General discussion

Heat wave broken, finally

I had my garden drip hose on for two days, just to save my tender sets. Two days were record setting heat near 100, one at or breaking a record more than a century ago. I woke up today in the 70's and "Happy Days" were here again.

SAVE US AL GORE!

Oh, wait, I'm supposed to do that in winter, aren't I? Wink

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: Heat wave broken, finally
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Heat wave broken, finally
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Picking snow peas now

In fact, they're about all gone with the 95 degree temps. They didn't fare as well this year and I'll blame the the soggy Spring. These get planted in late March and are usually fully harvested by mid June. I plant these around the entire perimeter so they don't take up other usable space and they're gone early. We had highly saturated soil for quite some time as they were trying to grow. I think root rot kept them stunted and I only had about 70% germination. They're Burpee brand seeds so should have been ok. Last year we were attacked by rabbits and they took out a good portion of the crop but there's a bunny fence up this year. They've been peeking in but give up easily. I've got blooms on the tomatoes and they've nice sturdy stalks. I was late planting them by a couple weeks but they look great so far. I could never buy a tomato from the grocery after having home grown.

- Collapse -
ground clear

I put some down between fences along one side of my property and last year I thought I might try beans on the fence. Nope, they sprouted but died shortly after. The Ground Clear was still killing stuff off. Original application was to keep down weeds between my cyclone fencing and the privacy fencing that neighbor later put up right next to it.

Winter was too cold too long, then it was too wet too long. I wasn't going to till since I thought the ground was still too wet and I don't care to till mud. Wife did it instead and suprisingly my soil was improved enough that inspite of the wetness it tilled fairly well without mudding up her shoes. A week later got the plants in and a week after that the heat wave.

Today I just cut down the weeds in my corn area which were browned from Roundup sprayed a week before. I then tilled the area. Maybe tomorrow I'll put my dripline back in there and get the corn seed in ground. Have 90 day and 120 day corn to plant there. I think next year I may just run the tiller for each planted line and not till the area in between the rows, I could get bay with 1/3 the effort and probably have easier time laying dripline and planting the seed.

Thinking of putting some pole beans (blue lake cannellini) in it between stalks when corn is 3-4' tall.

- Collapse -
My Dad

when I was young and before we moved into Tampa city, used to plant lima beans around the perimeter fence and then pick the pods after they were all dried. It's surprising how many beans he'd get from a few hundred feet of fence line.

- Collapse -
Snow peas are quite proliic as well

but short seasoned. I really only like them small and fresh. We tried freezing for later stir fry but they were not as good. They mature very quickly and we sometimes need to pick twice a day. The pods get stringy if you don't get them soon enough. The later ones I'll sometimes let go and produce their peas. It's a pain to shell them but they can be much tastier than regular peas. I did pole beans years ago and may pull the peas now and put beans in if it's not getting too late. I gave up on them due to bean beetles but maybe will give it another go. My veggie garden is much smaller these days as I'm not as capable as I once was. It's about a third of the size it was 20 years ago. As well, I live in the city and my backyard faces west with 4 lane thoroughfare behind it. There are trees on the city right of way that have gotten very tall and I lose the afternoon sun. I can't mess with the trees under threat of fine or imprisonment. I love the way government enforcement is so friendly. Wink

- Collapse -
some ground clear at the base

of the trees will bring the sun back. Wink

- Collapse -
Do you mean

Remove some of the bark? Devil

- Collapse -
I thought about "girdling" but

that's a bit obvious. Ground clear in early spring can always be attributed to runoff from a salt dump during the winter by a road truck. Wink

- Collapse -
I've been dealing with different issues.

Woke up Monday morning to a malfunctioning central air conditioner. Been dealing with that all week.

- Collapse -
Propane?

If an old R12 or R22 unit needing charging I can tell you how to charge it with propane for cooling. Propane as a refrigerant is more efficient anyway and naturally lubricating in the compressor. I had an old central AC unit already past year 24 since that's how long I've owned the house and it wasn't new when I bought the house. I've been using propane R290 in it since R12 & R22 weren't available without special license.

- Collapse -
(NT) Sorry, I know you wanted palm trees.

CNET Forums