General discussion

HDMI switch

I have a PS3 and am finally considering an Xbox 360. Basically I'm looking for a way to have both on and be able to switch from one machine to the other which I believe a switch will do (as opposed to a splitter which I was just looking up). If I'm wrong, please correct me, but I think I'm looking for a good (yet affordable) HDMI switch. I know nothing about them.
Thanks.

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: HDMI switch
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: HDMI switch
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Can be expensive.

Here's why. I have both of those and the XBOX and maybe the PS3 does not boot until it has a HDMI HANDSHAKE with the display. I make NO APOLOGY for why this is so. But this means to meet your spec, a simple HDMI switch will not suffice.

For your research:
http://www.google.com/search?q=instaport+hdmi+switch+box

So there it is. You can't have what you want. The answer is no.
Bob

- Collapse -
What model xbox do you have?

I have a 360-S, it starts up & goes to the dashboard when I am on a diffrent input or even when the tv is off it still starts up. I just tried while typing this.. tv is off 360-S is on.

- Collapse -
Now try that from

1. power off and not connected to any HDMI source.
2. Power up.

This does work if you have a newer HDTV with the instaport chip. But it didn't work on my or my son's Xbox 360's with the HDMI port. Just the 360 (we have two) and not the 360-S.
Bob

- Collapse -
Just tried this...

TV on.. I unpluged the HDMI with xbox off... Xbox turns on, I get a solid green dot in the center of the power button, pluged the HDMI back-in, it ran the green cycle outer ring thing (red on other models) & ready to go.

- Collapse -
Edit

Scratch the "red on other models" part, it is green too on working older models. Used to RRoD on my old boxs Silly

- Collapse -
360 s then?

I'm reading here that while it may not work on (older?) 360 models, I may actually be in luck with the 360 S? (love how wikipedia says it's a different model marketed with the same name. Just makes it so easy to find that exact model....)

My TV is a few years old (at least 3), is that going to make a difference?
Thanks.

- Collapse -
That's a good sign that your HDTV has the instaport feature.

Hope this helps you along.
Bob

- Collapse -
360 S

So then with my TV and an Xbox 360 S, I should be able to pull this off?

- Collapse -
Sorry.

I can't know this. I supplied the name of the technology but the problem is that I see no HDMI switch that has instaport in it.

CNET Forums

Forum Info