Phones forum

General discussion

hearing impaired-cell phones

by lasvegas / December 9, 2004 1:57 PM PST

Can anyone give me some help on type of cell phone that would be more useful for person with hearing loss and using hearing aids?
Cell phones can cause disturbance or static when put up to hearing aids that the person hears as well as the intended voice on phone. Also any suggestions on particular cell phones that have higher volumn.
I realize this does not relate to most all out there, but maybe someone in similar situation can offer help.
Thank you,
Las Vegas

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: hearing impaired-cell phones
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: hearing impaired-cell phones
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
I can only suggest you use a headset.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 9, 2004 9:19 PM PST

The Plantronics models are nice.

Bob

Collapse -
hearing aid - cell phones
by JohnofPS / December 23, 2004 7:59 PM PST

If your hearing aid contains a T-coil you might check into Nokia cell phones and the Nokia LPS-1 Loopset. I have a Nokia 5190 with the loopset and have great luck with it. The loopset transmit directly to the hearing aid once the hearing aid is put in telephone mode thereby creating a handsfree cell connection.

Collapse -
loop
by bif / January 14, 2005 1:32 AM PST

If my hearing aids are automatic t-coil aids (they automaticly go into telephone mode when you put a hearing aid compatible phone to your ear) will the loops still work?

Collapse -
Hearng Impaired help
by MCKYMOUSE0322 / January 31, 2005 4:56 AM PST

I know that you can find cell phone help for hearing impaired @ www.hitec.com or 800-288-8303

Collapse -
Cell phones and hearing aids
by jkeer3741 / April 8, 2005 4:19 AM PDT

STAY AWAY FROM CINGULAR STAY AWAY FROM CINGULAR
They are digital and unless you have digital h/a it will make your life hell.

I suggest you go with VERIZON
I was with them but they did not offer any new deals so my wife switched to CIngular b ecause they told her "All our phones are hearing aide compatible). They lied right threw their teeth. Then when I was having trouble finding a phone, they tried to charge me for the phone when they said I could have a new one. I told them that under the ADA and the FCCA, THEY HAVE TO PROVIDE SAME SERVICES EQUAL TO THE PERSON'S ABILITIES.
They tried to get me to take a cheep phone and wear one of their gross neck loops that displayed HEARING IMPAIRED like the old time horns deaf people held to their ears. GO WITH ANALOG...

Collapse -
Cell Phone For Hearing Impaired
by Jerry49 / July 26, 2005 6:13 AM PDT

I'm a hearing aid user.
I have the t-coil on my hearing aid, it works with a telephone.
CDMA is the only cell service that works with the t-coil.

Sprint is CDMA

GSM will not work with hearing aids.

Collapse -
Hearing Impaired cell phones & HATIS
by kentsc / August 12, 2005 3:35 AM PDT

I am hearing impaired and wear hearing aids with the t-coil setting.

My experience and search for cell phones took me on a rocky road two years ago, although providers are getting better at complying with ADA policies.

What's already been said on the forum is also what I found in my research. CDMA technology (Verizon, Sprint) works with hearing aids, while GSM (Cingular T-mobile) still produces too much frequency interference. Until GSM providers make cell phones with more shields by something like 2007, the only way to go is CDMA.

My provider is Verizon and my current phone is LG 6100 which has a speakerphone with a very loud volume which I use with the cellphone held close to my ear/hearing aid. To make more private phone calls, I use HATIS headset. Hatis are headsets strictly manufactured to work with hearing aids and it is an excellent product. My model is the Freedom. Verizon used to carry them, but no longer. You might still ask the Verizon stores because if they have old stock, you might get them for far less than the $150 price tag. It is worth the money because you can use this with the cordless phones and all makes of cell phones. It is also a discreetly and well designed headset unlike the neckloop in looks and quality of sound. Hearing aid wearers cannot use standard earbud that plugs in your ear for obvious reasons. Hatis comes with a C that hooks outside your ear right next to the hearing aid and delivers sound through your T-coil directly to your hearing aid. Link below, happy shopping.

http://hatis.com/

Here are some more links worth reading:

http://tap.gallaudet.edu/BlueBook2002.htm
http://www.accesswireless.org/index.htm

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

We are giving away 'Black Panther' swag!

Four lucky readers will be taking home *Marvel*ous "Black Panther" prizes, including magazines autographed by the King of Wakanda himself! Giveaway ends Feb. 25, 2018.