Video Cameras forum

General discussion

HDR-sr11 Memory stick duo or memory stick duo mark 2

I have not received the camera yet, but looked at a user manual on line and it says you can use a memory stick duo even if it is not Mark2 certified. Does anyone use just a standard memory stick duo and are able to record in HD without any problems.

Thanks,

J.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: HDR-sr11 Memory stick duo or memory stick duo mark 2
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: HDR-sr11 Memory stick duo or memory stick duo mark 2
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Performane

In reply to: HDR-sr11 Memory stick duo or memory stick duo mark 2

I see u can use either the memory stick duo with or with out Mark2. Is there much of a difference in performace or image quality? Noticable?

Collapse -
If you are THAT concerned about

In reply to: Performane

the video image quality, you would be getting a miniDV tape based camcorder. Since you are not, you will not notice any difference in the image quality by using whatever card you want to use - the card does not make any difference (presuming it works). The difference comes from the format of the video written to the storage media.

Collapse -
Write Speed

In reply to: OK

Write Speed
32Mbps (minimum)(When combined with optimized Memory Stick PRO format-compatible devices) on the mark 2.

Write Speed
15Mbps (minimum)(When combined with optimized Memory Stick PRO format-compatible devices) on the magic gate

This would seem to make a difference or am I wrong?

Collapse -
If you are suggesting that in order to

In reply to: Write Speed

hit that write speed that data - frames - would be dropped resulting in reduced video quality I would say that if that is the case then the manufacturer would not say it is OK to use the lesser memory stick. I believe you indicated that the manual says is OK to use.

As well, you have said that video image quality is important to you. If that is the case, then I suggest you investigate what the professionals use... I can tell you that 99% of them do not use consumer-grade internal hard drive or flash memory based camcorders. And 99% of them continue to use miniDV tape or any other storage media that saves using DV or HDV format video... not highly compressed MPEG2 or AVCHD.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.