HolidayBuyer's Guide

TVs & Home Theaters forum

General discussion

HDTV question!

by filauc / October 9, 2007 11:20 AM PDT

Hi guys,

I wanted to buy a Sony KDL-40XBR3 1080p 40" BRAVIA XBR High-Definition LCD TV, but I don't have enough money.

Which HDTV 40'' can I have for about 2200$(As good as the KDL-40XBR3)?

Thank you

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: HDTV question!
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: HDTV question!
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Though not your (fine) Sony, if you have an open mind, there
by NM_Bill / October 9, 2007 3:28 PM PDT
In reply to: HDTV question!

are lots of attractive offers out there. You're not me, but I am not locked into 1080p. I've noticed tempting prices on last years models of 720s from Pioneer & Panasonic for instance. And I would very satisfied with their picture quality.

This from someone who has had XBRs over the years. Yes, the industry is now focusing in on promoting LCDs big time. I've not been inclined to want an LCD for my primary set, but have seen plenty of LCDs on display that appear just fine as to picture. Sorry this is so general...

Collapse -
Better?
by filauc / October 10, 2007 6:25 AM PDT

If I say for gaming, is it better? ^^

Collapse -
Are you locked in on a flat panel?
by Coryphaeus / October 10, 2007 8:24 AM PDT

You can get the sony SXRD (1080P) for well under your budget. And the pixel response of this display is faster than any LDC flat panel. You can get more bang for the buck with a rear projection.

Collapse -
Good choice?
by filauc / October 10, 2007 11:42 AM PDT

Sony KDS-60A2020 would be a good choice?

Collapse -
Agree with coryphaeus. SXRD is not dead yet by a long shot.
by NM_Bill / October 10, 2007 2:04 PM PDT
In reply to: Good choice?

The KDS-60A2020 is solid. Not state of the art, but a fine package. Sony quality internal processing. Rear projection is not the maker's focus now, but can still be a cost advantage into the game.

Yes, not a glamorous a decorating concept as hanging a flat screen on the wall, but that is irrelevant to many of us. Likewise, less of a potential viewing angle is true, but often a non-issue for most folks practical needs.

As a DLP owner I acknowledge its disadvantage in bright light situations. Rather than developing anxiety about state of the art, I advocate not overbuying. There is a lot of legitimate enjoyment out there to be had. I wouldn't be locked into just one option.

Collapse -
?
by filauc / October 11, 2007 6:26 AM PDT

What else then?

Collapse -
I wanted an SXRD so bad, but lamp life worries me
by legendbyname / October 11, 2007 7:07 AM PDT

I was seriously considering the A3000 SXRD model but the lamp life really scares me. In terms of size, RPTV is definitely the best bang for your buck. PQ is incredible, response time is great, and have some of the most realistic colors and deep blacks.

I was 99% percent sure about getting one, but I realized the cost of bulb replacement is kind of ridiculous. I think i would be too worried about it not getting enough ventilation, keeping it on for too long, or turning it off and on too many times per day. I just have a problem with being too careful with my electronics, and I feel like the 6000 estimated bulb life really keeps me from purchasing it. Besides that, These sets are incredible.

i'm currently considering either the Sony KDS-50A3000 or the Samsung LN-T4665F. Both are around the same price. I'd be sacrificing 4 inches and better PQ for longer life with much less maintenance. This is too difficult heh.

Collapse -
looks good
by filauc / October 11, 2007 12:00 PM PDT

The Samsung LN-T4665F looks good.

Collapse -
Sometimes people worry about things misrepresented or
by NM_Bill / October 11, 2007 12:51 PM PDT

misunderstood. My DLP is 4 years old with the original lamp. I figure around 4000 hours use timer on that bulb that is priced at $189. Fits into my expectations. I knew I was getting into big screen at a discount by going the rear projection route. Sure it's not a bright as new. Quite noticeable during bright daylight conditions, but no problem at all during primary viewing time in the evening. Some others would have replaced by now, I haven't.

Just saying don't rule out options for no good reason.

Collapse -
no misrepresentation
by legendbyname / October 11, 2007 3:35 PM PDT

I understand all of that, as well as the fact that LCD and plasma backlights degrade over time. Slower yes, but they still lose brightness over time. But the 60,000 vs 6,000 really kinda makes it a deal breaker for me. I'm just going to wait a month or so and see what happens with prices.

It's hard to explain, but I don't think i will enjoy it as much worrying about the lamp life and usage patterns in my household. I don't want to have to worry about it as much, $250 for a lamp is way too much money. I haven't made my choice yet however, motion blur is more important to me than lamp life, and thats why i haven't made a decision yet.

Are you saying you only have 4000 hours on your bulb on a Tv you've had for 4 years? If so, that is way below average viewing hours.

Collapse -
4000 hours is 4000 hours. I wanted to be conservative about
by NM_Bill / October 12, 2007 12:50 AM PDT
In reply to: no misrepresentation

the estimate. Come to think that it only amounts to 2.74 hours per day, that was woefully underestimated. Since we leave in on for consistency when running errands away from the doggies, & often for a sound level as this is a very quiet location - it must be at least double that. Point is, some have gotten the idea a lamp replacement is like an annual expense. Perhaps with front projection (& that is indeed an expensive area.)

