TVs & Home Theaters forum

General discussion

HDTV or Apple HD Monitor?

by michlas / May 3, 2007 12:17 AM PDT

Hi everyone,
i'm looking for a tv, or a large monitor, like the expensive apple widescreen display, to plug my macbook to.
I don't really watch television, strictly stuff that comes out of my computer or dvd player. What's the best deal for me?
I know the apple 23 inch display can give me the macbook's maximal resolution, which is about 1900x1120, whereas the Samsung widescreen HDTV LNS2641D, which I have my eye on, has a 1366 x 768 resolution. Will that significantly reduce pic quality?
And if I do get the apple display, can I even plug my dvd player to it and how good will films coming from my macbook look? Lots of questions, I know. Any help I can get would be much appreciated.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: HDTV or Apple HD Monitor?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: HDTV or Apple HD Monitor?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Mac or Samsung???
by jcrobso / May 3, 2007 1:31 AM PDT

When I have been asked what is the best LCD PC monitor,I say Apple's LCDs are at the top of my list!!!!
Samsung's LCDs are very good if you had a PC I would say get the Samsung.
The downside of the Apple is the cost, $900 for the 23".
LCD HDTVs that have RGB/DVI inputs will cost less, Here is a Sharp 32"
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16889101081

Now a question are you a graphic designer, movie maker, use your Mac for your job? If yes, then get the Apple monitor! If not, then maybe getting a Samsung or other HDTV LCD might just do the job for you. John

Collapse -
by michlas / May 3, 2007 1:40 AM PDT
In reply to: Mac or Samsung???

Thanks for your reply, John.
I do intend to use my mac for the job, documentary filmmaking, but I also want to use it for entertainment... Thus, my dilemma.
There would be a downside to a Samsung or a Sharp, compared to the Apple LCD?

Collapse -
For you use not really.
by jcrobso / May 3, 2007 2:44 AM PDT
In reply to: reply

Using your Mac to play DVDs would be better than using a DVD player.
You will also be able to get a larger screen size for the money. John

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?