioned error msg.

reinstalling all the applications again is really painful.

SO PLEASE SUGGEST WHAT I SHOULD DO!!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: HEEELLPPPP- "the application has failed to start because..."
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: HEEELLPPPP- "the application has failed to start because..."
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
(NT) Tried system restore?
by Kees Bakker / August 31, 2010 5:32 AM PDT
Collapse -
i didn't
by AnuOcto14 / August 31, 2010 6:15 AM PDT
In reply to: Tried system restore?

i didn't tried system restore because i had installed a lot of other software and drivers before recognizing this problem. i changed my graphic card from gt240 to 9800gt

so to install 9800 gt i had to uninstall the previous installation which was for gt 240

and i believe that after that these software aren't working.

even kaspersky failed to start

Collapse -
Re: failed to start
by Kees Bakker / August 31, 2010 6:18 AM PDT

Well, it's your choice to either go back to when it still worked or go forward. You don't want to do the first (system restore) and you describe the second (reinstall those applications) as "really painfull", so it seems you don't want to do that either.

Then stay where you are and don't use that programs that won't run at the moment. But I think you don't want that either.

So it's an unpleasant choice to make.

Kees

Collapse -
MAAAN!!!
by AnuOcto14 / August 31, 2010 6:26 AM PDT
In reply to: Re: failed to start

seems like reinstalling the applications is the only option...i'll have uninstall every software that supports vc++ and .net framework and reinstall them again Sad

thanks anyway

but please do let me know if there is any particular remedy for this error if system restore or re-installation doesn't work. Happy

Collapse -
hey....i need a suggestion here
by AnuOcto14 / September 1, 2010 9:10 AM PDT
In reply to: MAAAN!!!

i have this configuration

Processor: AMD Athlon X2 64 Dual Core Processor 5200+
Motherboard: Asus M2A-VM 690g chipset
expansion slots- 1 x PCI Express x16
1 x PCI Express x1
2 x PCI
Hard Disk: 1tb WDC WD10EARS-00Y5B1
RAM: two 4gb ddr2
DVD/CD ROM Drive: Sony HL-DT-ST DVD-RAM GH22NP20
Network Adapters: RTL8168/8111 PCI-E Gigabit Ethernet NIC
Monitor- Old samtron monitor....with max desktop resolution not more than 1152x864.
ZOTAC 9800 GT 1gb DDR3

PSU: TECHCOM 600 Watt

OS- Windows XP SP2 64 Bit

i just wanted to know if "600 watt" power supply is sufficient for this configuration as 9800 gt itself requires minimun 400 watt power supply
because my system sometimes hangs for 5-15 seconds...and the cabinet led remains stable which otherwise keeps blinking so i think psu is not able to supply require power

how can we check how much its supplying? i checked in the bios that power rail is 11.9X V and 9800gt needs 12v power rail.

please suggest something

Collapse -
If you....
by Papa Echo / September 1, 2010 9:42 AM PDT

...do not want to follow the instructions to reinstall the applications [because...'it is really painfull], I think we can offer nothing better....For most, that would have been the first thing to do, even without that advice.

Collapse -
not helping
by AnuOcto14 / September 1, 2010 2:25 PM PDT
In reply to: If you....

your suggestion is not helping... i just asked about the "power supply" if its sufficient.
moreover i've reinstalled all the software that were causing problem at their startup but still error shoots up every time

Collapse -
Well....
by Papa Echo / September 2, 2010 1:24 AM PDT
In reply to: not helping

... if you do not help yourself by not following instructions offered[which could have solved the problem], why ask ?

Collapse -
are you active on these forums to argue or suggest?
by AnuOcto14 / September 2, 2010 2:33 AM PDT
In reply to: Well....

i had already replied to Kees's comment that I'll have to reinstall the software again and and i had replied to your comment also "moreover i've reinstalled all the software that were causing problem at their startup but still error shoots up every time". seriously did you read just subject title?
if it's still not working then there can be some other issue because the software used to work fine before.

i figured out that vc++ files got corrupted.

these forums are for suggestions only and not for arguing. better stick to that only or don't reply. Period!!

P.S.- thanks to Kees and Bob for their comments.

