Headphones & Mp3 Players forum

General discussion

Headphones for Zune HD?

by lizard2010 / January 22, 2010 8:14 AM PST

I'm getting Zune HD soon but I've heard that the headphones that come with it aren't very good. In the past I've just used stock earbuds (like with my Zen V Plus) but I'd really like to get some better ones. I'm on a pretty tight budget, about $20 is my max but I could probably be persuaded to spend $30, anything in the hundreds is definitely out of my range. I also tried the JVC Marshmallows but I hated them, they made my ears feel clogged up. I definitely prefer the circular shaped earbuds to to the post shaped ones. Any recommendations would be much appreciated! Also (and this may be a dumb question), I read something that said that the radio on the Zune uses the headphones as an antenna, will it still work if I'm not using the stock earbuds? Thanks!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Headphones for Zune HD?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Headphones for Zune HD?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Headphones
by make_or_break / January 22, 2010 4:04 PM PST

Based upon your post, I assume you want buds. Stock HD buds are basically throwaways. Hard to say what will work best for you w/o more info. Love bass? Want balanced sound? Want great imaging for the money?

Sennheiser makes a nice set for the money called the CX300, but they're not for everyone. Its sound signature is a bit on the dark side and some describe the sound as not really sounding very natural and warm. But I found them very good with detail and precise for the money. Online you can find them for around $30-45US, depending upon the seller. If you're willing to spend about twice that, Head-Direct sells a really nice IEM called the RE-0; it's considered by many as one of the best sounding in-ear designs under $200. You can only buy them directly online from Head-Direct. Steve Guttenberg who does the Audiophiliac blog here on CNET absolutely LOVES Head-Direct's HiFiMan $600 full-size headset, the HE5. Both sets get a LOT of love over on head-fi.org, the REAL place to go for all things headphones. I own the RE-0, and while it's pretty good I'm not as taken by it as others on head-fi are. Still for $80 you'll be hard pressed to find ANY IEM or ear bud under $150 that can top it.

If you're willing to use a headband type set, Koss makes a killer unit: the PortaPros are a legendary 25 yr old design and are arguably the BEST sounding headphones of ANY type priced $100 or so dollars and down. Best Buy sells the best looking version (mostly black) IMO for $50, but the classic black w/ silver version can be found online from $30.

As for the radio on the HD; all you need to do is use any cabled headphone for it to work. It's the actual wire that serves as the antenna; there's nothing special at all with the OE buds.

Good luck w/ your search.

Collapse -
Thanks!
by lizard2010 / January 23, 2010 9:21 AM PST
In reply to: Headphones

Thanks a lot, I'll definitely look into the Sennheisers and the Head-Direct. I really like a natural, full sound but good detail trumps it any day. I love complex harmonies so it sounds like the Sennheisers would be great! Thanks again!

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.