TVs & Home Theaters forum

General discussion

HDTV DTV Format help

I just hooked up a HD cable box to my HD DLP Toshiba TV, but the DTV format is set at\ 480i.

I want to change the 480i to 1080i or at least close to that DTV format. I asked the cable guy, but he was not very helpful. In fact he told me to checkout the TV user manual, but the problem is I cannot find it and I am still searching for it.

Does anybody know hot to change or set the DTV formats on a HDTV?

Also it is different depending on what brand of TV. I have a Toshiba and Sony brand HDTV if the brand has anything to do with the DTV format setup.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: HDTV DTV Format help
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: HDTV DTV Format help
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Aspect Radio/ Resolution

In reply to: HDTV DTV Format help

Collapse -
OSA DUMB CABLE INSTALLERS

In reply to: HDTV DTV Format help

You should be able to go into the cable box menue and select 1080I also set for 16X9 Also hint dump cable and check out the dish network 211 system Better prices and tons of options You also can hook up an outside antenna to receove all your over the air local digital hi-def channels Just do a digital scan and all your locals will go into the main menue Dish also offers some great hi-def packages at awsome prices good luck stew

Collapse -
Cable HD Box

In reply to: OSA DUMB CABLE INSTALLERS

Thanks for you guys help. I finally figured out what was wrong and why I could not get a true HD DTR format on my TV. The HD picture quality has nothing to do with my TV. In fact it is Time Warner's HD box cable that is problem. The HD cable box is not giving me a true HD DTR format like 1080i that is received by my HDTV, which basically means the HD DTR format upgrade/setup should be automatic.

Time Warner cable boxes do not receive HD signals yet. In fact all their HD channels are set at 480i for now. Maybe soon or in 2008/2010 this problem with their HD cable boxes will be fixed when HDTV becomes stand and all channels start broadcasting in HD. Some cable companies like Time Warner are not ready for HDTV and their channels are not set for true HD yet.

Collapse -
HD Channels

In reply to: Cable HD Box

I finally got some HD channels in 1080i from my HD cable box, but the HD channel lineup was not very impressive. In fact most of the HD programing was on demand. The HD channels that people want you have to subscribe to and some HD channels will not automatically work unless you activate the the service. Also the HD channels are way up there in the channel selections. You won't find any 1080i HD channels until you checkout channels between 700-900. So far a majority of the channels in 480i and there are not enough HD channels broadcast true HD like 1080i.

Why did the dumb cable installer not tell me that instead of telling me to consult my TV manual?

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.