Attention: The forums are currently placed on Read Only.

Thank you for visiting the CNET forums. Our site is currently undergoing some maintenance. During this period (6:30 AM to 8 PM PDT,) you can read the forums content, however posting in the forum will not be available. We apologize for this inconvenience. Click here to read details

TVs & Home Theaters forum

General discussion

HDTV's with families in mind

by clayw1pi / May 16, 2006 9:25 AM PDT

My wife and I are considering replacing our dated 36'' CRT with an HDTV. Plasma, projection, DLP, LCD... it makes no real difference to us. My biggest concern is that we have 3 small children, and I dread investing $3k into a TV just to see it ruined by curious fingers or a stray toy.

Our living room could support anything from a 32'' up to maybe a 48'' without being over-large. We have a 36'' RCA right now, and it seems sufficiently big, but it's not widescreen.

We have digital cable, TiVo, and watch a lot of DVD movies. Naturally, we've got a 5.1 audio setup.

Any suggestions from you videophiles out there who can help a young family by recommending a good, sturdy HDTV? I'm contemplating Sony's KD-34XBR970 (it's the biggest widescreen tube HDTV I could find), but didn't know if we'd be "safe" with a projection or DLP?

Discussion is locked
Collapse -
Two choices, plastic or glass. . .
by Coryphaeus / May 16, 2006 9:55 AM PDT

LCDs and rear projection have an acrylic (plastic) face, plasma has tempered glass like a CRT TV.

Collapse -
GLASS LCD's.............
by Riverledge / May 16, 2006 12:49 PM PDT

CORNING Glass Works is manufacturing glass for SHARP LCD.

Collapse -
the 34xbr is very safe
by gabereyes / May 16, 2006 2:11 PM PDT

I cant move mine, so I dont think your kids could move it, but I would buy some of the rubber stuff you put in a tool box i dont know what its called but any thing so they cant slide the TV off the stand.

Plasma would be a good option too, but if you do plasma you can get a tv stand that has a backboard that the plasma mounts to so they cant push or pull it over.

good luck.

Collapse -
THE SONY KD-34XS955 IS STILL AVAILABLE, DON'T BUY .......
by Riverledge / May 17, 2006 3:53 PM PDT
In reply to: the 34xbr is very safe

XBR970 !!! This is one to take my word on. A big Sony disappointment!!! The XS955 is the same as the XBR960 minus a handful of options(still available.)

THE PANASONIC TH-50PX60, also.

REMEMBER any set with glass-front will always be front heavy!

As mentioned before, CRT's need the best support.
Seems your kids are pretty careful.

Collapse -
Only one thing River....
by kena10 / May 17, 2006 3:55 PM PDT

The picture quality on the SX series is not the same as the XBR. Trust me on this.

Collapse -
Some factors
by steve.trelease / May 16, 2006 3:39 PM PDT

Our kids are older, but the accidental breakage scenario has crossed my mind, too. You might consider plasma sets simply for the fact that they can be mounted high on the wall. Of course, your CRT has survived thus far!

An aside concerning size - since you are replacing a 36" 4:3 screen, a 44" 16:9 display would give you an identical vertical dimension (21.6"). The net result would be like adding 5" to either side of your existing screen.

I used some of the stock formulae (e.g. 2.5 times the diagonal dimension) to determine the appropriate size for our room, and found it pointed to something between 42" and 50". The final decision came after I cut out a paper template and hung it on the wall (we were sold on plasma) behind our existing CRT set. This gave us a good comparison point with the TV was on, and sealed the deal for a 50-incher.

Collapse -
Decisions Decisions...
by kena10 / May 17, 2006 4:00 PM PDT

My vote would be for the CRT. Go with the XBR but make sure you get the stand for it. The reason why is because the stand is made for the tv and it "nestles" the tv, meaning that the tv actually sits into the stand, not on it, allowing it to slide around. Keep in mind that it is going to be about 200+ lbs, so your kids won't be able to even push it. The downside is that anytime you're going to need to move it, you're going to need about 5 ppl.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!