TVs & Home Theaters forum

General discussion

HDTV with black bars top and botom

by jwarf1 / March 5, 2004 7:15 AM PST

I have a Samsung TXN3098WHF, my HD signal seems to be coming in fine, but in wide mode there are black bars on the top and bottom of the screen. Samsung says that the HD signal varies and will not always have a full screen picture. How can you have a HD picture with black bars? Anyone else have this problem? Thanks for the help.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: HDTV with black bars top and botom
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: HDTV with black bars top and botom
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
re black bars
by acebreathe / March 5, 2005 3:14 PM PST

i have a different model samsung that does the same thing. actually it is not a problem. hdtv is broadcast in 16x9 aspect ratio. what you are seeing is letterboxing. widescreen sets can adjust some programs so that they fit the screen without the bars. however some programs are broadcast in their origianl aspect ratio, commonly refered to as oar, and in those instances you will see black bars to maintain the original ratio.

Collapse -
its also a rule of thumb
by Blackheartx / June 28, 2005 3:09 PM PDT

when getting a hdtv set since most chanels would brodcast in widescreen, to get a widescreen hdtv set

Collapse -
Black Bars: Pain in the Aspect Ratio
by arizcale / June 11, 2007 5:27 AM PDT
Collapse -
My Samsung HDTV shows top and bottom bars..
by williamsaenz / July 10, 2009 11:24 PM PDT

I bought a HDTV and a blu ray both samsung and i spected when watching a widescreen movie i won't see the top and bottom bars tha appear in a non widescreen tv.... the salesperson at bestbuy says that the tv should display the movie without bars... it's suposed to fill the whole screen but even when i set the blu ray player to 16:9 and the tv to 16:9 it just look like a 32" when it's a 46" Please what could be the problem ???? Please help....
the only way that i can see the movies in the full screen is when the player has zoom settings but not all the blu ray players have tha feature... my old dvd player has zoom and combined with the tv zoom can get a decent full display but again.... IT'S NOT SUPOSED TO BE A FULL DISPLAY WHEN YOU WHATCH A WIDESCREEN MOVIE IN A WIDESCREEN MODE ON A BLU RAY... ON A WIDESCREEN HDTV??????? PLEASE???

Collapse -
And yet, another link to help explain...
by Dan Filice / July 11, 2009 1:38 AM PDT
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?