Laptops forum

Question

Heat Sink Fan help

Hello everyone.

So I recently upgraded my hardrive and had to do a fresh install of everything. Now everything seems to be working fine. However, and this could be a normal thing, but my heat sink fan will randomly turn on about mid high speed, run for a few moments then return back to being silent. This will happen when I'm working, blender and gimp, watching videos online, and sometimes just browsing the internet. It will do it while playing games, but I expect that. I just wanted to make sure this in normal and make sure my computer is ok. I also wanted to make sure it wasn't a driver I forgot to install. Here are my computer specs, let me know if there is anything else you wish to know.

Time of this report: 1/16/2015, 11:19:26
Machine name: MECATOLREX
Operating System: Windows 8.1 64-bit (6.3, Build 9600) (9600.winblue_r3.140827-1500)
Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
System Manufacturer: CLEVO CO.
System Model: W35_37ET
BIOS: BIOS Date: 10/26/12 14:53:27 Ver: 04.06.05
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3740QM CPU @ 2.70GHz (8 CPUs), ~2.7GHz
Memory: 8192MB RAM
Available OS Memory: 8080MB RAM
Page File: 2389MB used, 13883MB available
Windows Dir: C:\WINDOWS
DirectX Version: DirectX 11

Intel 4000HD
Nvidia Geforce GTX 660m 2GB

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Heat Sink Fan help
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Heat Sink Fan help
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Sounds right.

In reply to: Heat Sink Fan help

Fans tend to bring out folk that do not like auto speed control or how some speed control systems ramp up so fast. I'm going to write this sounds just like all those prior discussions. YOUR CHOICE TO RETURN this as unacceptable.
Bob

Collapse -
If all is well

In reply to: Sounds right.

It doesn't bother me so much as I was just concerned that my computer was over working because I forgot to install something.

Collapse -
My thought is that it's one of the typical systems.

In reply to: If all is well

Some of the more thought out speed controls tend to ramp up the speed rather then flip it to high speed then slow down as the temp drops. It's less jarring and reduces calls to the help lines.
Bob

Collapse -
So ...

In reply to: My thought is that it's one of the typical systems.

if it the system behaves differently after he reinstalled Windows on the new hard disk, maybe he didn't install "everything" as he wrote. There might be a utility on the "drivers and utilities" disk or such, that lets you determine a fan policy or something like that. Not that I've ever seen such, but it doesn't seem impossible.

I have to wonder why he didn't clone the old disk, but chose to reinstall Windows.That's much easier, much less work and more or less guaranteed to keep everything the same.

Kees

Collapse -
That's a good point

In reply to: So ...

Speed control is more likely to be in the BIOS than the OS. Yes some install speedfan which I only like since folk can fry a machine by changing the speed and cooking the parts.

Over the past decade, installing Windows has not changed much on its install. However all the drivers and apps after the OS install has become more and more tedious to "you're kidding me."
Bob

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

Enter to win* a free holiday tech gift!

CNET's giving five lucky winners the gift of their choice valued up to $250!