Samsung forum

General discussion

HDMI/PS3 not working

I recently started having problems with my PS3 and Samsung (LN52B530) TV.

Basically, the PS3 will not work when connected to the TV via HDMI. The PS3 works fine when connected via the regular A/V cables. Additionally, my Sony Blu-ray player also does not work via HDMI (but does work via A/V cables).

I know it is not the HDMI cable (I have tried 4 different cables) and I know the HDMI still works on the TV (my xbox360 works fine via HDMI on any of the 3 ports).

The PS3 and bluray player themselves work fine via HDMI on my other TV so there isn't a problem there.

It doesn't have anything to do with output settings because I have tried manually adjusting them to basically all possibilities.

Any other ideas what it could be? I tried calling Samsung tech support and they weren't very helpful.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: HDMI/PS3 not working
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: HDMI/PS3 not working
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
HDMI/PS3 not working

In reply to: HDMI/PS3 not working

ParthD,

What resolution are you sending from the Blu-Ray player and the PS3?

Are you getting "No Signal" or "Mode Not Supported" on the screen? "Mode Not Supported suggests that the TV detects a signal that is an unsupported resolution. "No Signal" suggests that the TV isn't receiving a signal at all, or a weak signal (or a bad cable).

You can try to change the settings of each player with both connectors attached in most cases, so change a setting in the player, and then switch from AV to HDMI to see if the picture appears.

--HDTech

Collapse -
HDMI/PS3 not working

Thanks for your reply. It's been such a hassle getting help on this issue.

I've tried sending all resolutions from my PS3. It says "No Signal" on the screen. It can't be the cable because I've tried 4 different ones and I have confirmed that all of them work (using the PS3 on another TV and my xbox360 on the same television).

What I did was I had both cables (AV and HDMI) connected to the TV. I was running the PS3 using the AV cables. Then I went to the settings and switched it to HDMI. It then switched to "No Signal". I've tried every possible setting in the PS3 and can't get it to display anything with HDMI. I'm fairly certain this isn't just something to do with the PS3 settings because the blu-ray player doesn't seem to work either (and in the past I used to just plug in either and it would work fine right away without any settings changes). I'll attempt to play around with the bluray players display settings using the AV cables to see if I can get a picture with HDMI. But I'm fairly certain it won't really help.

Do you have any other suggestions?

Collapse -
HDMI/PS3 not working

ParthD,

Unfortunately, not much to go on if you're trying to connect, disconnect and it's still not working. It may be the TV or the board that houses the HDMI connection. Without being able to inspect, I just don't know.

I might recommend service. If you're past the 12 months, try registering online (for U.S. customers, this offers an additional 3 months of warranty), and you may still qualify. You can do that by going here and clicking "Register your product".

http://www.samsung.com/us/support/

Then call the 800-SAMSUNG number, let them know that you registered to extend your warranty, and request a service call.

--HDTech

Collapse -
HDMI/PS3 not working

I am still within the 12 month warranty period. I'm just waiting for someone from Samsung tech support to call me back. Hopefully they can help me get this fixed.

Thanks for your help.

Collapse -
Samsung Runaround

So I've called Samsung a few times now. The first conversation I had ended with the agent saying he would get an engineer or technician to call me and try and sort this out. I received no call (why am I not surprised?).

Now they refuse to resolve this issue in any way. The agent says that since the xbox360 works, there must be nothing wrong with the TV and it must be the fault of the PS3 and bluray players. Despite the fact that the agent went on record as saying a PS3 should work, the fact that it doesn't is irrelevant. They are sticking to the fact that since the XBOX360 works, the TV must be fine.

Any idea what my next course of action is? I asked to speak to a supervisor and his response was the supervisor is busy and I should call back later.

Collapse -
Just checking.

In reply to: Samsung Runaround

I re-read your posts and can't tell if any HDMI device works or if ALL HDMI devices don't work.

Also to help out HD_Tech, post your transaction number.
Bob

Collapse -
RE: Just checking

In reply to: Just checking.

I wasn't given a transaction number. I'll call them again tomorrow and make sure I get one.

It is only my PS3 and Sony bluray player that do not work. XBOX360 works fine.

