TVs & Home Theaters forum

General discussion

HDMI problems, Comcast box and Samsung tv

by Bruins17 / February 9, 2008 6:28 PM PST

Hey guys,

Hoping someone could help me out with this problem...I bought a brand new 32 inch Samsung LCD yesterday. I decided to go with the HDMI connection.

I have Comcast service at home, with a Motorola DCT3416 I box with Firmware 16.20. The picture is beautiful when it works...however:

The problem: Everytime I turn off my TV and I turn it back on, the screen is just blank. If I go to the back of the cable box and I unplug and plug back the HDMI connection, picture to the TV comes on immediately.

I've played around with all the HDMI settings on the cable box (turn the box off and press menu) and nothing seems to fix this problem.

I shouldn't have to do this everytime I wanna watch TV right???

Thank you for the help in advance.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: HDMI problems, Comcast box and Samsung tv
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: HDMI problems, Comcast box and Samsung tv
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Bought it yesterday?
by Coryphaeus / February 9, 2008 9:23 PM PST

Have you called Samsung?

Collapse -
There's HDMI and then there's HDMI
by samkh / February 10, 2008 12:50 AM PST

Because it implements HDCP, the source and destination may not be handshaking properly (thinks you are trying to steal the content). Did you try powering off the Comcast box when turning off TV and then power both on again?

Collapse -
by Bruins17 / February 10, 2008 8:33 AM PST

i've found that if i power off the box and power it back on, it works the same as if i unplugged the hdmi cord and replugged it back in...the picture comes back up immediately.

but i shouldn't have to do that right? what a pain to have to A. unplug and replug back in the hdmi cable or B. power the box on and off everytime i want to watch tv!

there has to be a fix for this...

Collapse -
I had same problem with my sony kds-xbr150
by brianj112561 / February 10, 2008 12:04 PM PST

I had the same problem with my sony.Every once in a while I would turn on my tv and got just a green screen.It's funny that as soon as I bought a new tv xbr2 the problem dissapeared.I believe its a hdmi and communication problem with you box.The only thing you can do is to go back to component video cables until they come up with a fix.

Collapse -
by Riverledge / February 23, 2008 9:14 AM PST

Collapse -
I am just curious...
by stuntman_mike / February 11, 2008 1:03 AM PST

when you say you powered off the cable box and then back on again, are you talking about hitting the power button on the remote or doing a power reset by unplugging the box for 10 seconds?

If it is the latter, I can definitely understand how annoying that would be. But if it is just turning the box off when you turn your TV off and then turning both back on, I would not see the big deal in that.

Cable boxes and HDMI can be very funky. I don't have Comcast so I don't know about that box, but maybe they have a newer (or older) box, or one from a different manufacturer, that you might swap with and see if that helps.

If not, then the last option would be to get a different TV which is obviously not the best option.

Call Comcast though and see if they know anything about this issue and to also see if there are other options for boxes.

Good luck

Collapse -
Same Problem
by bill.krueger / February 12, 2008 10:12 AM PST
In reply to: I am just curious...

I just bought a 19" Samsung LCD TV a few days ago and I'm having the same exact problem! I also have Comcast with the same box. There has to be a solution to this problem, it is really annoying... Anyone else been able to fix this?

Collapse -
Get them to switch out the box
by Bruins17 / February 17, 2008 5:41 PM PST
In reply to: Same Problem

Hi Bill,

I had comcast get me one of their new DCH boxes, with firmware 18.34 and that has fixed my problem completely.

Their old DCT boxes with firmware 16.20 was the problem. They had an attitude too when I tried to switch out my box so don't let them get snippy with you! They all try and pretend that the DCT boxes are fine when they in fact know that the 16.20 firmware is crap.

Good luck!

Collapse -
Any other solution...
by Lummer1 / February 23, 2008 8:40 AM PST

I am experiencing the same issues, I tried a new HDMI cable and I just tried swapping out Comcast cable boxes with the newest model they have, and still no luck. Either the picture just comes in and out or no reception at all.

Really frustrated to think that my 46' Samsung HD LCD tv just gets plain old 480 feed now...

Anyone else with any solutions?

Collapse -
The new box fixed it
by bill.krueger / February 24, 2008 11:38 PM PST

Thanks Bruins --

I just spent the last week dealing with all the incompetent people at Comcast attempting to get a new DCH-3416 with the 18.34 firmware. I finally went to the service center and got one myself, and when I got it home it was stuck in some ridiculous reboot mode. After going to the service center two more times (the first time they said they didn't have any DCH boxes and tried to tell me the DCT box was fine, like you anticipated). Finally, I got a working DCH-3416 and the problem was indeed solved.

It's sad when we know more about Comcast cable boxes than their employees do....

Collapse -
by Lummer1 / February 25, 2008 8:53 AM PST
In reply to: The new box fixed it

So, the cable box actually solved it? I thought I eliminated that possibility by swtiching out two boxes and still no picture. After I switched out new HDMI cables, I just figured it was now my HDMI input for the TV...arghh so frustrating, I simply went back to coax cable. But down the line I guess I will have to try a new cable box again...

Collapse -
Check your firmware
by bill.krueger / February 25, 2008 9:01 AM PST
In reply to: Box...
Collapse -
yeah that's the page i used too...
by Bruins17 / February 26, 2008 11:16 AM PST
In reply to: Check your firmware

Hey Bill,

Yeah that page on wikipedia is great...i used that page to realize that the firmware 16.20 was the problem and that the new DCH boxes should solve our problem.

It really is sad that Comcast won't work harder to just phase out the old boxes. They've had the DCH boxes since like June of last year. I really don't understand their business model.

Why keep unhappy customers in the dark when you have a newer and better product? And then treating us like we are idiots and that we don't know what we are talking about?

Very frustrating to say the least.

Collapse -
I have a DCH3416 still exhibits same problem
by blhahn00 / March 14, 2008 7:16 AM PDT

I just swapped out my DCT3416 for the newer DCH3416 after mine started giving me troubles this past Sunday. Not sure what the firmware version is (will check tonight), but I still have the same problem. I will more than likely switch back to Component.

Collapse -
Green Screen
by brianh62 / March 14, 2009 3:40 PM PDT

I am having the same problem. I just switched to comcast from DTV and this started about 2 weeks in. It would come and go, at first I would have to turn everything off and back on and it work. This week it turned green and can't get it back. Great sound, no picture. I know they gave me a used box so I am getting it changed, Monday 3/16. I will let you know

Collapse -
comcast and hdmi w/8300HD
by brooksie13 / January 8, 2012 12:34 AM PST
In reply to: Green Screen

to get audio via hdmi cable, go to main menu, audio, and change to audio via hdmi - been trying to get this to work for 2 weeks and found this site and i am now working

Collapse -
Not always this simple
by Pepe7 / January 8, 2012 1:03 AM PST

Keep in mind the date of this thread, and the fact that Comcast has an array of boxes with different firmwares/slight different user settings.

Popular Forums
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
Laptops 21,181 discussions
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
Phones 17,137 discussions
Security 31,287 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?