TVs & Home Theaters forum

General discussion

HDTV LCD Question (About 1080p)

I am interested in the Toshiba 42" LCD HDTV (Model 42HL196). This HDTV is advertised as a 1080p HDTV. I went to the Toshiba website and looked at the specification sheet, and here is what it states:

Panel 1920 x 1080
Display 1080p
DNR 480i/480p/720p/1080i
MPEG DNR 480i/480p/720p/1080i

What does this mean? Is this a 1080p HDTV or not? As far as I know, 1080p can be viewed through an HDMI cable for Blu-ray DVDs or video games. 1080i is the highest signal available for broadcast television. I am not going to get a Blu-ray DVD player at the moment, but would like to take advantage of 1080p sometime in the future.

Thanks!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: HDTV LCD Question (About 1080p)
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: HDTV LCD Question (About 1080p)
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Just some FYI. Do some reading at the link.

In reply to: HDTV LCD Question (About 1080p)

Collapse -
Some more clarification...

In reply to: Just some FYI. Do some reading at the link.

Thanks for the reply...I've read that article before. I guess I should have clarified a bit more.

1. CNET's specifications do not mention 1080p for this Toshiba. They only specify 1080i.
2. Toshiba's specifications states what I have posted up above.

So I just wanted to know whether or not this Toshiba is 1080p. Thanks!

Collapse -
It will accept. . .

In reply to: Some more clarification...

a 1080P input and display a progressive signal. It will not upscale a 1080I to 1080P.

You might give Toshiba a holler for more details.

Collapse -
It upscales to 1080p

In reply to: It will accept. . .

Finally got through to Toshiba. Apparently there was a snow storm in central Illinois, therefore the Customer Service department was temporarily closed. Here are the specifications for this LCD HDTV:

2 component video (accepts 1080i/720p/480p/480i signals)
2 HDMI digital audio/video inputs (accepts signals up to 1080i)

This HDTV will convert the signal to 1080p. So if I hook-up a Blu-ray DVD player, I will need to set it at 1080i. When the TV picks up this 1080i signal, it will convert it to 1080p internally.

Makes me wonder; a Blu-ray DVD player will only be useful to play HD-DVDs or Blu-ray DVDs. I can enjoy 1080p with an HDMI DVD player, since this HDTV will upscale it. If not, then the PS3 can always be used as a Blu-ray DVD player.

I'm going for it and buying this HDTV!

Collapse -
747 TECH MORE ON 1080i AND 1080p

In reply to: It upscales to 1080p

I own a toshiba 72" d.l.p. set and have ordered a new blue ray player. any day now and I believe on a large screen size like mine the could be a tad difference between 1080I and P. I do know that when I watch Nothing but trailers on h.d. net in 1080I the picture is stunning better than 35m.m film quality. so 1080P may look better if thats possible HAVE FUN KEEPING THOSE AIRPLANES RUNNING GOOD STEWEEEEEE

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.