The CNET Lounge forum

General discussion

HDTV compatibility for HDMI input from laptop?...

Anyone know of good flat panel plasmas or LCDs that do well with HDMI input from a laptop?

I just got a great laptop (hp dv9000t) and it has an HDMI output. I'm looking at selling my extra CRT, LCD monitor, and tube TV to get a 27-32" HDTV that I can hook-up my laptop to through the HDMI input. I don't know if interlaced or progressive TV sets matter...does it?

Any suggestions would be very helpful! thanks!
Best,
Shalin

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: HDTV compatibility for HDMI input from laptop?...
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: HDTV compatibility for HDMI input from laptop?...
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
hdmi vs other inputs?

In reply to: HDTV compatibility for HDMI input from laptop?...

the image quality off hdmi vs vga vs component is the same right? I mean they all support 1080p right? and in fact, vga can support even higher resolutions (1600x1200 etc), but I dunno if there truly is a difference with an "all digital signal".

I got a Olevia 32" LCD for xmas and it looks fantastic with VGA, I've heard the Vizio is the same way. I guess, I'd stay with the cheaper brands unless you happen to be rich, in which case, nevermind, but the cheaper guys offer great quality without breaking the bank.

-karl

Collapse -
Not the same

In reply to: hdmi vs other inputs?

Better Resolution does not mean higher quality. Generally DVI or HDMI is going to be showing you a much more clear picture than what you can get from VGA. If you have an LCD monitor with DVI and VGA inputs on it you might want to play around looking at the quality difference, I bet you will be amazed. I believe that the DVI connections can support higher resolutions but is limited by the hardware pushing out that much bandwidth (don't count on this though).

Of course there is factors that might change how big of deal it is, such as a the length of cables you have.

VGA and Component are going to be fairly close to the same quality and it really just depends on your circumstance if DVI or HDMI will be better for you.

Collapse -
ty for the info

In reply to: Not the same

alas my laptop is less cool and only has svideo or vga :-/ hehe

Collapse -
VGA and DVI are dead...

In reply to: hdmi vs other inputs?

Why? Because they are *dumb* interfaces that cannot be made to restrict "premium" content if the DRM in Vista does not find suitable licenses. HDMI is the only interface that will be able to play full-quality premium video (whether HD-DVD Blu-Ray or downloaded HD content with AACS protection) simply because it was designed in such a way that it can be made to restrict output if the DRM requests it. Your new Hi-Def TV has to be able to play by the DRM rules also. No more analog hole...

I'm surprised this wasn't brought up yet.

Collapse -
HDMI Computer To TV

Wow!? HP has a laptop with an HDMI output!? Impressive.

Our 40" HDTV Samsung (1080p) LCD handles our DVI output from our Apple notebooks very well. Samsung's PC input also allows a user to tinker with the settings to a preferred type so you get the best quality you like.

Best of luck!

PS - You can also just hold out for Apple's iTV that will have HDMI output. I'm sure this product would be Apple & PC compatible since it's heavily designed w/ iTunes in mind. That's my guess.

Collapse -
(NT) Panasonic Viera's are good in my opinion.

Collapse -
Samsung Rocks!

I just bought for Christmas the 46" Samsung LCD and I have played Unreal Tornement on it, I also bought a Samsung DVD Recoredr/player it upgrades your video from your VCR to better quality, The Samsung 46" LCD has 2 HDMI ports . Suggestion go to Lowes and get the Philips 12' cable for $40 as apposed to my ignorance at circuit city and got sold 2 3' monster cables each for $60 but they regularly sell for $90+ ...its a joke.. the Philips ones are just as good and plenty long, trust me 3' leave all components too close to the TV. My 12' is great to run it to my coffee table and game on my new dv9000t custom build! One other thing though, make sure you enable the TV as primary and use single view not dual when gaming, splitting the video processing to 2 screens even with a 512MB video slows it in High Definition , you can go lower res but why all the expense just to go low res. trust me you need only the LCD tv running and go game HAPPY! I'm going to try Doom3 next. Have fun fellow HP laptopers. Its the ONLY laptop. I design on CAD and thats something I will try soon too on that Samsung and I have no doubt it can handle it.

Collapse -
well

I have a panasonic plasma and connect my macbook to it using a DVI-HDMI cable. works fine.

On a side note,
My dad has a SONY 50 something inch LCD. I compared the connection between svideo and VGA, and the VGA connection from his Toshiba laptop blew the svideo away.

Collapse -
dv9000t

Hey,
I just bought this laptop as well. I only received it two days ago, so I'm still tinkering with setup, but I'm hooking it to a 42" Panasonic plasma.

DVI and HDMI will have better image quality than component/VGA, but it depends on the signal output. If the output stinks from the laptop, there's no in spending $$$ on an HDMI cable. Also, unless you have the version of the laptop with the HD-DVD drive (I don't) using HDMI doesn't make much sense unless you're trying to save room on cables since HDMI supports audio & visual.

progressive vs interlaced will matter depending on the laptop. If the laptop only outputs 1080p for some reason, and you have a 1080i TV, it won't work. Odds are the laptop is outputting 1080i or 720p, so you'll probably be fine.

Hope that helps.

Collapse -
(NT) THANKS! I'll know what I can expect now!

In reply to: dv9000t

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

REVIEW

Sublime suburban chariot

High on style and technology, the 2019 Volvo XC90 is an incredibly satisfying everyday crossover.