Attention: The forums will be placed on read only mode this Saturday (Oct. 20, 2018)

During this outage (6:30 AM to 8 PM PDT) the forums will be placed on read only mode. We apologize for this inconvenience. Click here to read details

Speakeasy forum

General discussion

He told you

by JP Bill / August 25, 2011 11:36 PM PDT
Don't worry about the billionaires

For $5-billion, Mr. Buffett gets preferred stock with an annual
6-per-cent dividend (B of A common shares currently yield just 0.6 per
cent).

He gets 6%, Joe Blow gets .6%. 10 times more.
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: He told you
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: He told you
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
(NT) And if BofA tanks, his investment in it is toast.
by Steven Haninger / August 26, 2011 12:12 AM PDT
In reply to: He told you
Collapse -
AND so is everyone elses
by JP Bill / August 26, 2011 12:38 AM PDT

BUT he's getting 6% and they are getting .6%, until it is

AND, when/if it does,he may get first dibs on the money after it is toast, better chance than the common stock holder.

Collapse -
And so what would you prefer that Mr. Buffett do
by Steven Haninger / August 26, 2011 12:47 AM PDT
Collapse -
It depends, Steve...
by J. Vega / August 26, 2011 2:16 AM PDT

I thought he got "common" stock, not "preferred" stock. There is a big difference. Their preferred stock is currently $22.00 a share and pays a 7.53% dividend.
In a liquidation, preferred stockholders usually receive an amount equal to the initial investment, accrued and unpaid dividends. Then people holding common stock get the remaining assets.

Collapse -
(NT) He got preferred stock.
by Diana Forum moderator / August 27, 2011 10:05 AM PDT
In reply to: It depends, Steve...
Collapse -
Understand that but doesn't it only count if the company
by Steven Haninger / August 27, 2011 7:38 PM PDT
In reply to: It depends, Steve...

collapses? In that case, preferred stock holders get paid first out of what's left. I'm not sure that guarantees their entire initial investment comes back. They'll get the dividend regardless of what the stock value is or what others get but I thought the share value could go up or down as well. I imagine there are unpublished ways to negotiate "jumbo" deals as there are in other lending/borrowing instances. This is all certainly above my pay grade.

Collapse -
order of bankruptcy
by James Denison / August 28, 2011 2:19 AM PDT

Securitized debts come first, such as mortgages and any collateralized loans. Bond debt comes next and some of that is grouped according to first and following claim on what's left. Next is preferred stock. Last of all is common stock.

Collapse -
Not referring to total collapse
by Steven Haninger / August 28, 2011 5:48 AM PDT
In reply to: order of bankruptcy

Just normal market trends. Are you saying that the value of preferred stock is guaranteed? I've not yet heard of any investment where it's impossible to lose a dime. There are insured funds but limits on these as well. I'm not a high roller...just a penny-ante player anyway. I'll let others get the ulcers over this stuff.

Collapse -
no
by James Denison / August 28, 2011 6:40 AM PDT

preferred stock prices go up and down just like any other. They are less volatile usually due to the guaranteed dividend, which common stock doesn't have. In a bankruptcy however, preferred comes before common.

Collapse -
Ok, then my initial statement is correct
by Steven Haninger / August 28, 2011 7:12 AM PDT
In reply to: no

Mr. Buffett could lose his shirt...well, maybe a few threads on his left sock...on his investment if the BofA stock tanks. I did mistakenly leave out the word "stock". I can fully understand why a single investor with a lot of money can get a higher return than boatload of smaller investors. I can't fault banks or investment firms for operating their businesses that way.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!