Speakeasy forum

General discussion

He's AWOL (again/still) but he's not hiding.

by JP Bill / November 24, 2006 12:56 PM PST
U.S. soldier who fled to Alberta helps New Orleans

NEW ORLEANS (AP) - A U.S. army soldier who fled to Alberta, rather than return to Iraq, spent Thanksgiving week gutting houses flooded more than a year ago by hurricane Katrina.

"There are so many engineering units of the U.S. military - they should be here and not Iraq," Pte. Kyle Snyder, 23, of Colorado Springs, Colo., said Friday.

Snyder turned himself in Oct. 31, after his lawyer said he had reached a deal to have Snyder processed back into the army at Fort Knox and be discharged without a court martial. However, he went AWL again a day later. Lawyer James Fennerty of Chicago said the army wanted to send Snyder back to his original unit at Fort Leonard Wood, Mo., where commanders would determine his future.

"Legally, I'm AWOL again. My lawyer has tried to contact Fort Leonard Wood like 75 times - it's documented, 75 times - and tried to get in touch with the military. They've avoided this entire subject," Snyder said.

Mike Alley, a public affairs officer at Fort Leonard Wood, said Snyder never arrived at Fort Leonard Wood. He directed calls to the public affairs office at Fort Knox, where nobody answered the phone Friday.

Snyder said the military doesn't chase down people who are absent without leave.
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: He's AWOL (again/still) but he's not hiding.
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: He's AWOL (again/still) but he's not hiding.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
(NT) sooner or later these cowards get caught
by Mark5019 / November 24, 2006 1:13 PM PST
Collapse -
Not at all a coward, Mark.
by SE Moderators / November 25, 2006 2:54 AM PST

You and most here don't agree with him, but he clearly has the courage of his convictions. And the country could do a lot worse than have him serve out the rest of his agreed term helping to rebuild New Orleans, as has been promised but not fully delivered. That's certainly a much more productive use of his time for all concerned than having him make big rocks into little rocks, as is suggested further down the thread. Furthermore, if you folks don't think building houses in the heat and humidity of a New Orleans summer (down the line timewise, obviously) counts as "hard labor," then you aren't familiar with the Gulf Coast!

-- Dave K, Speakeasy Moderator
click here to email semods4@yahoo.com

The opinions expressed above are my own,
and do not necessarily reflect those of CNET or the other SE Mods.

Collapse -
All true, but ...
by Bill Osler / November 25, 2006 3:22 AM PST

Assuming that the refusal to return to Iraq is a form of conscience-driven civil disobedience (the most charitable interpretation of his actions) the refusal is still a criminal act. It may also be a courageous and honorable act, depending on circumstance.

Still, whether he is courageous or honorable (or not) is hardly the main point. He is violating the law. I'm not sure it is wise to start letting criminals choose their own sentences.

Collapse -
At least he's a quitter, and self-absorbed.
by Angeline Booher / November 25, 2006 3:38 AM PST

He didn't even finish the Katrina rebuilding job.

Through the entire events he has behaved without regard for keeping his commitments. IMO, the Army has bent over backwards to accommodate him, which he shuns,

I see no matter of conscience here. He didn't want to return to Iraq, he didn't want to finish his Katrina work, he didn't want to report to the Army. He even disregarded his lawyer's advice. He is a person who does what he wants to do when he wants to do it. The world revolves around him.

Angeline
Speakeasy Moderator
click here to email
semods4@yahoo.com

Collapse -
I somehow missed that he didn't finish the
by SE Moderators / November 25, 2006 12:27 PM PST

Katrina work, Angeline -- that makes a big difference to the last half of my post...

-- Dave K, Speakeasy Moderator
click here to email semods4@yahoo.com

The opinions expressed above are my own,
and do not necessarily reflect those of CNET or the other SE Mods.

Collapse -
but unfortuneatly dk
by Mark5019 / November 26, 2006 4:11 AM PST

when you volunter to join the service you cant oick and choose where and what you will do or not.
mans a coward i wouldnt have him break rocks id exicute him but thats just me a vet who didnt run away

Collapse -
How many years were you on the front lines?
by Diana Forum moderator / November 26, 2006 6:17 AM PST
In reply to: but unfortuneatly dk

No slam - just curious. This kid served a year and thought it was over. Many people are upset with the back-door draft.

Diana

Collapse -
Not Mark, But...........
by Glenda / November 26, 2006 6:39 AM PST

He served two terms VN

Collapse -
That had to be hell on wheels
by Diana Forum moderator / November 26, 2006 6:49 AM PST

I knew a lot of guys that went and came back from VietNam.

