TVs & Home Theaters forum

General discussion

HDTV without HD signal - need help

I am looking to purchase a big screen HDTV. I am living in the Philippines and the TV signal that is available and what I subscribe to is digital (Sky Cable). My question is, is there any way to improve the signal and what would be the best TV to purchase? LCD or Plasma.
Thanks for your help and comments

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: HDTV without HD signal - need help
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: HDTV without HD signal - need help
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -

In reply to: HDTV without HD signal - need help

Plasma's will do a better job at none HD sources then LCD's. Whatever you get, LCD or Plasma, get a brand name, they will produce a much better None HD image & also have more things to tweek too get a better image.

Collapse -
another quick question

In reply to: .....

Thanks for your answer and help. Do you think I am better sticking to my 38" sony CRT. It does give a good picture.

regards, Tim

Collapse -

In reply to: another quick question

that is a BIG CRT, what does it weight???? 300 pounds???

If you injoy movies & have a large dvd collection &/or sit far back like over 12ft or have 'lots' of people over to watch tv. Yes, with a 'good' upscaling dvd player to go with that new tv, if you don't already have one now. And go bigger, 46"+ depending on how far you sit from the tv.

But for now you tv is working fine (?), wait for a good sale, figer out what your going to do with that monster CRT & how too move it. Around the new years is a good time to buy a new tv, all the models are out, most will have been reviewed & most will be onsale

Collapse -
CRT/HDTV/Plasma vs. LCD

In reply to: .....

Thanks for the reply. Yes, the CRT is heavy. We purchased in Jakarta 7 years ago. It takes a couple of guy?s to lift it. I actually had a stand built specifically for it and much to my wife dismay as it has industrial strength wheels and is the centerpiece in our living room. It cost around 3K at the time while plasmas were costing 10K. It still has a very sharp picture but my wife has been talking about a bigger screen TV since we have move to Manila. Perhaps her motive maybe the stand! Anyway, thanks for your help. I am in the US this week and will check with the airlines to see if I can ship a Plasma as excess baggage. Were considering the Samsung 750 plasma as the same TV cost around 10K in the Philippines. Crazy prices for appliances in Asia.

Regards, Tim

Collapse -
one thing you will have to get

In reply to: CRT/HDTV/Plasma vs. LCD

is a 'step down power (volt) converter' since US electronics are made to run on 120v/60hz, the Philippines is 220v/60hz, you don't want to fry the TV on the 1st day. Since the hz is the same that will make it easier & cheaper for you.
Just goto a GOOD electrics hardware store in the Philippines & tell them what you need... too down convert the 220volts/60hz to 120volts/60hz, it will proply cost $100 or if you know what your doing & can get the parts make one your self

http://www.kropla.com/electric2.htm

Collapse -
HDTV w/out HD signal

In reply to: HDTV without HD signal - need help

Regardless of any HDTV you will not truly appreciate it because there is still no hd signal. there might me a very slight improvement. Now if you have a blu ray player then dvd movies will look better. I am also waiting for hd signal in the Philippines.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.