HolidayBuyer's Guide

TVs & Home Theaters forum

General discussion

HDTV + HD DVD Player + HD DVD Burner = ?

by casanj48 / August 15, 2007 12:03 AM PDT

I have a High Definition TV (1080i), standard definition DVD player, and the High Definition Camcorder (1080i).

Do I need a HD DVD burner or HD DVD to burn the HD video from my HD camcorder?
Do I need to upgrade the DVD player into the HD DVD player to watch the HD movie?

Please explain to me clearly because I'm the beginner.

Thank you,

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: HDTV + HD DVD Player + HD DVD Burner = ?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: HDTV + HD DVD Player + HD DVD Burner = ?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Yes to both questions.
by jcrobso / August 15, 2007 3:08 AM PDT

Sadly it will not be easy to watch you HD home videos.
If you HDTV has Firewire port you can watch directly from the camera.
To edit them on a PC you need a video editing program that will handle HD video. John

Collapse -
yes but
by ozos / August 15, 2007 10:42 AM PDT

you can burn the HD content to DVD from a computer after editing, the only thing HD-DVD buys you is more storage capacity (so if you're doing 2-3 hours of footage, an HD-DVD would be a good idea, for a PC they cost about $500)

Collapse -
Watching HD from you camcorder on a HD TV
by jmcgauhey / August 31, 2007 4:56 PM PDT

There are several ways to watch, or even burn HD.
1) Connect your camera directly to TV. This requires EITHER a camera that has HDMI or virtually all cameras have HD Component output. OR a TV that can connect. I have a HD camera with HDMI output that connects directly to my HD TV. Only problem, I can't edit and it ties up my camera.
2) Understand there are 2 HD formats when it comes to DVD's. HD is Hi Definition, but Hi Definition DVD's come in 2 formats. Blu-Ray (called BD discs), and HD-DVD. So don't say HD-DVD when you really mean a generic Hi Definition DVD disc. HD-DVD is a particular FORMAT (not brand) of DVD.
3) Blu-Ray discs are completely different than the DVD's we not have. They use a red laser, must be burned on a very expensive special Blu-Ray disc, and of course, played on a Blu-Ray DVD player. So you cannot burn a Blu-Ray DVD yourself without some very expensive investment - the burner, the media, and the player.
4) A HD-DVD has similarity with the standard defintion DVD's we are familiar with. HD-DVD uses a blue laser, as does regular DVD, but to get a high capacity HD-DVD (15 gig or 30 gig), you again need a special HD-DVD burner, and HD-DVD media. They're about half the price of Blu-Ray, but still special and expensive.
5) HOWEVER - you CAN burn a HD-DVD, a genuine Hi Definition HD-DVD disc with your current DVD burner, AND on regular DVD-R media. That's right. There's just one catch - regular 4.7 gig DVD-R (or +R) media can contain only 23 minutes of Hi Definition video. Not enough to copy a commercial movie, or record a movie or TV program, but it is enough to edit your HD from the camcorder and record it, and play it in genuine Hi Definition. I've done this several times. THEORETICALLY you can get 40 minutes on a DVD+R DL (double layer) 8.5 gig regular DVD media, but I have not been successful in doing this. The one time it successfully burned, the disc skipped in playback on my new this Aug 07 month Toshiba HD-DVD player. Still, my single layer regular DVD-R media works great.
6) You will need software to capture your camcorder video in HD, edit it, and then to record HD-DVD on regular DVD-R media. I use Ulead software. Download a free 30 trial of Video Studio 11 (I use their pro version, which takes days to learn how to use). There are other software programs that I've herd will do this also, but I only use and am familiar with Ulead. VS11 is under $100, but you can download the free 30 day trial and make sure it works for you. Make sure you update the firmware of your regular DVD burner also.

So, the short answer is - yes - you can. 23 minutes worth!
J McGauhey
Washington State

Collapse -
How to burn, setting & format for hd-dvd
by dadd75 / January 15, 2008 1:15 AM PST

I have a Dell 400 XPS, 2 gig ram, 256 video card, dual 3.0 processors. I have Premiere Pro 1.5.1, Premiere Elements 4, and Studio 11 Ultimate. I cannot get my home videos to look high def. I have a Sony HDR-HC3, download to my computer HDV, and when I burn a disc, play on my 46" Toshiba HD, it looks ok, but not clear and crisp like HD should. Could anyone explain to me how to properly download my video, how to set it up and burn. I have an Xbox HD-DVD player.
Thanks so much!

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.