User Name HOME\Smarty
Time Zone SA Western Standard Time
Total Physical Memory 1,024.00 MB
Available Physical Memory 541.45 MB
Total Virtual Memory 2.00 GB
Available Virtual Memory 1.96 GB
Page File Space 1.40 GB
Page File C:\pagefile.sys

I downloaded Firefox recently and had to uninstall same because the system began to run very slow. I ran virus and spyware scans that turned up nothing using AVG, Avast, Spybot S&D, and Xoftspy. I am now minded to use A Squared online scanner.

Several checks made via Task Manager has revealed figures that may or may not be alarming. I am acquainted with the fact that you can look and see whats running and the amount of CPU and Memory usage. I have noticed the following readings:-

iexplore.exe Smarty memory usage 58,348 k
ashWebsv.exe SYSTEM 38,104 K
explorer Smarty 41,088 k
ashserve.exe SYSTEM 19,628 k
svchost SYSTEM 40,432 k

The above use the most memory. Tea Timer was using about 40,348 k but I unticked it so it does not run. I do not know whether the items above should rerad that way. they give me cause for alarm. I forgot to say that there are 33 running processes.

Can you advise whether the above readings are normal or are leading to trouble. I find startup a bit sluggish and that internet pages including msn, microsoft, yahoo mail avast and even Cnet take more time to load.

One thing I do regularly is to clean out Temporary internet files, cookies, temp files and forms almost on a daily basis. I also do disk cleanup and run scans regularly as well as to defrag. I have also noticed that there are quite a lot of addins most from microsoft and Sun Java. Active x controls and browser helpers.

Thanking you in anticipation for your advice and/or suggestions.

standeb

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Heavy Task Manager Readings
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Heavy Task Manager Readings
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: task manager
by Kees Bakker / March 12, 2008 6:36 PM PDT

I can't see anything wrong. ash... = Avast antivirus.

How about the CPU usage? System idle should be above 95% when you're doing nothing.

Kees

Collapse -
Re-Task Manger Readings
by standeb / March 12, 2008 10:20 PM PDT
In reply to: Re: task manager

Hi Kees.

Thank you for your reply.My System Idle process is between 94/97%, Memory usage is 16k.

Kindly let me have your comments.
Thanking you.

Standeb.

Collapse -
(NT) Nothing wrong that I can see.
by Kees Bakker / March 12, 2008 11:09 PM PDT
Collapse -
Re: Heavy Task Manager Readings.
by standeb / March 16, 2008 12:24 PM PDT

Hello Kees,

Got your reply and am thankful for the same. The delay in replying was due to pressure of work at the office and not at my station.

I rely upon you advice that things appear to be normal and no cause for alarm.

Many thanks again

Best regards.

standeb.

Collapse -
new ram
by Nightmares0nwax / March 16, 2008 9:51 PM PDT

get some new memory, remove your old stick and install 2 x 1Gb - 2gb memory sticks. 2gb is sufficient for most pcs these days. you will notice a very large performance boost. most pre built systems barely have enough memory to run windows. that means you have to use your slow hard drive as a memory backup.

you can once you install more ram set up windows to run entierly in memory, and switch off page filing. with 2gb XP should run sweet at about 800mb. giving you 1gb + for free use.

depending on your motherboard will depend oin what memory you can install. but relatively high performance memory is not expensive. especially now that ddr3 is out. you can pick up 2gb of very good ddr2 memory for about 40 bucks!!

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=MY-072-OC is a perfect example, except you need to find out what motherboard you have. if you are interested i can pick you out some that will work. all i need is your PCs EXACT make and model. or your motherboards make and model.

Collapse -
Heavy Task Manager Readings
by standeb / March 17, 2008 11:24 AM PDT
In reply to: new ram

Hello NightmaresOnwax,

Thank you for your reply thread. I agree that I still need another gb of ram. I upgraaded from 128 to 356 and recently to 1gb. I intend to purchase that gb very soon.

My motherboard is PC Chips version 8.23A. This information comes from the cd. My system was built not store bought. XP Pro was installed over Win 98. The filing system was fat32. I had a clean install done with XP Pro SP2 with filing system NTFS. In February I upgraded from my 20gb hd to 80gb and used the 20gb as storage, hence the upgrade in ram.

I visited the site you suggested and had a pretty good look. Since I am not very computer savy. I look forward to your further suggestions. Please note the information with respect to the mother board and the fact that my pc is nearly 4 years old. I never had a major problem until It was infected in September last and the Clean install was done. I runs pretty good right now but needs to be speeded up.

Thank you again.I await your reply.

Standeb.

Collapse -
If you look at what you wrote in your ...
by Edward ODaniel / March 18, 2008 7:03 AM PDT

original post, more RAM is not going to be of much help. Half of what you already have is available and very little is paged to your virtual memory.

With the processor you have and the video you didn't mention which is likely integrated your system will not be as fast as other systems you might have noticed.

I find startup a bit sluggish and that internet pages including msn, microsoft, yahoo mail avast and even Cnet take more time to load.

What is "slugish" to you? My preferred system takes a little more than 6 minutes just to get to the logon prompt screen - that is a little "sluggish" to some but I know that many of the services and apps I have running are the cause as well as the multi homed box having to negotiate with a couple of networks.

To fix the "sluggishness" it might help to know ALL the processes that you have running both at boot and when you feel it is running too slow.

If applications are actually taking more time to load you might want make use of your Device Manager to check to see if your DMA settings are optimal. Since you recently upgraded to a 80GB drive AND are still using the old 20GB drive I strongly suspect DMA settings to be incorrect. This following link might be of help with doing so - It first EXPLAINS DMA and PIO then it steps you through.
http://club.cdfreaks.com/f61/troubleshooting-enabling-checking-dma-windows-vista-xp-2000-me-9x-101616/

Again, based on what you have already told us, I would NOT suggest spending money on more RAM as it won't be of much benefit. Save the money and invest it later in a new system with faster components.

Collapse -
Heavy Task Manager Readings
by standeb / April 20, 2008 2:06 PM PDT

Hello Edward,

My apologies for not replying sooner having been ill and not being able to source a computer from hospital.

I have read with interest your reply and thank you for the same. I do agree with the penultimate paragraph of your thread. I was thinking of changing the motherboard and processor. That alone, not including the power systems, should cost approximately one quarter the price of a new system. So that A new system is requisite. I shall take my time with this a bit and than purchase a new system.

Thanking you again for you invaluable reply and your kind assistance.

Best regards.

standeb.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

Turn up the volume with our Apple Byte sweeps!

Two lucky winners will take home the coveted smart speaker that lets Siri help you around your connected house. This sweepstake ends Feb. 25, 2018.