TVs & Home Theaters forum

General discussion

HDTV Test DVDs

by Donaldsc / January 24, 2006 3:15 AM PST

I am looking to buy my first HDTV. I am leaning to a DLP set.

I want to bring some of my own DVDs into the dealers so that I can control the demos and also so that the comparisons between sets are meaningful.

Any suggestions as to what to use and specifically what part of the recommended DVDs would be appreciated.

DON

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: HDTV Test DVDs
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: HDTV Test DVDs
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
No DVD suggestions, but
by Dan Filice / January 24, 2006 4:13 AM PST
In reply to: HDTV Test DVDs

The DVD player has a lot to do with what you will see on the TV. Make sure that the store has the player connected via component. Just for giggles, try to get your hands on a DVD that has 4:3 material (a lot of TV show DVDs do) and compare the "stretch" modes of each set for 4:3 material. Some sets do a terrible job on the strech modes. Also, these are some of my pet peeves on various sets, so they are worth comparing: Try the remote to see how the TV changes between the various Inputs. Some sets force you to keep pressing the Input button to get from one input to the next. Some allow you to press the Input button once to see all Input options, then go directly to the one you want. Also, if the store has a cable connected to the TV, compare how long it takes to change channels. Some sets are quicker than others. Of course, if you will be using a cable or satellite box to change channels, skip this test. Also check each set to see if it allows you to change the luminence level of the display. This would be separate from the "Brightness" control and the "Color Temperature" setting. Some sets, like Sony LCD sets, have a button on the remote called "Display" that allows you to switch from "Vivid" to "Normal" to "Pro" to "Off" settings, each controlling the overall brightness. The lower the brightness the longer the bulb will last. The "Off" setting is cool since if you have digital cable or satellite and get the Music stations, you can turn off the TV display while listening to the music through the TV speakers.

Collapse -
IF YOU CAN ............
by BONSPEED / January 24, 2006 4:17 AM PST

........ TRY THE FIFTH ELEMENT, REVENGE OF THE SITH (ANYTHING FROM LUCAS) OR EVEN A CALIBRATION DVD LIKE "AVIA."

Collapse -
careful
by masterying01 / January 24, 2006 9:25 AM PST

dvd's are NOT in HD so you can't really test out HD via dvd's as of right now. most stores will be able to hook up an actual HD source one way or another into any HD tv. ask them kindly for it if it isnt already hooked up to an HD source.

if they dont know how to do it, talk to someone else. if they refuse, go to another store. if the picture isnt hd (and you can easily tell)...and they lie to you saying it is hd, go to another store. what you can do is get an antenna and try to pick up actual HD material with tv's with built in tuners...other then that...dvd's would work..but it wont be true hd.

Collapse -
Picture Quality
by Donaldsc / January 24, 2006 12:25 PM PST
In reply to: careful

I did not realize that DVDs were not HD. They should be useful to check on blackness detail, contrast ratios, and other picture issues. however.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!