Samsung forum

General discussion

HDTECH is BACK! Thanks for your help!

Forum members,

I'm back in the office and answering questions - hopefully with all the new info you'll need (posted later this week). As you can guess, I have a lot of posts in queue, but I will get to each post, and hopefully caught up by the end of tomorrow. Please be patient, but if your question isn't answered by Wednesday, please feel free to bump it back up and I'll get to it.

Also submissions for the LinkStick Contest end today. If you've helped out answering questions in my absence, please email me at lsforumcontest@gmail.com with your submission.

--HDTech

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: HDTECH is BACK! Thanks for your help!
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: HDTECH is BACK! Thanks for your help!
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
does that mean mkv playback will be happening soon?

In reply to: HDTECH is BACK! Thanks for your help!

Please PLease Please. But I will understand either way

Collapse -
46A650, how to play movies?

In reply to: does that mean mkv playback will be happening soon?

1. Does this mean I might be able to play mkv films with my 46A650? Currently I can only play picture files from usb and there is no option for playing movies.

2. How can check firmware version on 46A650? I saw instruction for updating but couldn't find any "update" in any of the menus. I think update is in service menu which I don't know to to enter "service menu"?

Collapse -
46A650, how to play movies?

In reply to: 46A650, how to play movies?

steve_rb,

1. No. The DLNA and movie features are available on the 7-series and up.

2. The manual should give you directions on how to do that.

I believe it's MENU > SETUP > INFO BUTTON (on remote)

--HDTech

Collapse -
Movie features in the future for 46A650 via update?

In reply to: 46A650, how to play movies?

1. I was hopping for adding movie features on series 6 via firmware updating in the future.e I am not suure software update will do it or it will need hardware update too?

2. There is no info option in menu>setup and after pressing on remote info botton following menu>setup all I see normal window pops up at the yp left corner showing general info of what TV is currently playing and no sign of "update" anywhere. Is it on service menu (info-menu-mute-power)? How can I access it?

Collapse -
Movie features in the future for 46A650 via update?

In reply to: Movie features in the future for 46A650 via update?

steve_rb,

Interesting. I wasn't able to find that in the manual either.

You could download the latest firmware update and load it in. It will prompt you if you want to upgrade to xxxx.x version from xxxx.x version. I guess that's one way to do it.

I'll check tomorrow to see if I can find out a way to check on the television itself without having to download the firmware to a thumbdrive.

--HDTech

Collapse -
How to check....

In reply to: Movie features in the future for 46A650 via update?

steve_rb,

Using your remote, go to:

SETUP > highlight SW UGRADE > Press INFO button

Does that help?

--HDTech

Collapse -
No "highlight SW Upgrade" on setup menu?

In reply to: How to check....

Using menu>setup on remote there is no "highlight SW UGRADE" option. What other advice do you have for me?

Collapse -
No "highlight SW Upgrade" on setup menu?

In reply to: No "highlight SW Upgrade" on setup menu?

steve_rb,

Sorry about that - I could have been a little more clear in my instructions.

Menu > Setup > SW Upgrade (It's the last option in the setup menu if you scroll down)

Highlight that

Press the INFO button on the remote.

--HDTech

Collapse -
Still no "SW upgrade"

In reply to: No "highlight SW Upgrade" on setup menu?

All I have in menu>setup are as follows:

Plug&Play
language
Time
Auto wall-mount
Melody
Entertainment
Energy Saving
PIP

Last option is PIP when I scroll down and there is no other option?

Collapse -
Still no "SW upgrade"

In reply to: Still no "SW upgrade"

steve_rb,

I haven't forgotten ya. Let me double check this tomorrow.

--HDTech

Collapse -
Still no "SW upgrade"

steve_rb,

It sounds like you're missing a couple options, then.

No captioning? No V-chip? No External Settings Menu? No network setup?

I don't know why those options aren't there at all - naturally I thought you just weren't scrolling down far enough (which is common, actually). I would definitely recommend calling service and explaining that the manual has a lot more menu options than your television does. LN46A650 should have the above features in the menu.

Keep me posted.

--HDTech

Collapse -
Options might have turned off from service menu?

Is that possible the person came from local Samsung agent the first day after installation for checking installation and adjustments might have turned these features off from service menu? He did a lot of stuff without telling me from service menu. I wasn't familiar with these tvs and he did evey thing very fast and I didn't relised what he was doing? If this is the case will a factory reset from service menu do the job and bring those options back?

Collapse -
Extra options are also missing in the manual?

In reply to: Options might have turned off from service menu?

I checked LCD TV user manual and in the manual also I didn't see those options you have mentioned (v-vhip, external setting, ... )? Manual options are those I mentioned above too? How is this possible?

Collapse -
Do you have a US model?

In reply to: Extra options are also missing in the manual?

