TVs & Home Theaters forum

General discussion

HDTV on 1999 set?

by macterp / September 18, 2005 3:15 AM PDT

I purchased a Hitachi 60'' widescreen #60SBX78B and also a Mitubishi 36'' screen CS-36509 back in November of 1998 and was told they were 1999 sets. I could swear at the time that I was told I could buy a converter box ''...down the road.'' if I wanted to convert these to HDTV at some future point. They pointed out that that is what the S-video was for. I can't find anything anywhere in the owners manuals of these two nice TV's about HDTV. I don't want to replace the sets, but I'd like to see if they will even handle HDTV, because I'm afraid they don't. I don't even know if HDTV was even around at the time.
Any help is greatly appreciated....

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: HDTV on 1999 set?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: HDTV on 1999 set?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Your are on the right track
by BAMBAMRCK1 / September 18, 2005 10:30 AM PDT
In reply to: HDTV on 1999 set?

You're set's are not HD. Unfortunately some unscrupulous salesmen BS people into thiking that you can upgrade a tv to HD. Entirely untrue. S-video is not HD.Component, DVI, HDMI are the only cables that will display HD. In order of quality it goes like this. Composite, S-Video, Component,DVI and HDMI.

Collapse -
great set but not HD...
by grimgraphix / September 18, 2005 12:51 PM PDT
In reply to: HDTV on 1999 set?

here is a press release for the sets in question...

as you see... it was a great set for its day but digital HD had not hit the mainstream in 1998. Still you should get great picture quality from dvd and any other source you can hook up via component video connectors. For a set this old you might look into a quick internal dusting job and vacuum off the lens assemblies. This should only be done by someone who knows what they are doing as you can get a strong shock, even off an unplugged set. Rule of thumb also is that you never use ammonia based cleaners on the plastic screen or internal mirror as it will cause clear plastic to cloud up. laptop LCD screen cleaners are the best choice.

Popular Forums
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
Laptops 21,181 discussions
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
Phones 17,137 discussions
Security 31,287 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?