And like I said before, both devices work fine on another TV and they were working up til recently when they just stopped for some reason.

Collapse -
Ok, now that we have a working xbox.

In reply to: RE: Just checking

Bear with me here. I wonder if this is that old (new?) problem with the slim PS3? It seems to be picky on the cables used. And Samsung won't change the set if it's that.
Bob

Collapse -
Ok, now that we have a working xbox.

In reply to: Ok, now that we have a working xbox.

I don't think it could have anything to do with the cable (I've tried 3 different cables that are all confirmed to work using the XBOX360).

It is a PS3 slim. Not sure which problem you're referring to. Do you think you could link me to some info about it? I certainly don't mind going out and buying a specific HDMI cable if I need to.

Collapse -
Good.

In reply to: Ok, now that we have a working xbox.

Now you can research PS3 SLIM CABLE PROBLEMS. No need for me anymore.
Bob

Collapse -
Getting nowhere

In reply to: Good.

I've googled PS3 SLIM CABLE PROBLEMS to death and haven't found anything helpful.

The problem is it can't really be a cable thing. I have tried 3+ different HDMI cables and non of them work. To make matters more apparent, I have tried these same cables with the PS3 on another TV (Sony LCD) and it works perfectly fine.

Any other ideas?

Collapse -
Sorry.

In reply to: Getting nowhere

But the slim PS3 has at times been picky about cables. I only joined to see if I could clear this up a little. You've told me what I need to know but that won't help you out.

Let's hope it all works out for you.

I'm a bit surprised you can't find discussions like http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=SLIM+PS3+CABLE+PROBLEMS which folk report this issue.

Again, best of luck.
Bob

Collapse -
RE: Sorry.

In reply to: Sorry.

I've looked at all of these discussions and the majority of them just end up with no resolution or switching cables. But I have tried 4 different sets of HDMI cables now and none of them work. To make matters worse, all 4 of them work just fine with the same PS3 on our second TV.

I guess I could always try other cables, but I'm not too optimistic at this point. Any specific brands you recommend? I guess the most obvious choice is getting Sony cables so I'll try that out first.

Collapse -
Again sorry.

In reply to: Sorry.

The forum bottoms out after so many posts so I can't reply directly to you.

And sorry if you didn't find the posts where people went to bluejeans cables and picked up a cable with better or bigger conductors.

I can see you don't believe it so what's left other than to give you time to research this more?
Bob

Collapse -
Samsung Runaround

ParthD,

I'm sorry I came late to the discussion.

I do have one idea, although if this doesn't work, I have no idea why other devices would work, and then one doesn't (and then does on a different TV!). There could be lots of variables to explore.

But here's what I've got. Try to edit the name of the input (whichever one you're using) for your TV.

1. Connect and power on the PS3 and TV with HDMI (Pick an HDMI input). Even if you don't see a picture on the screen, the TV should recognize that the input connection exists.
2. Go to that input. Get to the point where the signal should be coming through and you would expect the picture to be there.

Now:

3. With your remote, press: MENU > INPUT > EDIT NAME

Now your options will be: VCR / DVD / Cable STB / Satellite STB / PVR STB / AV Receiver / Game / Camcorder / PC / DVI PC / DVI / TV / IPTV / Blu-ray
/ HD DVD / DMA

So scroll through those and see if the PS3 screen suddenly appears through any of those options - the input's settings will change as you scroll, so there shouldn't be a need to press "ENTER" and restart the process for each option listed above. If you get one that works, see if there are others and we can discuss the options after you get the picture up. There are some slight differences built in for different inputs and different devices, and it's worth trying to see if one of these settings "clicks" with the game console. (Particularly "Game").

--HDTech

Collapse -
Samsung Runaround

I just tried this and no luck Sad

Any thoughts on what else I could be trying? I'm going to order one of these blue jeans cables and hope that works. But I'm not too hopeful on that front.

Thanks for all the help.

Collapse -
I'd like to know

can you report if the "blue jeans cables" work or not??

Thank you

Collapse -
need newer version of HDMI ?

In reply to: I'd like to know

after google research, I came across to find out that there are different version of HDMI cable.