From reading other threads is appears that Samsung occasionally uses the same "Base" model name in other countries with slightly different specs (mostly due to local differences in standards).

Was the TV purchased in the US? Also, you might want to post the full model number.

One thing I am thinking might have happened is it could have been put in "Hotel Mode". I know the A550 I have has such a mode, and I believe most Samsungs have such a mode.

This mode is designed for hotels to limit options (such as inputs or volume range, etc). It can also cause the TV to default to a specific channel, input, and volume level when the TV is turned on (to tune to a hotel channel for example).

This is something that can only be turned on or off from the service menu. I don't know of any positive test to determine if your TV had this mode turned on. One test I can think of is "Does your TV always tune to a specific input or channel?"

If it does, you might want to call who ever came out and ask them to come back and turn it off.

But since you said the manual also does not mention these settings, I would guess you might have bought your TV outside the US? The v-chip I believe is a US requirement, so I find it interesting that is missing.

Collapse -
Detailes of TV

In reply to: Do you have a US model?

Tv purchased outside US and complete model number is LA46A650A1RXHC. Tv turns on on the channel was turned off last time. Factory reset for sure should solve the problem. I can get into service menu but need to know how to do factory reset from there?

Collapse -
Service Menu

In reply to: Do you have a US model?

Unfortunately, I can't assist with Service Menu settings at all. I can't post about them, or assist even in the slightest. It's for authorized Samsung technicians only, and there are too many things that can go wrong.

I'm sorry, but I just can't help with this.

--HDTech

Collapse -

If this is an LN46A650, then those options should most definitely be in the user manual.

I'd contact your retailer and find out why. The V-Chip information is on page 51, and in the Table of Contents.

Keep me posted.

--HDTech

Collapse -
TV is LA46A650 not LN46A650

My TV is LA46A650. What is main technical differences betwenn LN46A650 and LA46A650?
I am not interested in V-chip or network settings. All I want to find is "SW upgrade" for future updates?

Collapse -

I don't know the details of that particular model, or why it wouldn't have that feature in the television. It may be a regional difference, or that updates are unavailable for that television.

The best way to get that answer is to call your local regional Samsung customer service center. I don't have information on the LA series of televisions.

--HDtech

Collapse -
I have a ln-t4661f with a back light issue.

I would like to know if the inverter is the problem or not. Is this a common issue?

Collapse -
I have a ln-t4661f with a back light issue.

In reply to: I have a ln-t4661f with a back light issue.

camsoup01,

No, the inverter board issue on the sites usually refer to a different model from a different year issuing a different issue. It's entirely possible, but you'd have to get your unit diagnosed to know for sure.

--HDTech

Collapse -
Any results yet from the LinkStick Contest?

Any results yet?

Collapse -
Congratulations!!!!

In reply to: Any results yet from the LinkStick Contest?

Forum,

I wanted to publicly Congratulate <b>The_Pickle</b> for answering several forum questions while I was in meetings two weeks ago. <b>The_Pickle</b> not only helped out forum members with attempts, but also gave some really great answers.

Since he was the only member to participate in the contest, I have decided to also send a Samsung 2GB Thumbdrive as a way of saying "thanks" for jumping in and helping people.

Thanks!

--HDTech

Collapse -
LinkStick : ( H E L P

I've been trying to get them for the three 650 series I bought in November, no luck !!!

I understand that you have a way of getting some out to 'lucky' Samsung owners. H E L P ! ! One would be great if that is possible.

The tvs specifically because of the Info link feature but am unable to us it. Very frustrating ....

Great sets but the wireless pickup should be included with the set considering the cost.

Collapse -
LinkStick : ( H E L P

In reply to: LinkStick : ( H E L P

cnetss,

Since the contest had three available and I have two left over, I'd be happy to send you one.

Send an email with your name, address, model and serial number to:
lsforumcontest@gmail.com and I'll get that out to you. Happy

--HDTech

Collapse -
Thank you,

In reply to: LinkStick : ( H E L P

I emailed the information last night.

Again, T H A N K Y O U

Steve

Collapse -
Gotcha..

In reply to: Thank you,

cnetss,

You're welcome. Happy You have a response.

--HDTech

Collapse -
Link Stick

In reply to: Gotcha..

I too have been trying to find one of those, The Best Buy where I bought my TV Does not carry them. I keep asking them about where to get one but to no avail, some of the sales people do not even know what I am talking about...pretty frustrating when you know more about the product than the sales help does...any idea where in Southern CA I could find one?
Thanks
Jimmy

Collapse -
Same..

In reply to: Link Stick

Paleale11

Shoot me an email with the info I requested prior.

--HDTech

Collapse -
Link stick

In reply to: Same..

Info sent
Thank you very much.

Jimmy

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.