TVs & Home Theaters forum

General discussion

HDTV video noise. Why does HD video contain noise?

I am just curious...can anyone out there explain to me how an HD picture can contain video noise? I thought that HD is digital which means it is essentially 0s and 1s. Coming from that logic the HD broadcast should be perfect every time, unless there is actually signal interruption.

Yet on my XBR4 LCD TV there is quite often noise present in the HD broadcast and when I enable noise reduction, it ussually cleans up the image really nicely, but I don't understand why and how there is noise in a first place in a digital signal?

Also, on my 1080P upconverting DVD player, when I play DVDs there is also an amount of noise in the picture that is cleaned up by my TVs noise reduction. It's connected through HDMI so once again...how does a digital signal contain noise?

My only guess is that the noise is present in the material itself, meaning it is part of the original piture on HD broadcasts, although I am still not sure about DVDs.

If someone is technical enough to explain it to me, I'd appriciate it. I was unable to find anything useful when Googling on the subject.

Thanks!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: HDTV video noise. Why does HD video contain noise?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: HDTV video noise. Why does HD video contain noise?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Look at the source material.

In reply to: HDTV video noise. Why does HD video contain noise?

Most content is not digital but being pulled from film. It is entirely possible for there to be noise.

Bob

Collapse -
I'm no technophile, but am under the impression that

imperfect interpretation of a digital data stream that often does contain some missing information, goes through internal siganl processing which may misinterpret some info & introduce its own incorrect modification/interpretation. Net result: visible video noise on the screen.

The short message: digital isn't necessarily perfect.

Collapse -
most niose in the picture is caused by the TV.

In most cases TV's cause most of the niose internally, with all the over processing the TV does for sharpness and edge enhancments.

Try turning the sharpness all the way down to 0 and turning any auto edge enhancments or color correction off, and you may try turning the contrast down also, all TV's are pushed so hard in brightness for the sales floor they cant do it cleanly aka stablelity, its like trying to get your car to idle smooth while the RPM's are in the red line.

hope this helps
good luck
gabe

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.