Samsung forum

General discussion

HDMI Sound issue on LE40N73BDX

by didihno / February 27, 2010 3:27 AM PST

Hi all,
First time poster.
I have had the above TV for nearly 3 years now, it was our first big purchase in our new house, as newly weds.
Well, we love it.
So last week we decided up get in Sky HD, to really use the quality of this set.
The Sky tech could not get sound to work with the HDMI cables (we tried three different brands in both HDMI ports).
He think the HDMI board is faulty and since we have never used the HDMI on this TV, I fully believe this has been the case since we purchased the thing.

Anyway one long phone call to Samsung support got me nowhere. Samsung wash their hands of our TV because it is out of warranty.
I am disgusted with this situation, but now I see this Samsung_HD_Tech guy here is doing great work, I hope he can help us too?
Samsung_HD_Tech guy, are you out there???!!! Heeeelp!!!!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: HDMI Sound issue on LE40N73BDX
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: HDMI Sound issue on LE40N73BDX
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
by didihno / February 28, 2010 4:39 AM PST

Any takers on a solution?

Collapse -
???
by didihno / March 4, 2010 1:07 AM PST

Is the tech back yet?

Collapse -
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / March 6, 2010 11:47 AM PST

didihno,

Sorry for the late reply, I was in meetings last week and had very limited time to respond.

Unfortunately, I don't have any contacts (or influence) on non-U.S. models. But in noting that you were able to get picture - and not sound - through the HDMI tells me one of two things: The cable type was not the correct one (v.1.3 cables), OR the audio output of the cable/sat box wasn't set to HDMI, but instead optical or analog.

Have you tried any other HDMI input to see if maybe the box had an issue or an incorrect setting?

--HDTech

Collapse -
hdmi
by didihno / March 6, 2010 9:00 PM PST

No problem Mr Tech sir!

Yeah we tried both the cable that came with the satellite box and another hdmi cable I already purchased for this puropse (without realising I didn't have to).

OK so first up I should find out what cable(s) I have.
Now correct me if I'm wrong but if I have 1.1 or 1.2 hdmi cables, should they not work with the TV regardless as it supports up to v1.3?
That sort of doesn't sound right!!!

I'll report back.
Can you also in the meantime find out for me if updating the firmware may also either help with this problem, or just be a good idea in general?
It is also worth noting that I cannot find the firmware for this generation of TV on Samsungs support site.

Mt thanks again!

Collapse -
by didihno / March 6, 2010 10:47 PM PST
In reply to: hdmi

Right, all cables are hdmi 1.3
One says 1.3b

So I have broken down to basics.
Sat Cable to STB.
Hdmi 1.3 cable from stb to tv.
Perfect picture, No sound (or if you put the TV volume right up there is a very low crackle with what sounds like the tv sound trying to get through).

Hdmi from (Samsung) home theater to TV, play DVD, perfect picture perfect sound (from home theatre). (This is how I checked all hdmi cables were working).

Sat Cable to STB.
SCART cable from stb to tv.
SD picture, sound.
Optical cable from TV to home theatre.
Turned down TV volume to zero, sound perfect from home theatre on Dolby 5.1, nice. Now if only the HD picture could be seen with the sound I'd be one very happy bunny.

That's where we are now, over to you Tech God!!!

Collapse -
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / March 11, 2010 12:00 PM PST
In reply to: 5

didihno,

Unfortunately, you're talking about a connection I'm not familiar with - SCART, so I'm going to ask a question or two that may possibly seem dumb, just because I'm not familiar with the history of the cable.

From what I can find, scart doesn't pass audio. So the audio you're looking for will go from the source - Sat box - directly to the Home Theater. The signal sent from the Satellite box should be digital, and that signal should be accepted by the set top box. Or am I missing something?

--HDTech

Collapse -
by didihno / March 12, 2010 5:55 AM PST
In reply to: 5

Yeah scart does carry sound and picture.
Reasonably well too, but not HD quality.

Forget about the scart cable though thats not the issue, i only mentioned it to point out the digital sound coming from my sat box is working, through the samsung home theater system into the TV in question.
When we replace these old cables with HDMI cables the sound ceases to function.
This is my issue.

To return to basics because its getting confusing, we have a 3 item system here. Samsung HDTV, Samsung HD Home Theater, (Sky) HD satelite box.
When all of this is connected up with old cables it works perfectly, but with no HD picture.
When all of this is connected up with HDMI 1.3 cables the picture is beautiful, but no sound.

I have since purchased an optical sound cable and tried to connect it from the sat box to the tv (no sound), and from the home theater to the TV (5.1 sound). I hoped this cable would override the sound channels in the HDMI cable but it did not. So now we still have and old fashioned scart cable carrying our picture and sound from the sat box to the TV, and an optical cable carry sound from the TV to the HT.

It is obvious to me still that there is an inherrent issue with the HDMI board on this TV, it is for me, the only explanation that I can think of, of course I'm not the tech god here mate you are!!!!

Collapse -
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / March 12, 2010 11:59 AM PST
In reply to: 6

didihno,

I appreciate the vote of confidence. Wink But unfortunately, I'm unable to pinpoint also.

The Sky Box's optical OUT should be going to the HT's optical IN. Once the cable is connected you should be able to go into the menu of the Sky box to change the optput setting to "digital", 'Optical" or "bitstream", and then send that signal into the HT system.

If that really doesn't solve the problem, then I would recommend calling the Samsung customer service center in your region to check it out. Maybe there's a retailer near you that you'd be able to explain, and he'd have more insight to offer (and that's might be a quick way).

The television itself wouldn't pass 5.1 from HDMI into the TV to optical out on the television. In the U.S., the only 5.1 signal that can come from the televisions is through the Over-the-air tuner. If you send a 5.1 HDMI signal in, it will go through the television, but convert down to stereo. That's how it is on the U.S. models, and unfortunately, I can't speak on your set.

Keep me posted.

--HDTech

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!