Collapse -
Just comiserating.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 1, 2010 9:37 PM PDT

I've found XP 64 bit to be a painful version to support. Thankfully we have a hit with Windows 7 64 bit and the last stalwart that insisted he stay on XP 64 has moved on. I know this doesn't help your issue but given the money you paid for PhotoShop it may be time to call them up and ask how to resolve this if the usual uninstall and reinstall of photo shop has failed.
Bob

Collapse -
thanks.
by AnuOcto14 / September 2, 2010 2:51 AM PDT
In reply to: Just comiserating.

i should try win7 then.
but i can't find any m2a-vm chipset drivers for win 7 64 bit on amd website.

Collapse -
You could research that.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 2, 2010 3:01 AM PDT
In reply to: thanks.

It's possible there are discussions about the AMD 690 chipset and Windows 7 out there.

http://support.amd.com/us/psearch/Pages/psearch.aspx?type=2.7&product=2.7.3.3.1&contentType=Tech+Download+Chipset+Motherboard&ostype=&keywords=&items=20 notes FRESH drivers from this year that is very surprising to me.

Back to the software issues.

I can't find many clues about how your machine came to be broken. Other there is something like registry cleaners, cracks, or more involved. I have yet to see the redist packages cause this issue.
Bob

Collapse -
i searched for that
by AnuOcto14 / September 2, 2010 3:12 AM PDT

i had searched some forums about this error. most of them were having due to corruption in vc++ files...or some visualstudio80.CRT files were missing.

and about the smps...i checked on nvidia forums that 9800gt needs minimum 26A on +12v single rail and i have 20A...so i guess i need a new PSU

Collapse -
Oh, the rails.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 2, 2010 3:15 AM PDT
In reply to: i searched for that

I've been down that road a few times. Sorry but if we overtax a PSU we often find the drive content going corrupt. OUCH!

You may have found a cause for the troubles.

As to corrupting in vc++ files that seems EASY to fix. Remove and replace. The redist package would do that.
Bob

Collapse -
yeah man
by AnuOcto14 / September 2, 2010 3:25 AM PDT
In reply to: Oh, the rails.

i had replaced the vc++ files with new package and now overtaxing seams to be the only problem.
i'll get a new one and check then and i wish everything works fine. meanwhile i've installed old 8400gs again...hehehe Silly :D.

thanks for the suggestion Happy

Collapse -
no supports
by AnuOcto14 / September 3, 2010 12:25 AM PDT

i searched for m2a-vm 690g chipset drivers and supports. there aren't any. they have software available till vista 64 bit only.

Collapse -
Did you ask Microsoft?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 3, 2010 12:35 AM PDT
In reply to: no supports
Collapse -
did the test
by AnuOcto14 / September 3, 2010 2:25 AM PDT
In reply to: Did you ask Microsoft?

hey i did the compatibility test.
my system passed HappyHappy
and i have a Asus Motherboard and i checked the asus's site for m2a-vm compatible drivers and they are available GrinGrin

downloading them all right now

and about PSU..i'm gonna get a new one tomorrow. will test the machine on it then.

thanks Happy

Collapse -
about the test
by AnuOcto14 / September 3, 2010 2:35 AM PDT
In reply to: did the test

it shows that 4 system requirements were passed?
what is the minimum system requirement then?

Collapse -
Most it's all about you.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 3, 2010 3:06 AM PDT
In reply to: about the test

While I am glad to move away from XP and Vista some must stay there. That XP 64 bit was nice in its day but today I find it hard to get support for when its needed. Most tell you to reload.
Bob

Collapse -
confusion....its an ECO card
by AnuOcto14 / September 3, 2010 3:49 PM PDT

i checked some forums that ECO cards have some issues. mine is one.

i need to know that should i get a normal 9800gt then only a new PSU?
if i stick with ECO one only then does this still needs to fulfill minimum 26A at +12v power rail condition?

Collapse -
I'd skip the 9800.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 3, 2010 9:00 PM PDT

That card was a gamer's choice last year. Today you look at the GT line so you don't get into those 1000 Watt power supplies.

Why pick such an outdated card today?
Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?