Desktops forum

General discussion

Heatsync Question

I recently purchased an Athlon XP 3000+ and a compatible heatsync. The heatsync comes with a protective "pink heat spot" on the bottom of the heatsync, which is supposed to act like thermal grease. I was wondering if I should use thermal grease instead of this "heat spot", and if I do, if I should try and remove the spot (as the instructions reccomend) when I use the thermal grease.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Heatsync Question
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Heatsync Question
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: Heatsync Question

In reply to: Heatsync Question

I'd follow the instructions.

Collapse -

In reply to: Re: Heatsync Question

But would you reccomend using thermal grease instead of the "spot"?

Collapse -

Both work well. If you take the time to research this, you find indications that one is better than the other. The results go both ways, so it's your choice.

Bob

Collapse -

Which would you reccomend?

Collapse -

I reccomend either the pink heat pad or goop. There were a few that tried it with neither and fried CPU was the result.

Remember that you can find web pages declaring either one to be better.

Bob

Collapse -
Now I have another problem...

I'm trying to install the heatsync, but I can't get the short clip to go over one end of the socket. I took the heatsync off, and now the pink pad looks messed up. First, any tips on installing the heatsync? And second, should I now wash the pink pad off an use grease, since the pad looks messed up?

Collapse -
Re: Now I have another problem...

In reply to: Now I have another problem...

The pad will deform on install. I guess you "have to know" when its so bad that you scrape it off and use goop instead.

Many Athlon heatsink clips are not installable with your bare hands. I have some needlenose pliars I use to grab the clip and place it over the plastic tab. I take extreme care during this step since a slipup and I could crack the CPU core or scrap the motherboard.

Bob

Collapse -
Re: Now I have another problem...

In reply to: Re: Now I have another problem...

Okay, I'm now trying to take the heatsync off, but I can't get the clips on the short arm of the heatsync to come off. I can slide it off because there are resistors in the way. I've tryed manipulating the mechanism in every way I can possible figure out how, but it won't slip off. What do I do now?

Collapse -
Never mind, figured it out

In reply to: Re: Now I have another problem...

Thanks for your help. I managed to take of the heatsync on my own (just took a little bit of percision and a whole lot of patience). I'm going to use the thermal grease that came with the fan, just to be on the safe side. Turns out that I was trying to put the heatsync on wrong in the first place (I put the long arm on and tried to push the short one down instead of the other way around Silly). But everything is fine, and I now know how to do it. If I need any more help, I'll let you know. Thanks a lot!

Collapse -

The thermal tape that is on the bottom of the heatsink will be evenly spread over the surface of the CPU as the CPU heats up. I would try this first and see what your CPU temperature is. If it is too high then you will have to COMPLETELY remove the remains of the thermal tape from both the CPU surface and the heatsink surface. I have found rubbing alcohol and a Q-tip cotton based swab to work very well to remove the old compound. If you want to use a thermal compound, please use Artic Silver 5 as it will make a good thermal conduit between the CPU and the heatsink. DO NOT use a large amount of compound when you apply it. Too much is just as bad as not having any at all. I have found a square toothpick to work well to spread the compound on the CPU surface. MAKE SURE it is a very THIN layer of compound, on the order of the thickness of a piece of paper.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

REVIEW

Sublime suburban chariot

High on style and technology, the 2019 Volvo XC90 is an incredibly satisfying everyday crossover.