I just have been posting recently to those who often are newbies & justifiably nervous at the prospects of spending so much money - that there are lots of decent sets out there & value is better than before. Personally, I sure advocate paying attention to things like good as opposed to poor reviews by folks like c/net. That leads me to favor name brands with consistently better than average track record.

I wouldn't get one of the of brands that will not have repairability & there definitely are some of those - beware. So, just address that motion blur concern of yours to your satisfaction. My older LCD has poorer specs than the newer ones & motion blur have not been any concern of mine, but then I am not a gamer. I keep repeating that many fine points sometimes argued about in forums like this turn out to be non-issues to most folks on a practical level.

Much enjoyment with what you do choose.

Collapse -
just got an RPTV heh...
by legendbyname / October 13, 2007 2:01 PM PDT

just ordered the Sony KDS-50A3000 tonight for $1599 with free shipping on Vanns.com. I was doing some research and theres a lot of ways to conserve the bulb life. Can't wait til its here.

Collapse -
As others have said...
by stuntman_mike / October 12, 2007 7:05 AM PDT

don't get caught up on 1080p. At 40" 1080p is all but useless unless you are going to be sitting right in front of your television.

If you want a TV that size then forget the 1080p and get a 720p equivalent model of the one you are looking at. I don't know what the SKU is for a comparable 720p Sony LCD, but they definitely make one.

If you don't mind bigger but you want to stay flat, I would again suggest that you forget the 1080p and get a 50" Panasonic 75U of 77U series, depending on whether you want the shiny or anti-glare screen. Both are in the $1500 range and both have very good PQ.

If you don't mind going even bigger than that, then I would again agree with other posters and suggest getting a 60" SXRD. Like Plasma, it has much better response time (important not just for gamers but also sports watchers) than LCD, and at that screen size you would be taking advantage of the benefits of 1080p.

There are other models out there also and ways to go. I just giving you a general outline for what your thinking should be like. Unless your getting at least a 50" screen, 1080p should not be a concern for you. Your spending extra money that is not necessary.

Think about the size of the screen that you want first and everything else will fall into place. To me this should be at the top of your list. You should be able to find a very good TV at the screen size that want, to fit into your $2200 budget. That is, if you don't get hung up on display technology, flat versus fat, or 1080p. I know a lot of people don't want an RPTV because they view that as old school. But you might be much more disappointed if you went with a 40" 1080p LCD because it was flat and new age than if you got your money's worth and got a 60-70" RPTV for the same price. All of these TVs will be antiquated in the near future anyway lol.

Good luck

Collapse -
Correction...
by stuntman_mike / October 12, 2007 7:10 AM PDT
In reply to: As others have said...

I said that you could get a 60-70" RPTV for the same price as the 40" 1080 LCD. That was a mistake. You could actually get the 60-70" RPTV CHEAPER than the 40" 1080p LCD.

Good Hunting

Collapse -
lol
by filauc / October 12, 2007 12:30 PM PDT
In reply to: Correction...

I don't even know what is 1080p lol I just want a good HDTV, 50" or more.

Collapse -
1080p not an issue - Great. Though makers are now pushing
by NM_Bill / October 12, 2007 2:49 PM PDT
In reply to: lol

it, 720p is so much better than standard def that it's not even that noticeable. No reason to spend money for the sake of spending money.

I'm the type inclined to take a good look at the solid, well received & well reviewed last model year sets at really advantageous price. The inside track I'd take now is hunting down last years model Pioneers or Panasonics. Even with pricing sometimes half what it was originally introduced at, you probably can't swing one of the Pioneers. Not to feel bad, I could live with a Panasonic plasma very easily.

Please take time if necessary to gather a bit more buying power, rather than go for poorly reviewed brand models or off brand. Yes, Vizio has been aggressive for the budget buyer. They look good to me walking past them at Sam's Club or Costco. But I would avoid the dross of things like Westinghouse & those real no-names at places like WalMart.

Collapse -
by filauc / October 13, 2007 3:16 AM PDT

So I should take a panasonic or a pioneer?

Collapse -
Go take a good look at them in person.
by NM_Bill / October 13, 2007 3:41 AM PDT
In reply to: .

Last years Pioneers will be fewer & farther between & probably more expensive. ((But how I love their picture quality.)

Panasonic will probably be what is available. Not that they are to sneeze at either. Pio is just a more premium item.

Up to you my good (man?)

Collapse -
Yeah man
by filauc / October 14, 2007 12:44 AM PDT

So hard to choose ^^

Collapse -
So...
by filauc / October 15, 2007 10:51 AM PDT
In reply to: Yeah man

So if I understand wll I should take a LCD pioneer or a panasonic 720p and I choose the size? But the thing is that I'm sure there is bad pionner and bad samsung TVs....

Collapse -
What can I say? Life has risks. Pioneer & Panny are among
by NM_Bill / October 15, 2007 11:06 AM PDT
In reply to: So...

the very best for quality.

Yeah, stuff happens. A neighbor retired & had done a good job preparing for it. He realized his income was to be more than he had thought - so he splurged on a Mercedes. Yep, he got one of the lemons.

We all have had occasion to be disappointed with something.

Collapse -
: S
by filauc / October 16, 2007 7:09 AM PDT

Looks like pionneer doesn't have LCD TVs and I saw somewhere that LCD TVs were better for gaming...

But for samsung there's the ln-t4642h

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

HOLIDAY GIFT GUIDE 2017

Cameras that make great holiday gifts

Let them start the new year with a step up in photo and video quality from a phone.