From what I found, it looks like there are
standard HDMI
high speed HDMI (I'm assuming it's HDMI 1.3?)
HDMI 1.4 (for 3D)

I know mine is high speed HDMI cable got it from amazon
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001TH8UUA/ref=oss_product

I'm guessing after PS3 introduce 3D games... it might upgrade the system FW to higher video output to cause the issue...???

just my 2 cents...

Collapse -
RE: need newer version of HDMI ?

In reply to: need newer version of HDMI ?

So you're suggesting I try an HDMI 1.4 cable? I've tried both standard and high speed but I haven't tried 1.4. I guess I'll give it a go. But I'm not really a fan of spending so much money and so many different HDMI cables lol

Collapse -
hmm...

In reply to: RE: need newer version of HDMI ?

I just tried to share what I "found" from my google search.... Wink

I understand it's not cool to keep spending money to buy different HDMI cable.... but big "IF" it solve your issue... it's actually the cheapest way and the fastest way (since it's $10 from amazon with high speed HDMI with 3D and dual audio channel... that's what it says)...

Collapse -
Apologies

In reply to: hmm...

Sorry, didn't mean to sound ungrateful. I appreciate the advice. I'm just a little frustrated now because everyone and their mother seems to think its the HDMI cables when I have tried god knows how many different ones. But I certainly haven't tried a 3D capable one. So we'll see how that goes.

Collapse -
no worry

In reply to: Apologies

Sorry....
I hope my replied didn't come across that I was upset about your comments...

I just wanted to clarify whatever I'm saying isn't necessary be the "solution" for you....

I do not have the same issue you are experiencing with... and currently it's working fine with one I got from amazon which is apparently "AmazonBasics High-Speed HDMI Cable [Supports 3D + Audio Return Channel]"

The reason why I'm looking for the solution to your issue... is my friend who I pushed him to buy PS3 over xbox360 :PP is having the very similar issue.

His PS3 has been working fine and suddenly stop displaying visual.
He said his audio is coming out from the speaker.
I suggested him to do the hard reset of PS3, therefore, it will auto detect video setting.

He tried it, and his TV displayed "it detct HDMI, and do you want to set it as HDMI" something like that line of message on the TV.
But then, it went blank again...

From this, I'm guessing his PS3 is "trying" to display visual, but somehow it's not.

That's how I came down to the conclusion it's probably the HDMI cable he uses.. (I have no idea what version of HDMI he has, nor he does).

I just ordered the same cable I have from amazon, and will have him try the cable...

I sure will let you know if it solve "his" issue...

Collapse -
RE: I'd like to know

In reply to: I'd like to know

Still haven't arrived. Will probably take a few weeks as I live in Canada. I'll report back once they do arrive.

Collapse -

In reply to: RE: I'd like to know

I meant the bluejeans cable hadn't arrived. Just realized it looked confusing based on the way the replies were set.

Collapse -

ParthD,

What output resolution is your PS3 set to? Have you tried changing the resolution to 720p or 1080i to see if that helps?

(Also, running through the editing of the name of the input..?)

I know it's asking a lot of work, but at the same time, I'd rather you have a solution.

--HDTech

Collapse -

Yup. I tried running through all of the input names to no avail. I also tried outputting each resolution 1 by 1. Nothing worked.

Collapse -
Cable cable cable cable and cable.

Collapse -
update

In reply to: Cable cable cable cable and cable.

my friend got the amazon cable, and he tried the cable...

UNFORTUNATELY, he said the cable didn't fix it...
he still don't get video/visual on his TV...

I take it... he have to take it to SONY now... Sad

Unless someone know the solution here...

Collapse -
Ouch.

Now it gets painful. I've demo'd this issue with the PS3 slim only a few times. I have not tried the Amazon cables but went with bluejean cables (they know this issue and will suggest the cable for this one.)

My first suggestion was blue jeans and then someone got an amazon cable. I am left to wonder why.

At this point you must try either the blue jeans cable suggested by blue jeans but the probability that something is wonky with the slim PS3 just went up a notch.
Bob

Collapse -
RE: Ouch.

In reply to: Ouch.

That's a different person whose talking about his friend lol

I'm still waiting for the BJC to arrive.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.