TVs & Home Theaters forum

General discussion

HDTV-HDMI cabling help best picture and sound.

by ksbayne / November 16, 2006 12:58 AM PST

New guy needs HELP,
I wish I would have found you guys before I bought most of this stuff, but that bridge has been crossed and now I need some help in hooking everything up to get the best results and adding the last few parts.

Equipment list
TV - Sony KDS-60A2000 - HDTV 1080P - 2 HDMI inputs, many other lower level inputs
Receiver - Denon AVR-2807 ? analog up conversion to 480P - 2 HDMI inputs, 1 HDMI output, many other inputs
SAT - Sony Directv digital receiver 10 years old
Speakers 7.1 setup
- Front/surround - Aperion Intimus 532 LR
- Center - Aperion Intimus 533-VAC
- Rear - Aperion Intimus 632-IC In-Ceil
- Sub - Aperion S10, 10"/200w powered
VCR - Hitachi S-video

Upgrades
Directv HDTV or Dish Network HDTV
Non subscription DVR/DVD/VCR type thing, Panasonic DMR-EH75V

Ok, now question time.
1. HDTV Satellite receiver cable directly to TV or go through Receiver? If direct to TV HDMI, should audio be wired from TV to Receiver or Satellite to Receiver? Is optical cable best for sound?
2. Satellite package Directv or Dish any preference.
3. Any opinions on the Panasonic DMR-EH75V DVR/DVD/VCR. If I am watching HD from the Satellite or over air can this thing record what I am watching? If so what format is it?
4. The TV the DVD and the Receiver all have some form of up conversion. Which piece of equipment should I let do the up conversion for SD or DVD input sources?

Thanks in advance for any help!!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: HDTV-HDMI cabling help best picture and sound.
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: HDTV-HDMI cabling help best picture and sound.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Looking at your list of gear you did a good job!!!!
by jcrobso / November 16, 2006 3:19 AM PST

The only HD you have is the HDTV. You can hook this to an antenna for off the air reception of HD broadcasts.
DVD movies are ED video 480i/p depends on you player. Use component cables to the HDTV, digital audio to the Dennon.
VHS is SD. Your combo unit can only record SD!!! HD receivers only output in SD for recording purposes. I have a Dish HD/DVR receiver I can watch HD via component or HDMI, but I can only record via the S-video output.
The analog DirectTV is SD, if it has S-video output then it is very good SD. Hook this to the Dennon and let it upscale to 480p.
Which one does the best job of upscalling???? Try it both ways and see which looks best to you. If you have any more questions just repost. John

Collapse -
Answers
by Hagrun / November 16, 2006 3:40 AM PST

1. HDTV Satellite receiver cable directly to TV or go through Receiver? If direct to TV HDMI, should audio be wired from TV to Receiver or Satellite to Receiver? Is optical cable best for sound?

Going through your receiver is a very convenient option, however your receiver is another place that can add to picture noise. The only way to know is to try.

Audio you want to go from the Satellite box to the Audio receiver.

When it comes to audio cables it's all preference. Some people like the sound clarity of the optical cables, but it depends on whether your are happy with the end result of how the sound comes out.
*Tip: Check out your local game store (like EB Games) for optical cables. They tend to sell them for less money. I picked up 5 of them for $2 each.

2. Satellite package Directv or Dish any preference.

From my experience Direct TV has better content, but Dish has better customer service. I'm not sure if the customer service differs between the two services depending on where you live.

3. Any opinions on the Panasonic DMR-EH75V DVR/DVD/VCR. If I am
watching HD from the Satellite or over air can this thing record what I am watching? If so what format is it?

It should be able to record from any signal it is capable of receiving over the air or from a set top box. I haven't used it before so I can't be sure.

4. The TV the DVD and the Receiver all have some form of up conversion. Which piece of equipment should I let do the up conversion for SD or DVD input sources?

This is another one you will have to experiment with. My first inclination would be to let the DVD player handle it, but the only way to find out what setup will give you the best picture is to try different combinations of setups. It sucks, but it's true.

Collapse -
HDTV-HDMI cabling help best picture and sound.
by ksbayne / November 17, 2006 10:41 PM PST
In reply to: Answers

Thanks, the info is greatly appreciated!

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?