The only HD you have is the HDTV. You can hook this to an antenna for off the air reception of HD broadcasts.
DVD movies are ED video 480i/p depends on you player. Use component cables to the HDTV, digital audio to the Dennon.
VHS is SD. Your combo unit can only record SD!!! HD receivers only output in SD for recording purposes. I have a Dish HD/DVR receiver I can watch HD via component or HDMI, but I can only record via the S-video output.
The analog DirectTV is SD, if it has S-video output then it is very good SD. Hook this to the Dennon and let it upscale to 480p.
Which one does the best job of upscalling???? Try it both ways and see which looks best to you. If you have any more questions just repost. John
New guy needs HELP,
I wish I would have found you guys before I bought most of this stuff, but that bridge has been crossed and now I need some help in hooking everything up to get the best results and adding the last few parts.
TV - Sony KDS-60A2000 - HDTV 1080P - 2 HDMI inputs, many other lower level inputs
Receiver - Denon AVR-2807 ? analog up conversion to 480P - 2 HDMI inputs, 1 HDMI output, many other inputs
SAT - Sony Directv digital receiver 10 years old
Speakers 7.1 setup
- Front/surround - Aperion Intimus 532 LR
- Center - Aperion Intimus 533-VAC
- Rear - Aperion Intimus 632-IC In-Ceil
- Sub - Aperion S10, 10"/200w powered
VCR - Hitachi S-video
Directv HDTV or Dish Network HDTV
Non subscription DVR/DVD/VCR type thing, Panasonic DMR-EH75V
Ok, now question time.
1. HDTV Satellite receiver cable directly to TV or go through Receiver? If direct to TV HDMI, should audio be wired from TV to Receiver or Satellite to Receiver? Is optical cable best for sound?
2. Satellite package Directv or Dish any preference.
3. Any opinions on the Panasonic DMR-EH75V DVR/DVD/VCR. If I am watching HD from the Satellite or over air can this thing record what I am watching? If so what format is it?
4. The TV the DVD and the Receiver all have some form of up conversion. Which piece of equipment should I let do the up conversion for SD or DVD input sources?
Thanks in advance for any help!!