General discussion

(HDTV) Florescent vs. LED bulb life comparison.

Is there a difference between the CCFL(Florescent back lights) and the LED backlights, as far as hour rating; or life of the light(s). I am assuming side lit are similar to the LED for this comparison. For those who leave the TV on 8-10 hours a day sometimes, this is of interest perhaps.I know a Flourescent bulb in real life(say compact florescents) generally have a much shorter life; than their LED comparison. Different bulb design I am sure; but what might be the comparison for bulb life on back lit TV'S? I think the cold cathode(is it) are a bit different, than standard florescent. Any ideas, thanks anyone.

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: (HDTV) Florescent vs. LED bulb life comparison.
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: (HDTV) Florescent vs. LED bulb life comparison.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Most

TV's LCDs (CCFL & LED) & Plasma screen are rated 100,000 hours but that does not matter anymore since there are many other things that will die long before the panels rated life. Most TV's now days will (should) last 5-7 years, anything over that is bonus years.

- Collapse -
When you say screen

are the back light assemblies part of screen, or more like a a separate bulb or component? Also, sorry for the double post.....not intentional!
I see some reference to 60,000 hours rating on the LCD backlight, but nothing on the LED yet. That is 3 times the rating on a standard f40cw kitchen bulb. Are the backlights or side lights integrated into the screen assembly?

- Collapse -
Since LEDs are semi-conductor devices . . .

They have a pretty general rating. LEDs are rated in "half-life". This means that they are measured in brightness over their life time. Half-life means they will be half as bright. In general the half life of an LED is about a hundred years.

Component failure will occur long before you loose brightness.

- Collapse -
color rendering even more important

LED it is. That takes me from 52 inch to 46.

Color rendering Moderator; I should have thought of that, having dealt with lighting outside the TV environment. UV drops off big time. Week one, no big difference. Year one or two, you go way down with ccfl. Thanks. Very nice, glad I asked. I imagine color rendering goes the same way as the time line above; dropping off much slower with LED.

- Collapse -
LED should last a very long time. PICTURE!
- Collapse -
I'd go LED ove LCD, LCD over florescent because ...

As I understand it, life expectancy (and energy usage also) lines up as follows:

Florescent = first generation flat screen TV/PC monitor (lots better than old ?tube? TVs).
LCD = second generation flat screen (much better than florescent).
LED = third generation flat screen (best by far!).
?3D? LED = fourth generation flat screen (very pricy & long term market acceptance somewhat debatable. Life expectancy, quality, etc, expected to be same as standard LED).

I?m not sure where ?Plasma? fits in but I believe it to be generally between Florescent and LCD. Plasma TVs came out about the same time as florescent but they have been improved & upgraded so the current models are more like second or third generation in quality, life expectancy and features. From what I hear, plasma energy costs are fairly high but the viewing quality is superb. Note: The plasma market share thus number of manufacturers is dwindling (ie: beta-max?) so some good deals can be had.

I do not know the exact numbers as far as life/energy but LEDs are a lot more energy efficient (by at least an order of magnitude) over LCDs, LCDs by another order of magnitude over Florescent so over time each may pay for the difference in price. Note: 100,000 hour life expectancy (LCD/LED) equates to 34+ years at 8 hrs a day ? ie: both LCDs & LEDs will outlive your interest in what?s on TV in all likelihood. Generally, each generation of TV also includes more features (ie: audio/video/PC connections) compared to the previous generation also

Almost all of the florescent TVs on the market now are cheap clones assembled by no-name far-east manufactures using left over parts (or left over older models being dumped by brand name manufactures) ? simply put: I would avoid florescent TVs/monitors like the plague. LCDs are starting to do the same ? older/cheaper models & knock-offs.

?3D LED? is too expensive and there are too few 3D shows (DVDs, etc) to justify buying for the next year or so in my opinion.

Thus: Currently, I would look for LED as my first choice. But: Many brand name manufactures are trying to get rid of LCDs so they are priced very competitively right now (and should be even more so for the Christmas shopping period) ... again I'd stick to newer, brand name, LCDs though.

- Collapse -
?????

What is a "Florescent" tv?????
LCD's have aways used Florescent tech in the form of CCFL but LEDs are now replacing the CCFL's in them... LED tv = LCD tech, just different backlights.
LCD's with LED backlights uses the same tech as LCD with CCFL backlight but LCD with CCFL are going the way of the dodo bird.
3D has nothing to do with backlighting or generation #.
LCD's are up to around the 15th+ generation & plasma is at 12th generation.

The term "LED TV" is just a made up term for marketing (I think Samsung came up with it) because people were getting very confused with "LCD-LED" tv's vs LCD (CCFL) tv's when shopping. Just makes it easier for the sales people to say this is a "LED tv" vs this is a LCD-LED then they spend 5-10 minutes explaining the difference of a LCD with CCFL vs a LCD with LEDs to the customer.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Backlight

- Collapse -
My guess;

phosphorous in the CRT.

- Collapse -
Interesting definitions

Florescent = first generation flat screen TV/PC monitor (lots better than old ?tube? TVs)
LCD = second generation flat screen (much better than florescent).

This must be the flatter tube sets, as opposed to the older round bubbles. Are you calling us on the definition of florescent TV's here Charlie, or just using a term before we were were born Happy I guess CRT's were florescent. It seems the second reference implies the LCD(second generation you mention) is not florescent.

Did you mean

Florescent= first generation CRT flat screen TV/PC monitor (lots better than older CRT round tube?
LCD= second generation backlit florescent (much better than CRT florescent)?

- Collapse -
I was talking observered "marketing" generations ...

Before flat screen the original TVs (and PC monitors) used Cathode Ray Tubes (CRT) which are vaccume tubes with florescent screens which react to electrons shot from behind.

Flat screen TVs currently marketed include the use of the following (volatile) flat panel displays:

1. Plasma displays - early models had major problems with life expectency but good progress has been made in this regard from what I understand.

2. Liquid crystal displays (LCDs) - what I called the first and second marketing generations. I split them due to the improvements in LCD quality, backlighting type/quality, the change from 4:3 to 16:9 wide-screen, number/density of pixels, connections and features. The LCDs themselves have a long life expectency but the early displays using them had problems with the (ie: florescent) backlight life/quality.

Some of the older LCD technology is still available via no-name/knock-off brands. It appears to me that all brand name manufacturers are rapidly moving from LCD to LED technology (and discounting their older LCD stuff).

3. Light-emitting diode displays (LEDs) - are what I called the third marketing generation. Very energy efficent (even compared to LCDs), faster refresh rates, very long life expectency. Currently LEDs are more expensive to manufacture than LCDs but that difference is shrinking. LEDs came (fully) to market in the past year or so. They are the current BIG WOW products! I believe all 3D TVs use this technology. Additionally, I believe the florescent backlights have been replaced by LCD backlights in high-end LED TVs thus totally eliminating backlight problems (but bumping the cost some more) as well as making the screens thinner.

There are several other new technologies that are not really on the (mom and pop) market yet:
4. Organic light-emitting diode displays (OLEDs)
5. Electroluminescent displays (ELDs)
I don't know much/anything about these (or much else based upon the replies to my original posting!). These both have the potential of being the next BIG WOW marketing generation I guess.

Additionally, there is another flat screen technology (static) that is often used for roadside billboards, stadium end-zone screens, etc. These displays are slow to refresh/change thus not suitable for home TV/DVD viewing or video game playing.

Sorry if I was not clear/helpful in my reply/replies.

As always, Wikipedia has lots on this subject ...

CNET Forums

Forum Info