General discussion

Heaven is 'a fairy story

The concept of heaven or any kind of afterlife is a "fairy story," famed British scientist Stephen Hawking said in a newspaper interview this week.

"I regard the brain as a computer which will stop working when its components fail," the physicist said in an interview published Sunday in Britain's Guardian newspaper. "There is no heaven or afterlife for broken down computers; that is a fairy story for people afraid of the dark."

More....

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: Heaven is 'a fairy story
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Heaven is 'a fairy story
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Either way, neither can prove it

unless someone can make a ghostly appearance on the evening news for an interview next to their own body.

- Collapse -
Yep, can't prove negatives....

And since you can't prove that Leprechauns or fairies don't exist then we must concede that maybe they do. We can do the same about Santa and the Easter Bunny too, huh? In fact the list could go on to infinity. Just make up as many things as you want and you can argue that all of them are possible since no one can prove they're not. Sound logical to you?

- Collapse -
As I said, faith in anything isn't logical.

Not much on religion myself, but I've seen people that their religion helps them do good things.

- Collapse -
Comic strip of 1940s, Barnaby.

He was a kid with a Fairy Godfather, Mr O'Malley, whose cigar was his magic wand. Anyway, Barnaby's father didn't believe in him because he had never seen him- which is also why Mr O'Malley didn't believe in Barnaby's father. Laugh

- Collapse -
"Soul" isn't a problem for those who take the

Bible seriously.
"And the LORD God formed man [of] the dust of the ground, and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life; and man became a living soul." Gen 2:7, KJV
So man doesn't have a soul, he is a soul; a physical being.

It doesn't live on in an 'afterlife', it dies because of sin.
"Behold, all souls are mine; as the soul of the father, so also the soul of the son is mine: the soul that sinneth, it shall die." Ezek 18:4

The non-Biblical religions created the soul- a 'core part of man that doesn't die'. It's useful in recruiting, if you convince the acolyte that his core part will be punished eternally if the group's rules and rulers are disobeyed. The Bible OTOH presents one punishment for sin: death, not 'life in eternity'. Romans 6:7,23. And that punishment is for disobeying the Ruler and his Rules.

Hawking, like so many others, has picked up the popular wisdom without checking the sources for himself. "Shoemaker, stick to thy last."

He does have one thing right: The computer/man/body/soul stops working after a while (if war, disease, or accident don't interfere). Resurrection, another topic entirely, is the only 'cure' for death.

- Collapse -
So heaven is for people who are afraid of death?

I've yet to meet a healthy person who claims they'd welcome it. Wink

- Collapse -
Old song: "Everybody wants to go to heaven,

but nobody wants to die."

- Collapse -
Possibly a Freudian slip.

Men like Hawking are used to thinking of us ordinary folks as child-like. Grin

- Collapse -
People will believe what they believe.

I've never seen a neutrino or <span id="INSERTION_MARKER"> a superstring, but there are those who swear they exist. There's a lot we just don't know.

- Collapse -
I've never seen electricity, but it

has made a believer out of me a couple of times.
Happy

CNET Forums