TVs & Home Theaters forum

General discussion

HDMI problems on blu ray and fibre optic cable not working?

by mypresenttense / January 12, 2010 1:17 AM PST

I had an LG dvd player that was a few years old. My son watches movies on it, and one day it stopped showing video. The sound still worked but video was not appearing in our 42 LG tv. It is the one that has a built in PVR. I think it's approximately 3 years old. I took this as an opportunity to upgrade to a Blu Ray. I got home and installed the Blu Ray with only the HDMI chord and the fibre optical sound surround chord thing. (Can you see I'm not technical) The set up screen showed up, but when it came to the part to test the HDMI input it gave me a "no input" all of the sudden on my tv. So, I started all over skippng the set up and put a DVD in it. The DVD came through with sound only going to my TV, not the sound surround in the amp to speakers where the fibre optic chord was plugged into my pioneer amp (again, 3 years old approximately). However, the video was slightly to the right, cutting the right off. When I tried to reset it, it simply did not give me a video at all. I plugged the HDMI into the second slot of the TV and got the same reaction. When I switched from the HDMI chord to a regular video yellow cable it worked perfectly. Obviously I would like to use the HDMI for better quality right? So when this worked I tried the DVD player and it worked. So what is wrong, the cable or TV? As well, the fibre optic cable is not giving a send to my amp. Is there a switch I need to switch to make it recieve the fibre optic send? Like I said, i can get volume through the tv, but I want to use a the new cable for sound surround. How can I figure out what is wrong? Do I need to buy a new amp for sound surround? The optic input has never been used so i don't know why it would not work? The red light shines through the cable when plugged into the Blu ray. Is there any way I can make for certain that it is not my TV, and amp, or the blu ray? Please help.

e

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: HDMI problems on blu ray and fibre optic cable not working?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: HDMI problems on blu ray and fibre optic cable not working?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
What I'm finding
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 12, 2010 1:24 AM PST

Are some failed HDMI cables. I read your post twice and see no mention of trying all cables.

Collapse -
HDMI cables
by mypresenttense / January 12, 2010 2:07 AM PST
In reply to: What I'm finding

I only have one thing in my house that can have a HDMI cable plugged into it. So, I was not able to troubleshoot that cable or the fibre optic one.

Does this sound like a cable issue?

Collapse -
Brace yourself.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 13, 2010 5:28 AM PST
In reply to: HDMI cables

Maybe.

Over in the Samsung forum the new PS3 SLIM is cropping up with "cable" being the usual answer and a few are confirming this.

The bad news is the retail stores charge a bit for these. I like blue jeans cables, monoprice and the ones I got from newegg, geeks.com

Bob

Collapse -
Figured it out.
by mypresenttense / January 13, 2010 6:39 AM PST
In reply to: Brace yourself.

So I went out and bought a new HDMI chord. Fished it through the wall only to find it doing the same thing. So, before throwing my tv, blu ray and amp out of the window, I thought. "I'm going to unplug the TV for 10 seconds." So I did, and low and behold, a screen. There is a God. Happy

Anyway, figured it out. Thanks for the help. Electronics can be frustrating.

www.wiegersfinancial.com
www.lawsoncares.org

Collapse -
And the Optic Cable part.
by mypresenttense / January 13, 2010 6:42 AM PST
In reply to: Figured it out.

Once the TV was fixed and I came down from my euphoric high, I remembered I had to fix the amp. So, with confidence I attacked. I had to go into the dvd inputs menu, and select optic input for sound. I, knowing nothing about electronics didn't realize it wasn't a simple plug and play.

Thanks again for the help.

e

Collapse -
Good to read.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 13, 2010 10:05 AM PST

The new HD gear and such is proving too finicky in my view. We need this stuff to just work.

Bob

Collapse -
Amen to that,
by minimalist / January 13, 2010 10:57 AM PST
In reply to: Good to read.

There should be no HDMI 1.0, 1.3, or1.4. There should just be HDMI and it should just work. Instead it works to confuse consumers and work against honest people because the content people are hysterical about piracy.. Same thing with Blu-ray profiles. There should have just been standard. There was no excuse for all those crappy 1.0 and 1.1 players.

These CE companies are getting sloppy and greedy. If its not ready, then don't put it out.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!