TVs & Home Theaters forum

General discussion

HDTV search - Plasma or SXRD

I am trying to choose between Pioneer's PDP-5070HD 50-inch plasma (720)and the Sony KDS-55A2000 55 Inch Grand Wega SXRD which has 1080p. I like to plasma but am I giving up something with only 720?
Do to my room size I don't want to go any bigger than 55.
Will I regret not getting the 1080p in a few years? I really don't want to spend more than these two cost. I'll be getting a Blue-ray or equivilent in a year or so.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: HDTV search - Plasma or SXRD
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: HDTV search - Plasma or SXRD
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
GT SONY 1080I A MUST

In reply to: HDTV search - Plasma or SXRD

Once you hook up a hi-def cable or satellite system You are going to be blown away. And as far as BLUE RAY goes I just bought the Sony and talk about 70m.m. film quality your goiong to love it. Make sure you hook up everything with h.d.m.i. cables then spend your life savings on a snack bar and 5.1. sound. Then when friends come by you can charge money to watch your home theater ha ha steweee

Collapse -
Plasma vs SXRD

Both are great sets, but you may have answered your own question when you said "I'll be getting a Blu-Ray player..." If you get a 720p set and hook up a 1080p player, would you be asking yourself "I wonder if the picture would be any better if I had purchased that 1080p set?" From the reviews I've read, the plasmas have slightly better blacks, but the SXRD is no slouch and seems to have one of the best black levels for any LCD TV. Both have received very positive reviews here.

Collapse -
SORRY TO BE PICKY, BUT THE SONY SXRD IS NOT A LCD, RATHER...

In reply to: Plasma vs SXRD

IT'S A LCoS BASED SET; not unlike JVC's D-ILA models.

The SONY SXRD HD-TVs are quite excellent.

Best shopping,

river.

Collapse -
SXRD

In reply to: SORRY TO BE PICKY, BUT THE SONY SXRD IS NOT A LCD, RATHER...

Riverledge,

Your right about the SXRD not being LCD. I just see the SXRD sets lumped into "LCD" TV reviews and I've seen them listed under "Rear Projection LCD", so I just didn't bother separating the truth. Do all Sony SXRD utilize three display panels? I thought I read this on the Sony site.

Collapse -
YES, BUT SONY CALLS THEM 3 SXRD-CHIPS

In reply to: SXRD

river.

Collapse -
SXRD. . .

I own that Sony. I used to sell them all and when I bought I could have bought anything. But the Sony in HD looks like film. Since 96% of all programming in SD, the Sony beats them all also. No mosquito noise, no screen door effect. Here is a review from Sound and Vision Mag. It's on the 60" but you'll get the picture (pun intended):

http://www.soundandvisionmag.com/hdtvs/1767/sony-kds-60a2000-60-inch-sxrd-hdtv.html

Collapse -
go with the sony

i own the sony that you are interested in buying and i can't say enough about it. the pictures in HD are amazing! even the pictures in standard definition look great. it is easy to set-up and easier to use; the menues are very easy to navigate. it has none of the drawbacks of plasma, lcd or dlp. the biggest drawback is that the lamp requires replacement in a couple of years but some people prefer to get that covered by buying a protection plan. in short, i'm very satisfied with my purchase.

Collapse -
It All Depends

In reply to: go with the sony

One thing you should consider in your search is if you want to wall mount the set or leave it on a stand, You cannot wall mount the SXRD whereas you can with the Pioneer. Wall mounting looks cool plus you may save yourself some space. I actually was considering the 50 inch SXRD and a NEC plasma, and I went with the plasma because of no bulb replacement needed better pq and blacks, better side viewing as far as distortion and brightness goes, and a 3 year in home warranty from NEC. However, the SXRD did give an excellent picture viewed straight on. I didn't figure 1080p would give me any better picture than 1080i or 720p, because I read that on a 50 inch set your eyes can only pick out the difference on 1080p if you sit closer than 6 feet, and who would sit closer than 6 feet away with a 50 inch set? I am sure that a blu ray player would give you a great picture at 1080i or 720p on the plasma, and if you are sitting further than 6 feet away you won't see the missing detail anyways. Also, check out the cost of the replacement bulbs before you make you decision, and see if you can view the two sets side by side. Good luck!

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

REVIEW

Sublime suburban chariot

High on style and technology, the 2019 Volvo XC90 is an incredibly satisfying everyday crossover.