Samsung forum

General discussion

HDTV Picture Problem

by mdg003939 / October 10, 2009 1:40 AM PDT

Samsung DLP Model HLR5067WX, about 4 years old. Cable

Had a problem with the color wheel about 4 months ago. I changed it and put in a new lamp, all was good again.

Now I am having a different problem. The digital stations are broken up to the point you can not watch them. They have horizontal red/pink and white rectangles flashing on the screen. The HD channels are much better and we can watch them. If you concentrate on the background of the HD channels you can see small flashing colored squares, but not bad.

DVD Player
If I hook it to Composite Video (Video Out to Video in) it works like the digital channels.
If I hook it to Component (Pr, Pb, Y) it works like the HD.

Video games (Wii) works like the digital channels.

I know this is not a very good description but any help would be great. Thanks in advance.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: HDTV Picture Problem
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: HDTV Picture Problem
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
HDTV Picture Problem
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / October 10, 2009 7:34 AM PDT
In reply to: HDTV Picture Problem

mdg003939,

It's difficult to pinpoint a diagnosis. I'm not sure what would cause horizontal colored images to appear. The best advice I can give here is to have your unit inspected by a technician.

--HDTech

Collapse -
HDTV Picture Problem
by mdg003939 / October 11, 2009 2:48 AM PDT

That is what I'm trying to avoid. To pay $125 just to have them look at it does not sit easy with me. I figured out the color wheel problem on a site like this and fixed it.

I guess the question is, what would mess up the digital stations and not the HD stations?

Does it have a different receiver/tuner for digital and HD? Would it be able to receive and process one and not the other?

I keep hearing about firmware on this site. Could that be a possibility?

Thanks again for the help. You are probably right, I will have to take it in this time. But even if I do have to take it in I want to have some idea.

Collapse -
Any ideas
by mdg003939 / October 12, 2009 9:09 PM PDT

BTT Anybody have any ideas?

Collapse -
Any ideas
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / October 13, 2009 3:05 PM PDT
In reply to: Any ideas

mdg003939,

I just don't know. Could be a board, a connection or something entirely different. I'll give it another bump in case someone can help, though.

--HDTech

Collapse -
DVD Player
by mdg003939 / October 19, 2009 12:36 PM PDT
In reply to: Any ideas

So I hooked up the DVD player with a RGB component cable and the picture was perfect. So it is not the projection part of the TV. Has to be the tuner/receiver that processes the signal for the cable/air.

Right?

Collapse -
DVD Player
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / October 22, 2009 2:18 PM PDT
In reply to: DVD Player

mdg003939,

It would seem that way to me. It wouldn't be unheard of (though normally pretty rare) that the physical inputs could have disconnected or have had an issue over the years. It's just happening with the tuner, then that may be the cause of the symptoms.

--HDTech

Collapse -
samsung 52 inch TV
by prevatt / March 8, 2011 7:32 PM PST

My TV has vertical colored lines about half way on the screen. I guessing it is the color wheel. How do I change something like that ans where do I purchase the color wheel.

Collapse -
Re: color wheel
by Kees_B Forum moderator / March 8, 2011 7:45 PM PST
In reply to: samsung 52 inch TV
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Color_wheel told me what a color wheel is. But I don't think that is what is inside your TV.

In http://forums.cnet.com/7723-13973_102-519654.html we discuss a cracked screen. It tells to call Samsung customer service for parts. But inside one of the posts is a link to another thread which says Samsung doesn't sell parts for diy, so you would need to find an authorised repair service or tech.

Best of luck with your TV.

Kees
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 51,912 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,498 discussions
icon
Laptops 20,411 discussions
icon
Security 30,882 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 21,253 discussions
icon
Windows 10 1,672 discussions
icon
Phones 16,494 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,855 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 15,504 discussions

REVIEW

Meet the drop-resistant Moto Z2 Force

The Moto Z2 Force is really thin, with a fast processor and great battery life. It can survive drops without shattering.