Video Cameras forum

General discussion

HDR-SR1 Editing software and EXTERNAL MIC Problems

by seesync / November 16, 2006 3:22 PM PST

I was very excited about this camera after reading the reviews, and purchased one. I've decided to be patient with the lack of compatibility with any pro editing software and hope that everything catches-up soon. (I have Mac and the software that comes with the camera is not mac compatable)

Here's an issue that I'm not going to be so patient about:

I attached an external mic to my brand new HDR SR1 and immediately noticed a hissing noise coming through the headphones. When I hit record, the camera starts buzzing. The noise DOES record to the hard drive, and is present when I playback the video. I have since tested other types of pro-quality mics with the same bad outcome (dynamic condenser & wireless).

The reviews that I've read praise the fact that the HDR-SR1 has an external mic input. This feature is one of the reasons that I bought this camera. Too bad the audio that is recorded with the ext. mic is un-useable.

I have contacted Sony and am waiting for their response, but was wondering if anyone else is experiencing this problem.

Thanks!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: HDR-SR1 Editing software and EXTERNAL MIC Problems
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: HDR-SR1 Editing software and EXTERNAL MIC Problems
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
If it gets too frustrating, perhaps
by boya84 / November 16, 2006 10:05 PM PST

you can move to a HVR-A1... In the mean time, Whizkid frequents these boards and has an SR1 but has not mentioned that mic issue... Maybe there are others...

Collapse -
HDR-SR1 Editing software and EXTERNAL MIC Problems
by seesync / November 17, 2006 2:00 AM PST

Yeah....I already have a Z1U. I bought this SR1 because I wanted a much smaller option for some situations. I never expected the the audio to be pristine, but I do expect an advertised feature like the external mic to work. The buzz is really bad. Audio is un-usable.

Hopefully this is an isolated problem to my camera.

HOPEFULLY SONY WILL STEP UP TO THE PLATE, AND HELP ME RESOLVE THE PROBLEM WITHOUT PUTTING ME THROUGH AGONY (I've had the camera for less than a month and I've already sent it back to Sony)
-------------STAY TUNED FOR MORE ON THIS SUBJECT-----------------------

Collapse -
you're not alone
by openbox / December 13, 2006 4:35 PM PST

Hey seesync, i've got the same problem as you. (I might have replied to one of your other threads as well). So i guess that's bad news, meaning its not isolated to your camera. And my instinct tells me all of the SR1s do this.

I've been searching for answers and have found a small sign of hope. It looks like the few volts of power the camcorder is sending to the mic COULD be causing this noise. (notice how it says plug-in power next to the input) Sony's electret condenser mics use this power, but it may cause problems with other mics (like the ones you and I are using). A good troubleshooting step would be to try one of sony's mics with the SR1.

If this IS the cause of the problem, all you need is a capacitor between the mic and the camera to block this electrical signal. Haven't had any luck finding such an adapter though.

Well that's my input, however much help it was. I just hope Sony gives us a way to fix this.

Collapse -
Same problem -anyone know if the firmware update fixes it?
by torontopman / May 10, 2007 12:01 PM PDT
In reply to: you're not alone

Hi there,

I have exactly the same problem with this camera (external mic buzzing badly) and I have bought microphones from Sony that are recommended for the Sony HDR-SR1(e). I have been told by Sony that updating the firmware to the release from December 2006 might fix this issue. Has it corrected the problem for anyone else out there at all?

I'm going to try it (no harm in trying) but any additional information would be appreciated.

Thanks and regards.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?