TVs & Home Theaters forum

General discussion

HDTV with the best standard def. picture quality?

anyone know of an LCD or Plasma that will deliver goood-to-excellent standard def picture quality?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: HDTV with the best standard def. picture quality?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: HDTV with the best standard def. picture quality?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
HDTV with Standard tv

In reply to: HDTV with the best standard def. picture quality?

I'll tell you what you DON'T WANT. Sharp AQUOS- Outstanding Hi Definition - embarrasing Standard Definition ! Figure that out.

Collapse -
Excellent but not easy question. Professional reviews

should make that ability a prominent part of the review. Standard definition program sources will continue to be around - think about reruns forever.

Read all the reviews you can on sets you may consider. Read here, too.

The Sony brand is often recommended here for that very ability. Specifically as to the rear projection SXRDs, I believe. Hopefully folks will notice & post with lots of good info.

Collapse -
LOOK AT SOME PANASONIC PLASMAS.............

YOU DON'T MENTION SIZE....... I'M Guessing 42" or 50" sets.

TH-xxPX75U / TH-xxPX77U.

River.

Collapse -
a smaller size

In reply to: LOOK AT SOME PANASONIC PLASMAS.............

can anyone recommend a television for the same thing, a hdtv with a good standard definition image, in the more 26 to 32 inch range?

Collapse -

Check this out:
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=8346685&st=westinghouse&lp=1&type=product&cp=1&id=1175902657231
Westinghouse Tx-47 (there s also a 42 inch model)
The SD quality is very good and the HD picture is awesome. Is it as good as a $3000 plus Sony, Samsung or Sharp, probably not but I don't see a $1300 difference. Check out the thread on AVS forum for mor info on this set.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=8346685&st=westinghouse&lp=1&type=product&cp=1&id=1175902657231

Collapse -
HOW LONG DO YOU THINK IT WILL LAST???

In reply to: .

WESTINGHOUSE IS NOT EVEN ON THE MAYBE LIST!!!
FLUSHABLE MONEY, I GUESS.

river.

Collapse -
Gotta agree with riverledge. Westinghouse is nowadays a

nothing brand. There is more security for those determined to get into HDTV on a tight budget, to go with perhpas the Vizios that are sold at places like Sam's Club & Costco at darn competitive prices. Vizio has had better & more frequent recommendations here.

Collapse -

In reply to: Gotta agree with riverledge. Westinghouse is nowadays a

Will the pioneer plasma's (4280HD,4270HD,5080HD) deliver good standard def picture quality? I really like those.

Collapse -
I am a manager at Best Buy in NY

And I can tell you first hand that the Pioneer PDP series plasmas do better than any other tele in the store in Standard Def., including the Panasonic 700 and 750 series (which perform similar to the 600 series). And I will tell you they are also the only tele in our store assembled (and for that matter, made) in the US using parts made in the US and Japan. As close as you can get to a Patriots tele. But the Pioneer's standard def looks like LG and Westinghouse's high def look bad (which for High def it already is, but nonetheless, it's still high def). It's all about the processing. I still call BluRay "BlurRay", because My standard Classe DVD player can still do better (don't get me wrong, BD players are/will be great, but my player is better right now for picture and sound). This is the same deal with Pioneer, it makes some high def content on other teles look like its standard def content.

Collapse -
interesting

In reply to: I am a manager at Best Buy in NY

That is very interesting. Pioneer is very top of the line.

Collapse -
Vizios are a good buy

In reply to: Gotta agree with riverledge. Westinghouse is nowadays a

I bought a 1080p 42" LCD Vizio at Costco for only $999.99, and I have to admit it has a pretty good picture. Since it is only for my bedroom, I didn't want to drop a lot of money on the set. The standard def picture is really nice quality, much better than I ever thought it would be. For the main TV, I'm getting the Pioneer 5080, but I have to admit that for a second TV, or for someone on a budget, that Vizio is a great buy. And it comes with a two year in home warranty from Costco for free.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

DEALS, DEALS, DEALS!

Best Black Friday Deals

CNET editors are busy culling the list and highlighting what we think are the best deals out there this holiday season.