Attention: The forums will be placed on read only mode this Saturday (Oct. 20, 2018)

During this outage (6:30 AM to 8 PM PDT) the forums will be placed on read only mode. We apologize for this inconvenience. Click here to read details

TVs & Home Theaters forum

General discussion

HDTV Tuners + regular cable.

by TomNee / November 19, 2005 3:17 AM PST

I live in an area where I can receive reasonably good analog television reception with a rooftop antenna. I also have regular cable and do not want to lock myself into either a Dish contract or Digital cable. I can juggle between the antenna and cable feeds with an a/b switch and have one coaxial input into my current analog TV.

I understand that HDTV content is still somewhat sparse but is available for Baseball games and Monday football. Many of those programs would be available over the antenna.

We were looking at getting a Samsung HD Tuner S451 first and then upgrading to a good monitor once the prices come down some more.

My concern is that if we buy a tuner we would not be able to still view regular cable programs, of course still in analog standard, and only be able to watch the over the air digital channels. When we ask the big box store salesman, they all tell us that there are no tuners which would allow for reception of analog cable programs. I understand that I need a digital cable tuner for cable HDTV programs. I just don't want to loose the ability to watch the analog, regular cable programs.

I am not sure whether the tuners will only allow for over the air digital tv or whether the big box stores, which are pushing cable companies or dish networks, have a conflict of interest.

Do some HD tuners allow one to view analog cable on a HD monitor and others not?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: HDTV Tuners + regular cable.
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: HDTV Tuners + regular cable.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Let put it this way...
by Art / November 19, 2005 5:03 PM PST

A friend of mine has HD cable. He is able to get HD channels and regular channels. I don't know what form the regular programing comes in (but do we really care?) as long as we can see it.

Collapse -
um
by masterying01 / November 19, 2005 5:14 PM PST

if you're going to wait until the prices drop down..then here is a few suggestions

1.) most new tv's will already have a built in HD tuner that is able to pull in both digital AND analog signal off the air. there is actually very little, if not...no difference in the price of tv's that have and dont have hd tuners so u dont need the samsung hd tuner.

2.) most hd tv's with hd tuners built in will have a dedicated line for NTSC/ATSC tuner, and a seperate tuner for cable so you dont have to worry about that either. you can switch over accordingly.

bottomline, with the amount of tv's out there right now that comes with hd tuners in them...and with the prices so low...you really dont need to shell out extra money for an ATSC tuner.

Collapse -
Why waste money on a over the air tuner?
by stewart norrie / November 21, 2005 8:27 AM PST

I have the Dish 811 hi-def sat system And its awsome I pay $45.00 per month for basic.hi-def ackage, and voom. It also has an awsome over the air hi-def tuner I receive 19 local digital channels 9 of which are in hi-def, I use the d.v.i. output to the t.v. and optical audio out for my 5.1 sound and the picture and sound are beyond belief

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!