My cousin also served two tours there. I remember him saying that he would wake up in the middle of the night and head for the ditches. It happened often enough that there would be incoming after he woke up (he was a real sleeper) that he didn't question it.

Another friend got a creepy feeling while he was on patrol and told his commander that he wanted to go back and was told that the only way he was leaving was without his helmet and gun. He left and his whole platoon was wiped out.

Diana

Collapse -
and i had and have nightmares
by Mark5019 / November 26, 2006 9:38 AM PST

but i didnt run.

Collapse -
i did 2 tours of 1 yrear each
by Mark5019 / November 26, 2006 9:36 AM PST

and when i voluntereed to join up i didnt say id go here or there.
when you join you go where ordered.
not like some think you can choose.
mans a coward

Collapse -
reply to: Not
by caktus / November 28, 2006 5:44 PM PST

Where was the "courage of his convictions"
When he swore an oath to serve?

Where was the "courage of his convictions" the first time he was ordered to Iraq?

Why did he suddenly duck out on his Oath to serve?

Why would he cause an other comrade to have to serve in [his] place?

Coward? Sure sounds like it.

Collapse -
another pov from one who served in iraq
by WOODS-HICK / November 24, 2006 8:35 PM PST
Collapse -
reply to: another
by caktus / November 28, 2006 5:50 PM PST

So, now their trying to legislate from [beyond] the bench.

Collapse -
(NT) Send him to Levenworth
by C1ay / November 24, 2006 10:59 PM PST
Collapse -
hey, jp
by WOODS-HICK / November 27, 2006 6:23 AM PST

I thought the following is quite funny. I was talking about this pfc and my friend says:

"why don't cic daughters or george P bush(jeb's son) take the private's place?"

why isn't that the most absurd idea? I am still rolling.

Collapse -
why should this coward
by Mark5019 / November 27, 2006 11:49 AM PST
In reply to: hey, jp

rate special privileges?
he should be in levenworth nort in no helpping the lazy

Collapse -
Re: he should be in levenworth
by JP Bill / November 27, 2006 12:10 PM PST
In reply to: why should this coward

He should go to jail for breach of contract?

Do civilians go to jail for breach of contract?

Collapse -
but jp hes not a civillian
by Mark5019 / November 27, 2006 12:17 PM PST

hes a soldier and thats where you forget hes awol and a coward

Collapse -
Re: he's not a civilian
by JP Bill / November 27, 2006 12:42 PM PST

He was a civilian that signed a contract, and became a soldier.

A soldier is a person, a civilian is a person.

A person that is a civilian doesn't go to jail when they breach a contract, why should a soldier?

Isn't that what a person does when they go awol?

Not show up for work? They are not fulfilling their contract to complete the job?

Collapse -
You're not familiar with the UCMJ huh?
by C1ay / November 28, 2006 12:42 AM PST

He's not a civilian, he's in the military UNTIL DISCHARGED. The UCMJ applies which means it's up to the military, not civilian law. He belongs in Levenworth for his dereliction of duty. IMO he is more than AWOL, he is a deserter since he has no intent of returning and should be punished accordingly.

Collapse -
Re: He's in the military, he's not a civilian
by JP Bill / November 28, 2006 12:51 AM PST

Right, I agree.

Do you agree he signed a contract when he joined the military?

Collapse -
Irrelevant
by C1ay / November 28, 2006 1:24 AM PST

Contract law does not apply, military law does, He's a deserter.

Collapse -
Re: Contract law does not apply,
by JP Bill / November 28, 2006 2:34 AM PST
In reply to: Irrelevant
Collapse -
That's a discharge code....
by C1ay / November 28, 2006 4:24 AM PST

not a legal action. There is no "Breach of Contract" article in the UCMJ like there is for Desertion,

Collapse -
Obviously he signed a contract ...
by Bill Osler / November 28, 2006 1:27 AM PST

It isn't unusual for contracts to include language regarding legal questions related to subsequent enforcement actions. The contract he signed included provisions that took enforcement of the contract out of the US civilian legal system and put it in the military legal system. IOW, he voluntarily signed some of his rights away. Breach of that particular contract is sometimes punishable by imprisonment or worse. If he didn't like the terms of the contract he shouldn't have joined.

I have some sympathy for folks who fought against the rules during compulsory military service, but this guy volunteered. He's pretty much stuck with the consequences of his actions.

Collapse -
Speaking of "consequences"....
by caktus / November 29, 2006 3:00 AM PST

I wonder who his replacement is, or was(?).

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?